Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Kuu

Re: Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 pm
Since the fish wasn't biting today, Ayumu returned the fishing rod, and rubbing his hands and joints to chase the cold, went to the campfire to finish restoring a proper blood flow through his body.

Except it wasn't a campfire. And while it wasn't the most bizarre thing Ayumu had ever witnessed, it was definitely a most bizarre thing.

"Good morning Kuu-san. An intriguing trick you've got there."
"I've found it more pleasant and useful to use it in this way rather than it's intended purpose of harming opponents," he says with a smile. "It's easily one of my favorite of my techniques, even though I do not like fighting."
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:12 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 pm

"Oh, uh..." Satsuki smiled sheepishly. "Thank you. Usually I get in trouble for speaking my mind like that. I just... well, didn't see the point in all the fanfare. Marriages among the Dragon are more quiet affairs, private for the couple and their closest. So... ah... thanks. I don't really understand the ways of the other clans sometimes."
The honesty puts Kawauso more at ease, but no less admiring of Satsuki.

"Quieter, more traditional... it's like that for my people too," Kawauso nods approvingly. "I guess... this..." she says, waving gently toward the castle, "is maybe the way that we'll all go? I'm afraid I don't understand it, but, um, I'm just a river guardian. Maybe the fancy ways are better, somehow," she suggests, not really believing but not sure it's ok to question.
"Naaaah, I don't think we'll all be doing it like that. I think that each clan should find their own thing - their own traditions and way of doing things. That's why we're different clans, neh? And not just one big clan!" Satsuki grinned playfully, sizing up the tall Akodo a bit more now.

"My parents had a quiet ceremony with just those closest to them when they wed, and I don't see why the rest of the Dragon will do it any differently. Buuuuut... what is it that a river guardian does? Do you look after the creatures that live in the river, or make sure that nothing happens to the river?"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Akodo Moshi

Post by Akodo Moshi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Kuu wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:16 pm
Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 pm
Since the fish wasn't biting today, Ayumu returned the fishing rod, and rubbing his hands and joints to chase the cold, went to the campfire to finish restoring a proper blood flow through his body.

Except it wasn't a campfire. And while it wasn't the most bizarre thing Ayumu had ever witnessed, it was definitely a most bizarre thing.

"Good morning Kuu-san. An intriguing trick you've got there."
"I've found it more pleasant and useful to use it in this way rather than it's intended purpose of harming opponents," he says with a smile. "It's easily one of my favorite of my techniques, even though I do not like fighting."
"Sorry to bother you Monk-sama, but I couldn't help but notice the technique you are using. How are you able to attune to the element of fire with so much ice around?"
Honor: What is expected Status: 1.0 Glory: 3
Lion Clan *Shugenja * Blessed by Air *Sage *Great Expectations *Humbled
Current influence: 1

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Akodo Moshi wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm
"Sorry to bother you Monk-sama, but I couldn't help but notice the technique you are using. How are you able to attune to the element of fire with so much ice around?"
"It is internal energy. All beings have the elements flowing through them, I am altering mine to favor fire," he explains. "It's a complex and involved technique, and it takes a great deal of spiritual and bodily discipline to achieve. But it is also potentially achievable by any human with proper training."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:12 pm

"Naaaah, I don't think we'll all be doing it like that. I think that each clan should find their own thing - their own traditions and way of doing things. That's why we're different clans, neh? And not just one big clan!" Satsuki grinned playfully, sizing up the tall Akodo a bit more now.

"My parents had a quiet ceremony with just those closest to them when they wed, and I don't see why the rest of the Dragon will do it any differently. Buuuuut... what is it that a river guardian does? Do you look after the creatures that live in the river, or make sure that nothing happens to the river?"
Kawauso smiles at the grin, feeling more at ease with the Dragon princess than almost anyone else she's met. "Right. One empire doesn't mean one big clan..." She seems heartened by the sentiment, though it's unclear why.

