[Day 6 - EE] The Play Observation Thread

Togashi Satsuki

Re: [Day 6 - EE] The Play Observation Thread

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:03 am

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:38 pm
Hikaru frowned. "That... hmmm." He considered that for a few moments more. "Perhaps it isn't." He said. There was another considered pause.

After a few moments, he looked at her. "Even in private, even in my thoughts, Lady Doji is always Lady Doji to me. When I painted her..." He held up one hand, as though remembering the feel of the brush, "-I painted her as I saw her. Or, I think I did, anyway. It was a challenge."

He shrugged, his shoulders barely moving. "But art is how I express myself." A beat. "Except for singing, perhaps." His lips shifted.
"There's nothing wrong with that," Satsuki assured him, her voice warm. "That you always think of her as Lady Doji. If anything, I think she likes that. She's always very proper, after all. And - I think it makes her happy that you are so proper."

If Doji could be happy at all these days. She liked to think that there were little things that made her aunt feel better still.

"Art is still expression even if it doesn't turn out how we want, no? As some of the Saru say, expressing through art is channeling the feelings of the soul. Something you might feel is a failed attempt at painting might just be the proper expression of your soul?"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:04 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:20 am
-snip-
Doji Dojihime wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:44 am
-snip-
Misaki gave one last bow to the Doji princess for her attention and insight; While she was pretty compulsive in her own views, what Dojihime said had made sense. Even as a crafter, sometimes one needed to find the essence of a thing, rather than be literal about it.

With the other Crane turning her attention elsewhere, Misaki turned to Ayano and gave her hand a private little squeeze, "Thank you for coming with me; It was nice to have support, even if my silly worries were easy enough to allay it seems. Would you like me to return you to your seat, or did you wish to mingle a bit more before anything else?"
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 am

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:03 am
"There's nothing wrong with that," Satsuki assured him, her voice warm. "That you always think of her as Lady Doji. If anything, I think she likes that. She's always very proper, after all. And - I think it makes her happy that you are so proper."

If Doji could be happy at all these days. She liked to think that there were little things that made her aunt feel better still.

"Art is still expression even if it doesn't turn out how we want, no? As some of the Saru say, expressing through art is channeling the feelings of the soul. Something you might feel is a failed attempt at painting might just be the proper expression of your soul?"
Hikaru looked at her a moment, and then smiled. "Yes. I think she does like it. Or at least I can hope." His gaze went distant a moment. "She shows her appreciation in little ways. She may seem..." Hikaru chose his word here carefully, "-reserved. But whenever I was assisting her, and it was just the two of us, she would always ask about my mother, or my sensei, or how my latest piece was progressing. Very proper, of course, and just a courtesy. But I think courtesy can be a kindness." His gaze returned to Satsuki. Sometimes kindness was more direct.

As she went on, Hikaru's eyes widened, just a little. "That is just as I see art. For a failed attempt, though..." As he so often did, Hikaru pursed his lips as he considered. "Sometimes, when painting, I feel as though there's something I'm just missing. It is like trying to find the perfect word, and being unable to think of it. But perhaps I'm just not quite finding the right part of myself." Another pause. "I will consider that." He said, and indeed, his brow creased as he thought back to all his recent painting attempts...
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 am

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 am
Hikaru looked at her a moment, and then smiled. "Yes. I think she does like it. Or at least I can hope." His gaze went distant a moment. "She shows her appreciation in little ways. She may seem..." Hikaru chose his word here carefully, "-reserved. But whenever I was assisting her, and it was just the two of us, she would always ask about my mother, or my sensei, or how my latest piece was progressing. Very proper, of course, and just a courtesy. But I think courtesy can be a kindness." His gaze returned to Satsuki. Sometimes kindness was more direct.

As she went on, Hikaru's eyes widened, just a little. "That is just as I see art. For a failed attempt, though..." As he so often did, Hikaru pursed his lips as he considered. "Sometimes, when painting, I feel as though there's something I'm just missing. It is like trying to find the perfect word, and being unable to think of it. But perhaps I'm just not quite finding the right part of myself." Another pause. "I will consider that." He said, and indeed, his brow creased as he thought back to all his recent painting attempts...
She chuckled a little bit. "The Saru, and my mother, have such a philosophical and spiritual approach to art. A bit different than what the Crane practice, from what I hear, but... I think both points are valid? As I've heard it said; some times there's just no deeper meaning to rice."
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:57 am

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 am
She chuckled a little bit. "The Saru, and my mother, have such a philosophical and spiritual approach to art. A bit different than what the Crane practice, from what I hear, but... I think both points are valid? As I've heard it said; some times there's just no deeper meaning to rice."
"Hmmm." Hikaru smiled at that; indeed, his hmmm was almost a chuckle. "Quite."

"But I think you're right." He said. "And there's good reason that the Saru are respected among the Crane. I imagine the reverse was true." Hikaru said it with confidence; he was a Crane, after all.

