Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Chai Kotsume

Re: Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Post by Chai Kotsume » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 am

Yuzuru wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 pm
"The price was worth it, Chai-san. And no, no fishing since. Now I have a furry friend to fetch fish for me."

He put his hand to where Hsieh-Hsieh should have been, but he was busy sharing fish with an otter and growling vulpine wisdom.

"Ah, I can hear him, so he's nearby. I assume someone gave him a fish?"
She smiles kindly at the consort's words, and her own come out with a tone that is full of kindness and admiration. "Of course, Yuzuru-heika", she says, chuckling a bit. "And hai! He's actually sharing a carp with little chuuen", she adds, happily.

"He's also a good fisher and eager to share, then, eh?", she asks cheerfully. "If Yuzuru-heika would enjoy the feeling of catching some fish again, we could probably arrange that. It... would depend on the weather, but still. Although... of course, only if that is something you would actually enjoy. I'm... not sure doing that again is something that you would like, understanding the importance of your gift and of your acceptance of it."

Her words are kind and still full of admiration - this is clearly her first time near one of such importance, and to her own surprise, she feels quite moved.
Last edited by Chai Kotsume on Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:07 am

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:39 pm
Sasori saw an open bench and took a seat. She will watch people go by but her mind elsewhere not paying much attention to any particular thing.
A young woman- no, not yet, but almost, she looked to be about twelve- cautiously approached the Scorpion.

She was bundled up, but her mismatched eyes-one brown, one green- were plainly visible.

"Good morning, Scorpion-sama."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:34 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:07 am

A young woman- no, not yet, but almost, she looked to be about twelve- cautiously approached the Scorpion.

She was bundled up, but her mismatched eyes-one brown, one green- were plainly visible.

"Good morning, Scorpion-sama."
Sasori snapped from her reverie and looked to the young lady calling upon her. "Huh? Good morning." She blinked a few times. "Um... hai... have you been blessed by Inari?"
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:52 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 pm
"Seeing without eyes? I supposed you talked with the Consort about this one?

A common theme seems to be the reinforcement of the body, and I'm wondering if there's a price to pay for that. If you use a kiho to run twice as fast, do you to rest four times longer than usual after the race?"

Ayumu bowed:

"My apologies Akodo-sama, I got lost in my curiosity and forgot all my manners. Jiyo Ayumu, born of the Isawa, now servant of Shiba.

Did you also train with the Order of Heroes to acquire such technique?"
"It has not been discussed by me, as I don't actually know any of the kiho that allow it. But I have witnessed it in action," he says, shaking his head. "It isn't the same as sight though. I saw two different versions. One could sense anything moving many yards away. The other simply sensed life in a shorter range. Neither would enable a person to see a path, only to see that there are people nearby. You would presumably be able to walk amongst a crowd easier than doing so by sound, and potentially be able to defend yourself better if you are attacked, but it does not replace the most common practical uses for sight."
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:16 am

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:34 am
Sasori snapped from her reverie and looked to the young lady calling upon her. "Huh? Good morning." She blinked a few times. "Um... hai... have you been blessed by Inari?"
"Inari-no-kami has been most kind. I trust you have been similarly blessed? I, ah... I didn't want to, well... pry. But I had the good fortune to visit Bayushi-kami's lands about two years ago, and... I have questions?"

A pause

"My apologies, my name is Jiyo Phi "
Last edited by Jiyo Sora on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Akodo Moshi

Post by Akodo Moshi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:35 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 pm
Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm
snip
"Seeing without eyes? I supposed you talked with the Consort about this one?

A common theme seems to be the reinforcement of the body, and I'm wondering if there's a price to pay for that. If you use a kiho to run twice as fast, do you to rest four times longer than usual after the race?"
Akodo Moshi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm
snip
Ayumu bowed:

"My apologies Akodo-sama, I got lost in my curiosity and forgot all my manners. Jiyo Ayumu, born of the Isawa, now servant of Shiba.

Did you also train with the Order of Heroes to acquire such technique?"
"It is quite alright Jiyo-sama. These techniques are quite interesting in even their simplest forms. I have, in fact, had a little training from a monk of the order. They said it would help me to fulfil my destiny."
Honor: What is expected Status: 1.0 Glory: 3
Lion Clan *Shugenja * Blessed by Air *Sage *Great Expectations *Humbled
Current influence: 1

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:57 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:16 am
"Inari-no-kami has been most kind. I trust you have been similarly blessed? I, ah... I didn't want to, well... pry. But I had the good fortune to visit Bayushi-kami's lands about two years ago, and... I have questions?"

A pause

"My apologies, my name is Jiyo Phi "
Sasori smiled "I have been blessed. This one is Bayushi Sasori. It is an honor to meet you Jiyo sama." Sasori gave a seated bow. At the question Sasori's blinked a few times. "Well, I hope I can answer them." She motioned the girl seat beside her.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:04 am

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:57 am
Sasori smiled "I have been blessed. This one is Bayushi Sasori. It is an honor to meet you Jiyo sama." Sasori gave a seated bow. At the question Sasori's blinked a few times. "Well, I hope I can answer them." She motioned the girl seat beside her.
"Oh, I'm no -sama, Bayushi-sama... especially not to... anyway. Right. Questions."

