[Day 6 - EE] The Play Observation Thread

Doji Dojihime

Re: [Day 6 - EE] The Play Observation Thread

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:40 pm
"Closer to a composite character of several of the participants, myself included, but that's the kind of artistic license I can get behind at least in principle.

No, I'm speaking about the bear in the room. Where's Shinsei? Where are the tribes? A starry night is still a starry night if you group some of the stars together or depict some of them in a different color or brightness. If you remove the moon and one third of the stars, you're starring at a wholly different sky."
“The lesser tribes, Shinsei; as I said at the beginning over thirty heroes entered the Cursed Lands, if their direct presence was not seen then they were surely felt on the stage. We could not possibly include every person or the cast would have been beyond the capacity of the venue,” she said solemnly.

“Perhaps in the sequel, we can include those that were omitted or perhaps the Imperial Families can create their own story? As we were more interested in highlights that would appeal to a wide audience and it seems we were successful. If one crafts a poem about the starry night, they cannot possibly encapsulate all ten thousand stars?”

OOC: There is no ulterior motive, simply artistic license perfectly normal.

Etiquette: 8d10o10k5+5 45
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:47 pm
"One must, of course, work with what is to hand," Gusai agrees, "although the hand of a master is clear even then.

"But," he continues, "what do you think of this production? I imagine it's been quite the blessing to your bouquet."
"It was quite the production. I was impressed by all the performances and it was so kind of Doji Hikaru-san to downplay his role to allow the non-Crane participants to shine."

(Courtier/Awareness to manipulate perception of Hikaru's intent = 46)
Shadowlands • Harbinger • Sweet Dreams are Made of These
Escándalo: ∞

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:46 pm
Catching his look, Satsuki shook her head slightly. "I hoped he'd be here, but he said he's taking an early rest." She didn't elaborate why, but Hikaru could guess. "I was looking forward to see his reaction to my amazing portrayal of him. Figured it would get a few good laughs from the old bag, buuut... I understand why."

Sensing Hikaru's concern, she didn't opt for the patting on the shoulder or back this time. Merely an understanding look. "You've had a lot on your mind lately. It's alright. You'll do better next time!"
"Oh... of course." Hikaru's look back was strange, mixed concerns. In fact, he was worried for her, worried for Lady Doji, for their endeavor... he did have a lot on his mind.

"Next time?" Hikaru looked at her, eyebrows going up. "I'm not sure I'll be rushing to put myself in front of a crowd again. Not until I've had a bit more practice." His lips shifted, curling up at the corners. "Although I did enjoy seeing your Sora. Did you practice in front of a mirror?"
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 pm

"It was quite the production. I was impressed by all the performances and it was so kind of Doji Hikaru-san to downplay his role to allow the non-Crane participants to shine."

(Courtier/Awareness to manipulate perception of Hikaru's intent = 46)
Gusai nods in clear agreement. "He's a model of courtesy, to be sure," he says. "I wonder if his painting has gone as he wanted it.