He suddenly looked at her, his expression interested. "But you said this was your first play? Do the Dragon perform plays like this? Or..." He frowned. "The Ayakashi favored storytelling, didn't they?"
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 am

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 am
"They must be fortunate and skilled, indeed, to have earned your trust," Gusai says. "But that'd still leave you in the position of showing favor in your own presence. Or would you remain here, a jewel in the crown of the Imperial City? Few would fault you for it, I think."

He cups his chin.

"But, yes, there is a pleasure in the burden of too much work. Which leads me to ask, what is it that the most graceful bloom in the camellia bouquet does for pleasure?"
"I suppose it is as with any courtly matter - you pay attention to where ones talents are needed most and aim in that direction. Though anywhere that lets me travel somewhere new would be enjoyable. Tea and travel are certainly two main loves. I dabble in the arts but enjoy consuming them more than performing myself."
Shadowlands • Harbinger • Sweet Dreams are Made of These
Escándalo: ∞

Anjing Sagara

Post by Anjing Sagara » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 am

"bravo!" applauded the crab while raising up to cheer the show, still humming some of the songs. "wonderful" she added to the samurai next to her.
Anjing Sagara
Crab Clan ❖ Shugenja ❖ Contrary ❖ Disturbing scar from intense burn
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 1.0 ❖ Expected Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, Scroll Satchel. in battle: Scroll Satchel, Die Tsuchi

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:30 am

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 am
"I suppose it is as with any courtly matter - you pay attention to where ones talents are needed most and aim in that direction. Though anywhere that lets me travel somewhere new would be enjoyable. Tea and travel are certainly two main loves. I dabble in the arts but enjoy consuming them more than performing myself."
Gusai nods understandingly.

"I can see that," he says. "But then, I am a sailor, so travel is much of what I do."

He blinks, cocks his head slightly, and asks "Where all would you like to go?"
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:30 am
Gusai nods understandingly.

"I can see that," he says. "But then, I am a sailor, so travel is much of what I do."

He blinks, cocks his head slightly, and asks "Where all would you like to go?"
"I have not yet had a chance to see the lands being settled by the Ki-Rin and I hear they are a beautiful sight."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:16 pm
"I have not yet had a chance to see the lands being settled by the Ki-Rin and I hear they are a beautiful sight."
"Nor have I," Gusai affirms. "A bit far inland for my usual travels, to be sure. But maybe I can ride the river upstream enough...

"How does travel by boat strike you?" he asks.
Otomo Gusai

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:57 am
"Hmmm." Hikaru smiled at that; indeed, his hmmm was almost a chuckle. "Quite."

"But I think you're right." He said. "And there's good reason that the Saru are respected among the Crane. I imagine the reverse was true." Hikaru said it with confidence; he was a Crane, after all.

He suddenly looked at her, his expression interested. "But you said this was your first play? Do the Dragon perform plays like this? Or..." He frowned. "The Ayakashi favored storytelling, didn't they?"
"My first play as an actor!" Satsuki confirmed. "Some of the Saru have put on plays too, but... storytelling still remains more popular than plays are. I wonder why. Maybe it's different when people are pretending to be the ones from the stories and legends, compared to telling the tale about them?" She wasn't quite sure herself if she preferred storytelling.

"But yes, I'd say there is a respect for the artistry of the Crane among the Saru. I know mother is very fond of all the various arts and artforms introduced by Lady Doji." She made an effort now to say the more proper title, thinking it would cheer up Hikaru.
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:04 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm
"My first play as an actor!" Satsuki confirmed. "Some of the Saru have put on plays too, but... storytelling still remains more popular than plays are. I wonder why. Maybe it's different when people are pretending to be the ones from the stories and legends, compared to telling the tale about them?" She wasn't quite sure herself if she preferred storytelling.

"But yes, I'd say there is a respect for the artistry of the Crane among the Saru. I know mother is very fond of all the various arts and artforms introduced by Lady Doji." She made an effort now to say the more proper title, thinking it would cheer up Hikaru.
"It is." Hikaru said, grimacing gently. "I think if I'd had to tell a story about Lord Nanzi, I might have done better. Even if I'd been singing the story." He pursed his lips. "Something about portraying a legend, when I am not yet one of my own." His tone was humble, even with the yet.

The use of Lady Doji's full title earned Satsuki a curious look from Hikaru, his eyebrows going up. After a moment, his lips shifted, in that almost a smile sort of way that he did. "I am pleased to hear that." He said. "Does she have a favorite? Or do you? Painting, bonsai... poetry, perhaps?" He asked, still smiling just a little.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:04 pm
"It is." Hikaru said, grimacing gently. "I think if I'd had to tell a story about Lord Nanzi, I might have done better. Even if I'd been singing the story." He pursed his lips. "Something about portraying a legend, when I am not yet one of my own." His tone was humble, even with the yet.