Phi took a deep breath.

"What does Lord Bayushi look for in his followers? I mean, I can read the accounts in the Library, and we have some Scorpion writings, but..."

She fidgeted a little.

"I'm curious to hear from someone who isn't writing for general consumption."

Current Theme

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:04 am
"Oh, I'm no -sama, Bayushi-sama... especially not to... anyway. Right. Questions."

Phi took a deep breath.

"What does Lord Bayushi look for in his followers? I mean, I can read the accounts in the Library, and we have some Scorpion writings, but..."

She fidgeted a little.

"I'm curious to hear from someone who isn't writing for general consumption."
Sasori took out her fan and placed it on her chin thinking. She was born in the clan and had to think about her mother's stories. "Ah... Interesting question Lady Jiyo. I think he looks for curious people and people who don't give in so easily." She nodded. "People that can keep secrets and know how to use them."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:16 am

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am
Sasori took out her fan and placed it on her chin thinking. She was born in the clan and had to think about her mother's stories. "Ah... Interesting question Lady Jiyo. I think he looks for curious people and people who don't give in so easily." She nodded. "People that can keep secrets and know how to use them."
"So in that sense, the Scorpion are a bit like the Crane? The Crane keep secrets too, they just act like they don't..."

She seemed to be thinking out loud.

"Makes the Scorpion seem more... no, not exactly... sorry, sorry. Uhm... thank you for that answer, Bayushi-sama. My next query... are you getting cold out here? You were sitting still, which is a great way to let the chill set in..."

Current Theme

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:16 am

"So in that sense, the Scorpion are a bit like the Crane? The Crane keep secrets too, they just act like they don't..."

She seemed to be thinking out loud.

"Makes the Scorpion seem more... no, not exactly... sorry, sorry. Uhm... thank you for that answer, Bayushi-sama. My next query... are you getting cold out here? You were sitting still, which is a great way to let the chill set in..."
Sasori shook her head. "We just don't find the same secrets." As for the cold pertaining question Sasori shrugged. "I was not thinking on the cold. Besides the layers of kimono keep me warm. Also..." Sasori opened the fan to cover her giggle. "I don't need much to keep warm if I so wish."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:17 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm
Sasori shook her head. "We just don't find the same secrets." As for the cold pertaining question Sasori shrugged. "I was not thinking on the cold. Besides the layers of kimono keep me warm. Also..." Sasori opened the fan to cover her giggle. "I don't need much to keep warm if I so wish."
"Oh? Dad always talks about the Spine of the World, and he doesn't seem tog et cold, and when my sister and visited the Dragon, we saw what he meant, but... it sounds like your method's a little... different?"

Current Theme

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:25 pm
Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:22 pm
"Uh, no, Togashi-sama," the Lion says with a chuckle. "This is not for beginners. I could rescue you from that water, but it wouldn't be easy or pleasant for either of us," she says, very seriously. "Perhaps we start small, like with the hot springs?" Kawauso says in a kind voice, although her eyes have given away the joke as soon as she starts to say it.
"As long as we're not troubling other bathers, I suppose that could be a good idea. I like heat better than co--- achooo!" Satsuki made sure to turn away and cover her face as she sneezed. Once more there seemed to be a tiny littly flicker of light hidden beind her sleeved arms that covered the face.
Concern crossing her face, Kawauso reached out to help warm the Dragon. She kept enough propriety not to fully hug the other woman, as she might have done with a chilled person back home, and instead rubbed her upper arm a couple of times. It was gentle and brief, and Kawauso clearly wasn't thinking about it.

"Oh Togashi-sama! I shouldn't be keeping you out here," the Lion fusses. "Um, I could take you inside. I make a pretty good wind blocker. Or, just, I should let you go, if you wish..." Concern mixing with respect to Satsuki's station produces a jumble in Kawauso's thoughts.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:49 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:17 pm

"Oh? Dad always talks about the Spine of the World, and he doesn't seem tog et cold, and when my sister and visited the Dragon, we saw what he meant, but... it sounds like your method's a little... different?"
"I am yet to visit the Spine of the World mountains. I visited a town south of the Seiketsu mountains though. Never crossed north." She nodded. "It is the first town to feel the frost of winter." She tilted her head puzzled. "Why do you think they are different?"

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:57 pm

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 am
She smiles kindly at the consort's words, and her own come out with a tone that is full of kindness and admiration. "Of course, Yuzuru-heika", she says, chuckling a bit. "And hai! He's actually sharing a carp with little chuuen", she adds, happily.

"He's also a good fisher and eager to share, then, eh?", she asks cheerfully. "If Yuzuru-heika would enjoy the feeling of catching some fish again, we could probably arrange that. It... would depend on the weather, but still. Although... of course, only if that is something you would actually enjoy. I'm... not sure doing that again is something that you would like, understanding the importance of your gift and of your acceptance of it."

Her words are kind and still full of admiration - this is clearly her first time near one of such importance, and to her own surprise, she feels quite moved.
"Shi . . . the Emperor would not be happy for me to be risking myself ice fishing I'm afraid. It took a little convincing just for this little trip here. Visit I should say! Not trip! We don't want to foretell nasty accidents do we?"