"Anyway," he pivots, "I trust your endeavors go well? It seems that, after this, there will be many clamoring for one of your houses in their cities; how will you decide where you arrange your next bouquet?"

~~~~~
Etiquette / Awareness to resist Courtier, 26, https://orokos.com/roll/898141
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 pm
"Oh... of course." Hikaru's look back was strange, mixed concerns. In fact, he was worried for her, worried for Lady Doji, for their endeavor... he did have a lot on his mind.

"Next time?" Hikaru looked at her, eyebrows going up. "I'm not sure I'll be rushing to put myself in front of a crowd again. Not until I've had a bit more practice." His lips shifted, curling up at the corners. "Although I did enjoy seeing your Sora. Did you practice in front of a mirror?"
Satsuki remained oblivious to the politicing of the Crane going on in the room.

"Yeah, there should be a next time, no? If you don't do something well the first time, you try again, right?" she said with a cheerful smile. Whatever worries she had for later tonight wasn't on her mind, as she managed to live very in the moment. "As for practice... hmmm... not really. But I've known uncle Sora for a long time. He's a close friend of my mother and he's one of the few who visits my parents often. He's practically family, so I call him uncle."

A soft laughed as she scratched her head, which was a bit messy from the wig she had worn over it earlier. "I figured portraying him would be the most fun, and it's my first time on stage so I didn't want to be any of the big roles..."
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:12 pm
Satsuki remained oblivious to the politicing of the Crane going on in the room.

"Yeah, there should be a next time, no? If you don't do something well the first time, you try again, right?" she said with a cheerful smile. Whatever worries she had for later tonight wasn't on her mind, as she managed to live very in the moment. "As for practice... hmmm... not really. But I've known uncle Sora for a long time. He's a close friend of my mother and he's one of the few who visits my parents often. He's practically family, so I call him uncle."

A soft laughed as she scratched her head, which was a bit messy from the wig she had worn over it earlier. "I figured portraying him would be the most fun, and it's my first time on stage so I didn't want to be any of the big roles..."
"You're right, of course." Hikaru said, inclining his head. "That seems to be a theme of mine today. In fact, going back to last night, this is the fourth conversation I've had about not failure, or not giving up." He frowned thoughtfully. It wasn't always him doing it, was it?

"It was very good." He said. "Familiarity helps, I expect. And while I have met Lord Nanzi..." He pursed his lips, considering, "-I would certainly not call him Uncle."

He looked at Satsuki, eyebrows going up. "Would you?" He asked, smiling just a little. His previous embarrassed pallor had faded, and while he did seem to be experiencing his ever-present worry, it was perhaps less than usual.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:11 pm
Gusai nods in clear agreement. "He's a model of courtesy, to be sure," he says. "I wonder if his painting has gone as he wanted it.

"Anyway," he pivots, "I trust your endeavors go well? It seems that, after this, there will be many clamoring for one of your houses in their cities; how will you decide where you arrange your next bouquet?"

~~~~~
Etiquette / Awareness to resist Courtier, 26, https://orokos.com/roll/898141

"May the heavens see fit to burden me with such a dilemma." She grins, "I suppose if there are too many options I would have to dispatch some of my daughters in my stead. There are a few I trust well enough with the matter."
Shadowlands • Harbinger • Sweet Dreams are Made of These
Escándalo: ∞

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:13 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 pm
"You're right, of course." Hikaru said, inclining his head. "That seems to be a theme of mine today. In fact, going back to last night, this is the fourth conversation I've had about not failure, or not giving up." He frowned thoughtfully. It wasn't always him doing it, was it?

"It was very good." He said. "Familiarity helps, I expect. And while I have met Lord Nanzi..." He pursed his lips, considering, "-I would certainly not call him Uncle."

He looked at Satsuki, eyebrows going up. "Would you?" He asked, smiling just a little. His previous embarrassed pallor had faded, and while he did seem to be experiencing his ever-present worry, it was perhaps less than usual.
"Uncle Nanzi?" she asked, to clarifiy who he meant. "... I mean. I do but... hmmmm... I don't remember much about him. The Dragon and the Crane don't spend a lot of time together normally - I remember him being very much like auntie Doji. Very proper. Handsome. I remember him seeming much warmer and friendlier." Than Doji.

After her talk with Sora and Nozomi the other day, she felt she understood better know why her parents had withdrawn more from the Crane, but she couldn't say that here.

"Why do you ask?"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:28 pm

Kuu had been present to observe the retelling from the vantage of a Crane writer of the story. Every story had innumerable ways to be retold, each with it's own merits and biases. He didn't judge based on differences from written accounts held by the Order, because he had heard the story told 10 different ways from monks of the Order himself. Themes and names stayed the same but order and details were switched or carried different levels of importance to the teller. So he simply appreciated it for what it was... a story of the events, no more true or false than any other, depending on the perspective.