The use of Lady Doji's full title earned Satsuki a curious look from Hikaru, his eyebrows going up. After a moment, his lips shifted, in that almost a smile sort of way that he did. "I am pleased to hear that." He said. "Does she have a favorite? Or do you? Painting, bonsai... poetry, perhaps?" He asked, still smiling just a little.
"Mother? Hmmm... I think it might be painting, now that I think about it. But she's good at almost anything she tries. Like, during the expedition to save uncle Hisomu, she made a banner with embroidered symbols of each clan in just a small number of days!" There was mostly with admiration that she spoke, but also a little bit of that I'll never be that good-vibe. "But yeah, her paintings are beautiful... and she writes beautiful poems too."

A brief sigh as a touch of homesickness came over her.

"As for me... I liked bonsai when I tried that..." she fidgeted a little with her sleeves. "I like poetry too. Just... not that good at it... There's just so many rules to a good poem! It's very annoying!"

The princess did protest too much.
Theme | Profile

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:15 pm
"Nor have I," Gusai affirms. "A bit far inland for my usual travels, to be sure. But maybe I can ride the river upstream enough...

"How does travel by boat strike you?" he asks.
"I have enjoyed the few occasions I have had for such journeys."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 pm
"I have enjoyed the few occasions I have had for such journeys."
"By river, by sea, or both?" Gusai asks. Details matter, after all.
Otomo Gusai

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:43 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 pm
"Mother? Hmmm... I think it might be painting, now that I think about it. But she's good at almost anything she tries. Like, during the expedition to save uncle Hisomu, she made a banner with embroidered symbols of each clan in just a small number of days!" There was mostly with admiration that she spoke, but also a little bit of that I'll never be that good-vibe. "But yeah, her paintings are beautiful... and she writes beautiful poems too."

A brief sigh as a touch of homesickness came over her.

"As for me... I liked bonsai when I tried that..." she fidgeted a little with her sleeves. "I like poetry too. Just... not that good at it... There's just so many rules to a good poem! It's very annoying!"

The princess did protest too much.
There was a glint of understanding in Hikaru's pale eyes as Satsuki spoke about her mother. How could he not understand? As much as he revered Lady Doji, he knew his works could never measure up to hers. And meeting her expectations for his work was a constant struggle. "I should like to see her work someday." He said simply.

He watched Satsuki's fidgeting, his lips twisting with fond amusement. "I am pleased that you enjoyed bonsai. I still have much to learn about the art. As for poetry, well, the rules help to guide the work." He tilted his head, giving her a look through his lashes. "And I have a feeling that you may underestimate your own abilities, Togashi-sama. I think that if I read a poem of yours, that I might enjoy it very much. It might inspire me to write one as well." His tone was soft, with perhaps the barest hint of playfulness.

His lips suddenly pressed together. "Duties permitting. There is much to be concerned with..." His worry for Lady Doji was never far, a weight on whatever else Hikaru did.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:43 pm
There was a glint of understanding in Hikaru's pale eyes as Satsuki spoke about her mother. How could he not understand? As much as he revered Lady Doji, he knew his works could never measure up to hers. And meeting her expectations for his work was a constant struggle. "I should like to see her work someday." He said simply.

He watched Satsuki's fidgeting, his lips twisting with fond amusement. "I am pleased that you enjoyed bonsai. I still have much to learn about the art. As for poetry, well, the rules help to guide the work." He tilted his head, giving her a look through his lashes. "And I have a feeling that you may underestimate your own abilities, Togashi-sama. I think that if I read a poem of yours, that I might enjoy it very much. It might inspire me to write one as well." His tone was soft, with perhaps the barest hint of playfulness.

His lips suddenly pressed together. "Duties permitting. There is much to be concerned with..." His worry for Lady Doji was never far, a weight on whatever else Hikaru did.
She had spent days agonizing over that poem! And he was just... talking about it so... casually!

But it wasn't like she liked him or anything. Because he was only handsome from a certain point of view and he was stupid and... he probably didn't even care anyway!

"Maybe! It's not like I care!"

Face red, Satsuki walked off in a mild fit of pique.
Theme | Profile

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Dojihime filed that little tantrum away for later, she felt her cousin could do better but he was an acceptable fixation for the time being.
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:25 pm
She had spent days agonizing over that poem! And he was just... talking about it so... casually!

But it wasn't like she liked him or anything. Because he was only handsome from a certain point of view and he was stupid and... he probably didn't even care anyway!

"Maybe! It's not like I care!"

Face red, Satsuki walked off in a mild fit of pique.
Hikaru's lips parted, and then pressed together, watching as Satsuki walked away. After a moment, he took a deep breath, his eyes closed.

When they opened again, his expression was as neutrally thoughtful as ever. But his gaze still lingered towards where she had left. Carefully, Hikaru reached up, brushing back his white strand of hair. It had come loose again, falling forward over his handsome features.

And then he returned his gaze to the audience.

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:42 pm
"By river, by sea, or both?" Gusai asks. Details matter, after all.
She considers, "For true travel: by river. I have been on a boat on the sea for a day trip or the like but no long distance travel."