"River guardians protect whoever needs protecting. Sometimes it's the animals, sometimes it's the people... I guess we'd say that protecting everyone around the river is how you protect the river itself." She smiles, maybe a touch self-conscious at the interest in her work.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Yuzuru wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:52 pm
"Chai-san, don't worry. Hsieh-Hsieh is usually well behaved around other animals. Except perhaps chickens. Even I have difficulty restraining him when those are around. Are you actually using the otters to fish for you? Or a combination of net and otter?"

It seemed like the Consort knew something of fishing?

Meanwhile Hsieh-Hsieh was growling softly at the young otter in between snacking noisily on his fish. They seemed to be getting along just fine.
The girl has some difficulty holding back a chuckle at Yuzuru's comment, but manages to, although the grin on her face is probably visible to others around. Her voice does sound quite happy when she answers.

"Oh, I... somehow didn't expect Yuzuru-heika to be knowledgeable about this!", she says in a voice that is kind and pleasantly surprised. "The otters can fish by themselves and bring some of their catch up, but usually it's a combination - the otters swim around herding the fish, then I use something to catch them after they're gathered in a nice group. It's faster than letting them do all the work by themselves - you know, teamwork is usually best, ne?", she adds in a happy tone. "And then... spearing them works, but as you said, a net is often the best choice to make the most of the otters' work! It's exactly what I've done here."

Still kneeling, she extends her hand to help Chuuen out of the basket and clicks her tongue to the cub again. "Oi, Chuuen!", she says in a lower voice, directed at the otter. "What are you gonna do with that fish, eh?"

She is somewhat surprised as the cub looks at her with its head turned sideways, then turns its eyes to the fish, then to Hsieh-hsieh, and then pokes the fish with its snout a few times, pushing it towards the fox. "Oh! You wanna share, Chuuen?", she says still slightly surprised to the cub. "That's a good girl, eh!", she adds lovingly, caressing the cub's head again.

Then, turning to Yuzuru again. "Seems like little Chuuen and Hsieh-hsieh-sama will get along nicely, Yuzuru-heika", she says with a kind voice again. "But... Yuzuru-heika does seem to know quite a bit about fishing. Was it something you did often, if I may ask?"
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:45 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 pm
Kawauso smiles at the grin, feeling more at ease with the Dragon princess than almost anyone else she's met. "Right. One empire doesn't mean one big clan..." She seems heartened by the sentiment, though it's unclear why.

"River guardians protect whoever needs protecting. Sometimes it's the animals, sometimes it's the people... I guess we'd say that protecting everyone around the river is how you protect the river itself." She smiles, maybe a touch self-conscious at the interest in her work.
"So if theoretically I were to fall into a river, you'd have to save me then, eh?" she teased with a pleasant tone.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:45 pm

"So if theoretically I were to fall into a river, you'd have to save me then, eh?" she teased with a pleasant tone.
The Lion smiles, a little nervously as she's not sure she gets the joke, but she answers sincerely. "I'm not the guardian of every river, Togashi-sama, but I would save you from any river I could reach." She looks the tiniest bit concerned. "It is probably best not to joke about such a thing? Although I could certainly teach you to swim, too."
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:14 pm

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 pm
The girl has some difficulty holding back a chuckle at Yuzuru's comment, but manages to, although the grin on her face is probably visible to others around. Her voice does sound quite happy when she answers.

"Oh, I... somehow didn't expect Yuzuru-heika to be knowledgeable about this!", she says in a voice that is kind and pleasantly surprised. "The otters can fish by themselves and bring some of their catch up, but usually it's a combination - the otters swim around herding the fish, then I use something to catch them after they're gathered in a nice group. It's faster than letting them do all the work by themselves - you know, teamwork is usually best, ne?", she adds in a happy tone. "And then... spearing them works, but as you said, a net is often the best choice to make the most of the otters' work! It's exactly what I've done here."

