[Day 3, Late Evening] Trouble in Paradise (Closed)

Jiyo Sora

[Day 3, Late Evening] Trouble in Paradise (Closed)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:06 pm

He'd meant to get to sleep early, and he moved through his family's quarters, pleased to see that everyone had tuckered themselves out in a healthy manner. It was an early night for his household, and that suited him fine.

Phi was curled up on her side, with her puppy ("Crumbsnatcher") nestled next to her, both of them breathing easily.

Should probably tell her not to let the dog sleep with her, but... eh. Screw it.

Shirayuki was sprawled on her back, one foot sticking out from under her blanket, her mouth wide open, snoring lustily. Her puppy ("Squirtling") was curled up by the exposed foot. It cracked its eyelids open as Sora approached, and its lips drew back in something like a snarl before recognizing him and wagging its tail.

They never look less alike than when they're sleeping. And that's a damned good dog she has there.

Kinyoubi was sleeping on her side, looking so peaceful, so relaxed.

And I swear, she gets lovelier with every year that passes.

He turned to check on his son... and Soryu sat up abruptly, his jaw clenched,the tendons in his neck standing out, his eyes- including the orange one, so much like Sora's- wide in terror. His puppy, Chomper, had its ears laid back, clearly alarmed.

Devil-Eye Sora hadn't been part of a Hikaru ambush party in years, but he could still move with alarming silence when the situation called for it, and neither of his daughters, nor his wife stirred as he rushed to his son, pulling him in for a hug.

"It's all right, it's all right, you're safe, we're all here..."

"But Daddy... none of us is safe."

Sora felt his blood run cold, and he sat back, locking his gaze on his son's. "What did you see?"

"I saw something... black. And icky. Spreading under the snow. And a bunch of black birds were... laughing."

Sora gritted his teeth. "I've seen it too, Soryu. But you're safe. You, and your sisters, and your mother. As long as I draw breath, do you understand?"

Soryu swallowed the lie, of course. He didn't know any better. He nodded, his rapid breathing starting to slow. "I understand."

"Good boy. Now, you should tell your mother about this when you're alone tomorrow, but don't tell your sisters, okay? Not yet. And I'm very proud of you for not screaming."

His son's smile nearly killed him. "Okay... can I sleep with you and Mommy?"

"Sure. And Chomper too."

It took Sora a very long time to get to sleep.

[/Thread]
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.