He laughed, drawing a raised eyebrow stare from his vulpine companion.

"More seriously. I have left that life behind. It was simpler but the World has changed after the Kami fell from the Heavens. We all have to adjust and accept our new roles."
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Glory 4.0 * Status 9.9 * Honour As expected

Accompanied by Hsieh-Hsieh Image

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:56 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:25 pm
Concern crossing her face, Kawauso reached out to help warm the Dragon. She kept enough propriety not to fully hug the other woman, as she might have done with a chilled person back home, and instead rubbed her upper arm a couple of times. It was gentle and brief, and Kawauso clearly wasn't thinking about it.

"Oh Togashi-sama! I shouldn't be keeping you out here," the Lion fusses. "Um, I could take you inside. I make a pretty good wind blocker. Or, just, I should let you go, if you wish..." Concern mixing with respect to Satsuki's station produces a jumble in Kawauso's thoughts.
While a little bit startled at first from the Lion helping her warm up, Satsuki didn't put up a protest. So the Lion were huggers but the Crane were not?!

"I'll be fine! Don't you have to look after things here, hm? In case someone falls into the water, you need to save them, right?" And weren't there otters too to look after?

"But I probably should take a warm bath after this, to stave off the chill. Ko though, she'd probably be lifting me up and carrying me indoors now! So... let's not tell her, neh?" Satsuki shared a conspiratorial smile with Kawauso, complete with holding a finger up to her own mouth.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:56 pm

While a little bit startled at first from the Lion helping her warm up, Satsuki didn't put up a protest. So the Lion were huggers but the Crane were not?!

"I'll be fine! Don't you have to look after things here, hm? In case someone falls into the water, you need to save them, right?" And weren't there otters too to look after?

"But I probably should take a warm bath after this, to stave off the chill. Ko though, she'd probably be lifting me up and carrying me indoors now! So... let's not tell her, neh?" Satsuki shared a conspiratorial smile with Kawauso, complete with holding a finger up to her own mouth.
The Lion smiles in a way that suggests right now she'd rather escort the Dragon, but she just says, "Thank you for reminding me to be a good host. Although I'm sure my sister could look after things just fine," she says, a more general and prideful smile taking over.

She shares in the conspiratorial smile, nodding at Satsuki's request. There's another gentle rub of the Dragon's arm as Kawauso says, "I'll look forward to those swimming lessons. As Togashi-sama's availability allows, of course," she says with a warm smile and small bow of her head as she takes a step back.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:49 pm
"I am yet to visit the Spine of the World mountains. I visited a town south of the Seiketsu mountains though. Never crossed north." She nodded. "It is the first town to feel the frost of winter." She tilted her head puzzled. "Why do you think they are different?"
"More the way you put it, I think, Bayushi-sama." Phi smiled. "Or perhaps I'm reading too much into word choice..."

Current Theme

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:14 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm
The Lion smiles in a way that suggests right now she'd rather escort the Dragon, but she just says, "Thank you for reminding me to be a good host. Although I'm sure my sister could look after things just fine," she says, a more general and prideful smile taking over.

She shares in the conspiratorial smile, nodding at Satsuki's request. There's another gentle rub of the Dragon's arm as Kawauso says, "I'll look forward to those swimming lessons. As Togashi-sama's availability allows, of course," she says with a warm smile and small bow of her head as she takes a step back.
"Uncle Yuzuru is here, so it's important to keep in mind being a good host. Even if he and Hsieh-Hsieh-sama seems very occupied at the moment," she laughed a bit, having seen the old fox devour the fishies happily.

"Let's go for a swim tomorrow then, yes? I haven't been invited to anything important after court is held, so I should be free to take those lessons."
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm

Kuu wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:52 am
"It has not been discussed by me, as I don't actually know any of the kiho that allow it. But I have witnessed it in action," he says, shaking his head. "It isn't the same as sight though. I saw two different versions. One could sense anything moving many yards away. The other simply sensed life in a shorter range. Neither would enable a person to see a path, only to see that there are people nearby. You would presumably be able to walk amongst a crowd easier than doing so by sound, and potentially be able to defend yourself better if you are attacked, but it does not replace the most common practical uses for sight."
"A pedleg is never as good as the original leg, but can still help with supporting the body quite well. Simply being able to know the position of people around you more accurately that with sound alone would ease the life of a number of persons with poor sight.

Are these techniques particularly hard to learn? If I may ask, how long did it take to master your own?"
Akodo Moshi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm
"It is quite alright Jiyo-sama. These techniques are quite interesting in even their simplest forms. I have, in fact, had a little training from a monk of the order. They said it would help me to fulfil my destiny."
"A long time ago I witnessed Shinsei himself look at people in a crowd, and pick a few of them that he said were destined for a task of the greatest importance. He explained his choice by a mix of criteria, some very down-to-earth, other deeply spiritual and mystical.

Did something similar happen to you?

The task ended up a great success by the way."
Imperial • Bushi • Isawa Tribe • Experienced