Still kneeling, she extends her hand to help Chuuen out of the basket and clicks her tongue to the cub again. "Oi, Chuuen!", she says in a lower voice, directed at the otter. "What are you gonna do with that fish, eh?"

She is somewhat surprised as the cub looks at her with its head turned sideways, then turns its eyes to the fish, then to Hsieh-hsieh, and then pokes the fish with its snout a few times, pushing it towards the fox. "Oh! You wanna share, Chuuen?", she says still slightly surprised to the cub. "That's a good girl, eh!", she adds lovingly, caressing the cub's head again.

Then, turning to Yuzuru again. "Seems like little Chuuen and Hsieh-hsieh-sama will get along nicely, Yuzuru-heika", she says with a kind voice again. "But... Yuzuru-heika does seem to know quite a bit about fishing. Was it something you did often, if I may ask?"
Hsieh-Hsieh is indeed getting along fine with the otter. A shared love of fish would do that.

"Yes. In the times before my Sight came upon me and took my normal sight, fishing and hunting were my roles within the Ayakashi. I used to use nets and spears for fishing, but that was not to be my fate. Considering the damage the fires and rockfalls I foresaw would have done I would not change anything if time was rewound, but I did enjoy fishing."
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Glory 4.0 * Status 9.9 * Honour As expected

Accompanied by Hsieh-Hsieh Image

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 pm
The Lion smiles, a little nervously as she's not sure she gets the joke, but she answers sincerely. "I'm not the guardian of every river, Togashi-sama, but I would save you from any river I could reach." She looks the tiniest bit concerned. "It is probably best not to joke about such a thing? Although I could certainly teach you to swim, too."
"That..." she paused, thinking it over, "is probably not a bad idea. Learning to swim that is. There's not a lot of lakes or rivers to swim in back home, and the waters around Great Falls are too strong to safely swim in."

She eyed the cold waters suspiciously for a moment. "... Probably not a good idea in this weather though?"
Theme | Profile

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 pm

"That..." she paused, thinking it over, "is probably not a bad idea. Learning to swim that is. There's not a lot of lakes or rivers to swim in back home, and the waters around Great Falls are too strong to safely swim in."

She eyed the cold waters suspiciously for a moment. "... Probably not a good idea in this weather though?"
"Uh, no, Togashi-sama," the Lion says with a chuckle. "This is not for beginners. I could rescue you from that water, but it wouldn't be easy or pleasant for either of us," she says, very seriously. "Perhaps we start small, like with the hot springs?" Kawauso says in a kind voice, although her eyes have given away the joke as soon as she starts to say it.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Kuu wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 pm
Akodo Moshi wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:35 pm
"It is internal energy. All beings have the elements flowing through them, I am altering mine to favor fire," he explains. "It's a complex and involved technique, and it takes a great deal of spiritual and bodily discipline to achieve. But it is also potentially achievable by any human with proper training."
"Legends are full of people able to cut a rock in half with a simple stick by channeling their internal energy, and I heard there was a demonstration of such techniques before Shiba a few years ago, but I didn't know they had achieved that level of mastery.

Is that dominion over fire a recent development? Or are there ancient techniques that didn't get to spread before the Kami brought stability to the land?"
Imperial • Bushi • Isawa Tribe • Experienced

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:11 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm
"Legends are full of people able to cut a rock in half with a simple stick by channeling their internal energy, and I heard there was a demonstration of such techniques before Shiba a few years ago, but I didn't know they had achieved that level of mastery.

Is that dominion over fire a recent development? Or are there ancient techniques that didn't get to spread before the Kami brought stability to the land?"
"It is the result of studying teachings of Shinsei and training to better understand one's body and spirit," he says. "As far as I know, kiho tend to only beings that have moving internal energy. There is an ability that hones one's body into being more destructive against things like rock, but as far as I know we cannot extend that to a carried weapon or tool," he says.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:32 pm

Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:11 pm
snip
"Guess some legends are just that. Legends. Within the limits of our current knowledge at least.

