[D5, EA] Observing the Recording (Open, Event)

Nozomi

Re: [D5, EA] Observing the Recording (Open, Event)

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:27 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:11 pm
"Hmmm... something small, yes. Maybe little trinkets. Or plants that only grow here maybe." Plants were easier!

"Netsuke, hm? They might have some in the town, I think. Or if not available, I'm sure some of the craftsmen could make something before the winter has thawed."
"Yes, plants or little things. Keepsakes. Memories given form. I think they'd appreciate something like that," Nozomi said quietly, leaned back. "I try not to make attachments, but ... sometimes little memories you hold in your hand are nice to have."
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:27 pm
"Yes, plants or little things. Keepsakes. Memories given form. I think they'd appreciate something like that," Nozomi said quietly, leaned back. "I try not to make attachments, but ... sometimes little memories you hold in your hand are nice to have."
"I don't think it's an attachment to have memories... maybe?" she seemed a bit puzzled over it. "Some say family and children are attachments, but... I don't think anyone denies that my parents are very wise, and they have eachother and us, yes?"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:00 pm
Nozomi wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:27 pm
"I don't think it's an attachment to have memories... maybe?" she seemed a bit puzzled over it. "Some say family and children are attachments, but... I don't think anyone denies that my parents are very wise, and they have eachother and us, yes?"
"See... it's questions like that which are why I still struggle to understand the Teacher's lessons," she whispered. "Children can be attachments, but they are not always. It's a tricky thing and we're still learning as we go. Maybe the path is a little different for everyone? But I don't think there's anything wrong with a keepsake or two."
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:12 pm

"If there is one thing I know from listening to father, mother, and Little Teacher, it is that everyone's path to enlightenment is different," she said with a kind smile. Very similarly to how her mother would very often smile - that patience, and kindness to the expression.

"Father will say that we can't find enlightenment by searching for it, but it can't be found by not trying either. Quite the problem, isn't it?" Satsuki laughed softly, taking care as to not make any more noise than nescessary given those hard at work still.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:59 pm
snip
"War.

We will never know the details, but by the time we reached the pit, we had a good idea of the consequences of failing. Channeling the power of a Kami, the armies of Jigoku would have walked on the remains of the fatally diminished Nezumi empire, then into Rokugan proper. I don't know who would have won in the end, but even in the best of case the death toll would have been terrible.

However, to the question Would the trip have been useless had we had failed? I think the answer is no. We knew close to nothing about our enemy before going there to study it in its domain. Likely, a few people would have managed to escape the initial disaster and returned to Rokugan to share that knowledge, giving the Empire an edge in the conflict to come.

Failure was always an option. Giving up wasn't."
Imperial • Bushi • Isawa Tribe • Experienced

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Seeing the nezumi ambassador chewing on his bonsai and with no sign of the pesky crow, Hsieh-Hsieh nudged Yuzuru's leg with his nose. The two looked at each other . . . well one looked, the other looked vaguely in the right direction, and then the fox trotted off and out of the hall.

A few minutes later he returned with The Stick, climbed up to his spot on the dais and started chewing.
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Glory 4.0 * Status 9.9 * Honour As expected

Accompanied by Hsieh-Hsieh Image

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 pm
snip
Hikaru took a deep breath. "I am very glad that you did not fail, then."

He was silent a few moments, and then shook his head. "Useless, I suppose, is a relative term. Perhaps something would have been salvaged, but..." Another moment, another shake of the head. "Some goals are important enough that failure cannot be an option, nor giving up. They should be strived for to our last breaths, and beyond."
Yuzuru wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Seeing the nezumi ambassador chewing on his bonsai and with no sign of the pesky crow, Hsieh-Hsieh nudged Yuzuru's leg with his nose. The two looked at each other . . . well one looked, the other looked vaguely in the right direction, and then the fox trotted off and out of the hall.

A few minutes later he returned with The Stick, climbed up to his spot on the dais and started chewing.
"It also seems..." Hikaru turned his head, eyes narrowing, as he spotted Hsieh-Hsieh and his now-familiar stick. "I think the royal fox is taunting me." He murmured, smiling just the tiniest bit.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:12 pm
"If there is one thing I know from listening to father, mother, and Little Teacher, it is that everyone's path to enlightenment is different," she said with a kind smile. Very similarly to how her mother would very often smile - that patience, and kindness to the expression.