He enjoyed it.
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:13 pm
"Uncle Nanzi?" she asked, to clarifiy who he meant. "... I mean. I do but... hmmmm... I don't remember much about him. The Dragon and the Crane don't spend a lot of time together normally - I remember him being very much like auntie Doji. Very proper. Handsome. I remember him seeming much warmer and friendlier." Than Doji.

After her talk with Sora and Nozomi the other day, she felt she understood better know why her parents had withdrawn more from the Crane, but she couldn't say that here.

"Why do you ask?"
"Yes, Uncle Nanzi." Hikaru said, sighing, even as he couldn't help but smile just a little. He shook his head gently, hair swirling about his shoulders. Especially the white lock. "It's nothing. A thought I had. It's hard to explain."

Nevertheless, after pressing his lips together a moment, he spoke. "It is a strange experience for me. You call them 'Auntie Doji' and 'Uncle Nanzi'. I call them Lady Doji and Lord Nanzi. And Doji-sama is Doji-sama." He inclined his head towards the Doji princess, still off playing politics.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm
"Hm... I suppose?"

She looks over to the stage thoughtfully, expression softening, "It is a good play, but some of the things presented don't match up with what I've heard from stories or read in scrolls...""
"Should it be Doji-san?" Ayano asked, curiosity on her face, "I mean...my own understanding of the accounts tells me it is different too but I do not watch plays to learn history." She nodded, "Plays are to entertain, inspire, and make one think. Surely there is nothing to worry about."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:00 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 pm
"Yes, Uncle Nanzi." Hikaru said, sighing, even as he couldn't help but smile just a little. He shook his head gently, hair swirling about his shoulders. Especially the white lock. "It's nothing. A thought I had. It's hard to explain."

Nevertheless, after pressing his lips together a moment, he spoke. "It is a strange experience for me. You call them 'Auntie Doji' and 'Uncle Nanzi'. I call them Lady Doji and Lord Nanzi. And Doji-sama is Doji-sama." He inclined his head towards the Doji princess, still off playing politics.
Satsuki shrugged a little bit, as she didn't have a clever answer right away. "It's just... my parents never talk about the other Kami as Lord and Lady. It's always 'aunt' or 'uncle'. And..." she glanced over to Dojihime, then back to Hikaru, "when it was just me and my cousins, that's what we called her."

"I... just don't see the point in being different in private and public? I don't feel that's sincere or genuine."
Theme | Profile

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 pm
"Should it be Doji-san?" Ayano asked, curiosity on her face, "I mean...my own understanding of the accounts tells me it is different too but I do not watch plays to learn history." She nodded, "Plays are to entertain, inspire, and make one think. Surely there is nothing to worry about."
"But, but... what if someone not so knowledgeable were to watch the play and get the wrong impression?"

The Doji maiden frets a little, wringing the shawl that is around her neck a little as she seems to think.

"Maybe I should go tell them what they got wrong and they can adjust the rest of it?"
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:15 pm
"But, but... what if someone not so knowledgeable were to watch the play and get the wrong impression?"

The Doji maiden frets a little, wringing the shawl that is around her neck a little as she seems to think.

"Maybe I should go tell them what they got wrong and they can adjust the rest of it?"
Ayano thought for a moment, then reached up and took one of Misaki's hands in her own, "It can never be true to the events...not even the works of those who went likely tell the entire truth of it. But if you want I will help you make your case."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 pm
Ayano thought for a moment, then reached up and took one of Misaki's hands in her own, "It can never be true to the events...not even the works of those who went likely tell the entire truth of it. But if you want I will help you make your case."
A skilled Doji courtier was always watching and seeing Misaki in distress she shifted to allow herself to better speak with the Imperial and her troubled retainer. She smiled and said, “Makime-san, thank you for attending, I pray the entertainment for the evening was well received?”

“As I was telling Jiyo-san, the events were not completely as recorded in some Histories but they capture the essence of the story, one of struggle, heroism, and both filial and constructed brotherhood overcoming Evil in its purest form.”
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:38 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:00 pm
Satsuki shrugged a little bit, as she didn't have a clever answer right away. "It's just... my parents never talk about the other Kami as Lord and Lady. It's always 'aunt' or 'uncle'. And..." she glanced over to Dojihime, then back to Hikaru, "when it was just me and my cousins, that's what we called her."