Are all kiho that martial? You yourself said your current one was initially designed for battle."

Akodo Moshi

Post by Akodo Moshi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm

"I have one which simply connects your ki to the surroundings; it improves your abilities in relation to that element. For example, I can see better, run farther, and lift heavier things while attuned with the river. "
Honor: What is expected Status: 1.0 Glory: 3
Lion Clan *Shugenja * Blessed by Air *Sage *Great Expectations *Humbled
Current influence: 1

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:32 pm
"Guess some legends are just that. Legends. Within the limits of our current knowledge at least.

Are all kiho that martial? You yourself said your current one was initially designed for battle."
Akodo Moshi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm
"I have one which simply connects your ki to the surroundings; it improves your abilities in relation to that element. For example, I can see better, run farther, and lift heavier things while attuned with the river. "
"Not all kiho are martial, but a good number of them are. Some allow great leaps, walking on water, or seeing without eyes. What our Lion friend speaks of is another one not intended for combat. It opens your internal energy to the energy of the environment, draws it in and strengthens your own body and mind. But there are many varieties of kiho, allowing many different abilities."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 pm

Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm
snip
"Seeing without eyes? I supposed you talked with the Consort about this one?

A common theme seems to be the reinforcement of the body, and I'm wondering if there's a price to pay for that. If you use a kiho to run twice as fast, do you to rest four times longer than usual after the race?"
Akodo Moshi wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm
snip
Ayumu bowed:

"My apologies Akodo-sama, I got lost in my curiosity and forgot all my manners. Jiyo Ayumu, born of the Isawa, now servant of Shiba.

Did you also train with the Order of Heroes to acquire such technique?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:25 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:22 pm
"Uh, no, Togashi-sama," the Lion says with a chuckle. "This is not for beginners. I could rescue you from that water, but it wouldn't be easy or pleasant for either of us," she says, very seriously. "Perhaps we start small, like with the hot springs?" Kawauso says in a kind voice, although her eyes have given away the joke as soon as she starts to say it.
"As long as we're not troubling other bathers, I suppose that could be a good idea. I like heat better than co--- achooo!" Satsuki made sure to turn away and cover her face as she sneezed. Once more there seemed to be a tiny littly flicker of light hidden beind her sleeved arms that covered the face.
Theme | Profile

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Yuzuru wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:14 pm
Hsieh-Hsieh is indeed getting along fine with the otter. A shared love of fish would do that.

"Yes. In the times before my Sight came upon me and took my normal sight, fishing and hunting were my roles within the Ayakashi. I used to use nets and spears for fishing, but that was not to be my fate. Considering the damage the fires and rockfalls I foresaw would have done I would not change anything if time was rewound, but I did enjoy fishing."
"Oh... I didn't know, Yuzuru-heika", the woman says with a somewhat apologetical tone that she soon makes an effort to leave behind. "That... was a unique you received. With a price... but your words are wise and kind", she says, smiling now, with a much happier, albeit still respectful tone. "Yuzuru-heika... has had the chance to fish after that, though, I hope?" Her voice now sounds as if probing before offering something...
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 pm
"Oh... I didn't know, Yuzuru-heika", the woman says with a somewhat apologetical tone that she soon makes an effort to leave behind. "That... was a unique you received. With a price... but your words are wise and kind", she says, smiling now, with a much happier, albeit still respectful tone. "Yuzuru-heika... has had the chance to fish after that, though, I hope?" Her voice now sounds as if probing before offering something...
"The price was worth it, Chai-san. And no, no fishing since. Now I have a furry friend to fetch fish for me."

He put his hand to where Hsieh-Hsieh should have been, but he was busy sharing fish with an otter and growling vulpine wisdom.

"Ah, I can hear him, so he's nearby. I assume someone gave him a fish?"
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Glory 4.0 * Status 9.9 * Honour As expected

Accompanied by Hsieh-Hsieh Image