"Father will say that we can't find enlightenment by searching for it, but it can't be found by not trying either. Quite the problem, isn't it?" Satsuki laughed softly, taking care as to not make any more noise than nescessary given those hard at work still.
"It's a quandary, no doubt. I think the more we try to grasp at enlightenment with intention to find it, the more likely that is to fail. But we cannot just stare into infinity, nor can we travel the world and hope to find it. Each path... is unique. I doubt many would have expected mine. I'm sure yours will be different as well."

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 am

Nozomi wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:22 pm
"It's a quandary, no doubt. I think the more we try to grasp at enlightenment with intention to find it, the more likely that is to fail. But we cannot just stare into infinity, nor can we travel the world and hope to find it. Each path... is unique. I doubt many would have expected mine. I'm sure yours will be different as well."
There was a touch of pensiveness to her features as she thought for a moment. "... I don't know what my future, or my path will be, but I hope it will be a good one. One that I can look back on, at the end, and be proud of - that I did good things and the changes I made were for the better."
Theme | Profile

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:40 am

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 am
There was a touch of pensiveness to her features as she thought for a moment. "... I don't know what my future, or my path will be, but I hope it will be a good one. One that I can look back on, at the end, and be proud of - that I did good things and the changes I made were for the better."
"We do what we can, Togashi-sama. I think you will be fine. You have good parents, and you were raised well, and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders." She smiled over at her. "But just keep that effort in your mind. You will do fine."

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:47 am
"Well. I know that the Emperor doesn't regard a single mistake as cause for a poor opinion, so... regard there may already be warmer than your people think. And Hida-sama accepted his brother's judgment, which may have been his duty, but couldn't have been easy. My own... early interactions with both Hida and Anjing were... less than ideal."

To put it mildly.

"But I know this. The Emperor loves his siblings, and he cares for all of his subjects. Crab participation in Imperial projects- such as the Libraries, or perhaps the road system that Makime Ayano-san spoke of the other day would do much to insure that your place in the Empire is never lost in the shuffle. I visited the lands now held by the Stag, and I have visited the current lands of the Crab, and have seen Crab engineering firsthand. I think the Clan of Hida is a boon to Rokugan. I am certain that the Emperor likewise wishes nothing but the best for you and yours."

He chuckled.

"So, if you'll pardon a long-winded old man for taking forever to get to the point? My advice would be to do what you're doing- staying engaged with the wider Empire, not withdrawing. You share borders with the Dragon, the Spider, and the Bat. Engage with them, and your connections to the wider Empire are all but assured. Another thought? Encourage students from other Clans- or the Imperial Families- to study in your schools. Never let the rest of us forget what you have to offer."
Yoshitsune Chizu listened intently to Sora's words, and gave them serious thought. Finally, she nodded.

"This seems good advice. Thank you, Jiyo-sama," she said, bowing in acknowledgement. "I shall see if I can speak with Makime-san about her road project; such a thing seems like it could benefit us all. As for the Libraries, what kind of participation do you think would be helpful? Perhaps something could be arranged."
Crab Clan ❖ Bushi ❖ Large ❖ Benten's Blessing
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 2.0 ❖ Exceptional Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, fan. in battle: heavy armor, tetsubo

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:45 am

Yoshitsune Chizu wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 am
Yoshitsune Chizu listened intently to Sora's words, and gave them serious thought. Finally, she nodded.

"This seems good advice. Thank you, Jiyo-sama," she said, bowing in acknowledgement. "I shall see if I can speak with Makime-san about her road project; such a thing seems like it could benefit us all. As for the Libraries, what kind of participation do you think would be helpful? Perhaps something could be arranged."
"Well. I hold Crab engineering in the highest regard, so any writings on the subject would be appreciated. Moreover, with the Crab defending our northern border, it stands to reason that you'll have more contact with groups outside of the Empire. Any intelligence you could share would also find a warm welcome."

A pause.

"And maybe some texts about not merely building, but intelligently making use of fortified positions. Oh! And local customs- to help visitors understand expected behavior during a visit. There is a lot the Crab know that the Empire can make use of. Naturally, we intend to keep you updated with anything from elsewhere in the Empire that makes it into the system. Just remember, what seems commonplace to you may well be exotic knowledge in Crane or Imperial lands."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:06 pm
snip
"You have it easy really. If you want a glimpse at pure chaos, ask Sora about his times dealing with the Imperial kids and the Imperial foxes together, all of them competing to drive him the most nuts.

The Imperial fox in particular is the ultimate force of nature. They do whatever they want, whenever they want. We cannot predict them. We cannot comprehend them. We can just learn to live with them."

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm
"You have it easy really. If you want a glimpse at pure chaos, ask Sora about his times dealing with the Imperial kids and the Imperial foxes together, all of them competing to drive him the most nuts.

The Imperial fox in particular is the ultimate force of nature. They do whatever they want, whenever they want. We cannot predict them. We cannot comprehend them. We can just learn to live with them."
"Together?" Hikaru's lips shifted. "Do they collaborate? Strategize against him?" He shook his head, smiling gently. "Knowing that fox, I would not doubt it."

He was silent a moment, then looked at Ayumu with a frown. "Jiyo-san..." He began, his frown already deepening. You've known Jiyo-sama for some time, I gather. Has he shared his visions with you, from time to time?"
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

You could almost imagine Hsieh-Hsieh was . . . grinning around the stick he was slowly chewing, and staring at Hikaru. Obviously that was just because he was facing that way, yes?
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:15 pm

[
Doji Hikaru wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:52 pm
snip
Ayumu just smiled and nodded at the comment about the little devils' machinations. As for the last question:

"Yes and yes. But you'll have to be more precise. Sora has spied a lot of things through his life with his little eye of him. I know only of a portion of them, and understand only a fraction of that fraction."

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Yuzuru wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm
You could almost imagine Hsieh-Hsieh was . . . grinning around the stick he was slowly chewing, and staring at Hikaru. Obviously that was just because he was facing that way, yes?
Hikaru narrowed his eyes, looking at the fox. It really did seem to be taunting him, didn't it? Hikaru considered, dignity and compassion briefly competing.

Finally, smiling just a little, he shook his head at Hsieh-Hsieh. "I don't want it anymore. And I'm certainly not going to chase you here." He said.

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:45 am
"Well. I hold Crab engineering in the highest regard, so any writings on the subject would be appreciated. Moreover, with the Crab defending our northern border, it stands to reason that you'll have more contact with groups outside of the Empire. Any intelligence you could share would also find a warm welcome."

A pause.

"And maybe some texts about not merely building, but intelligently making use of fortified positions. Oh! And local customs- to help visitors understand expected behavior during a visit. There is a lot the Crab know that the Empire can make use of. Naturally, we intend to keep you updated with anything from elsewhere in the Empire that makes it into the system. Just remember, what seems commonplace to you may well be exotic knowledge in Crane or Imperial lands."
"I'm glad the expertise of the Crab is known here in the capital," Chizu said with a smile. "I'll see what I can do to gather some texts along these lines, so we can share our knowledge. My mother has some connections among the craftsmen and builders... I'm sure that something could be done."

"I imagine as a librarian you must run across a lot of 'exotic' knowledge, gathered from all across the Empire," she said conversationally. "Is there anything especially unusual or remarkable that you've learned this way?"
Crab Clan ❖ Bushi ❖ Large ❖ Benten's Blessing
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 2.0 ❖ Exceptional Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, fan. in battle: heavy armor, tetsubo

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:28 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:15 pm
Ayumu just smiled and nodded at the comment about the little devils' machinations. As for the last question:

"Yes and yes. But you'll have to be more precise. Sora has spied a lot of things through his life with his little eye of him. I know only of a portion of them, and understand only a fraction of that fraction."
Hikaru considered a moment, then shook his head. "It is nothing. I imagine he must see a great many things. I wondered how many of them come to pass... but he already explained it to me himself."

He took a breath. "He is a good man? In your judgement?"

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:02 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:17 pm
Hikaru narrowed his eyes, looking at the fox. It really did seem to be taunting him, didn't it? Hikaru considered, dignity and compassion briefly competing.

Finally, smiling just a little, he shook his head at Hsieh-Hsieh. "I don't want it anymore. And I'm certainly not going to chase you here." He said.
A growl of disappointment perhaps? . . . but it was interrupted by Yuzuru reaching down to pat the fox on the head while continuing to stare vaguely at Shiba and Shinsei.