"I... just don't see the point in being different in private and public? I don't feel that's sincere or genuine."
Hikaru frowned. "That... hmmm." He considered that for a few moments more. "Perhaps it isn't." He said. There was another considered pause.

After a few moments, he looked at her. "Even in private, even in my thoughts, Lady Doji is always Lady Doji to me. When I painted her..." He held up one hand, as though remembering the feel of the brush, "-I painted her as I saw her. Or, I think I did, anyway. It was a challenge."

He shrugged, his shoulders barely moving. "But art is how I express myself." A beat. "Except for singing, perhaps." His lips shifted.

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:06 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 pm
Misaki seemed surprised a moment before nodding and standing up, just as Dojihime came over.
Doji Dojihime wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 pm
A skilled Doji courtier was always watching and seeing Misaki in distress she shifted to allow herself to better speak with the Imperial and her troubled retainer. She smiled and said, “Makime-san, thank you for attending, I pray the entertainment for the evening was well received?”

“As I was telling Jiyo-san, the events were not completely as recorded in some Histories but they capture the essence of the story, one of struggle, heroism, and both filial and constructed brotherhood overcoming Evil in its purest form.”
"Good evening, Doji-sama. So it is for artistic effect then?"

She looked a bit at Ayano before back at Dojihime.

"Ah, well..."

Misa bit her lower lip but a moment and bowed, "If those making the play are already aware of the things and how they wish to present them, then I can but trust in that being right. I've no motive to spoil the hard work and such of those putting on this production."

Straightening up, she looked at Dojihime more directly, "Thank you for your perceptive eye and consideration for me; It is the mark of the best of hosts and something I lack I fear in my own capacity, the ability to notice how others feel."
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:20 am

Ayano smiled, "Thank you for putting the play on Doji-sama," She nodded, "A play is a difficult medium to transmit information I imagine, best to grasp at the feelings and point the curious to the records no?"

When Misaki seemed to be relieved at Dojihime's words, the Lioness found her smile grow more joyful. For a moment her eyes lingered on Misaki, then with a small start she realized her expression probably gave much more away then Ayano wanted. Her cheeks reddened a fraction.

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:44 am

Dojihime agreed and said, “Yes plays, poetry, even a portrait is all about the emotion and feeling, the details fall away when one catches the essence of the moment, subject, or even idea. Yet if we want accuracy we go to the scholars, one may come to an artist to capture a mountain but an explorer does not seek the painting they seek the most reliable source the mountain itself. Same can be said of this play, it is a starting point, if it inspires one to learn more of our past then we have achieved a victory.”

“Not even scholars will truly agree on the past, I have read many accounts of the journey and they all differ. The experiences of say Taochusu-no-shiryo will differ greatly from those of my father, and even that of Jiyo Ayumu, heroic bushi and tailor of the expedition. Are we to say that their experiences or tale is lesser than any other?” she finished warmly.

“What matters is that few stood against many, and the Empire prevailed.”

She then added, “I am sure that Makime-san would enjoy hearing more of your insights Misaki-san, and I am thankful for both of your attendance this evening.”

She then gave her full attention to the Imperial.

OOC: Lore Shadowlands: 4d10o10k3 21

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 am

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 pm
"May the heavens see fit to burden me with such a dilemma." She grins, "I suppose if there are too many options I would have to dispatch some of my daughters in my stead. There are a few I trust well enough with the matter."
"They must be fortunate and skilled, indeed, to have earned your trust," Gusai says. "But that'd still leave you in the position of showing favor in your own presence. Or would you remain here, a jewel in the crown of the Imperial City? Few would fault you for it, I think."

He cups his chin.

"But, yes, there is a pleasure in the burden of too much work. Which leads me to ask, what is it that the most graceful bloom in the camellia bouquet does for pleasure?"
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties