[Day 3, Late Morning] Strange Bedfellows (Invite Only)

Jiyo Sora

[Day 3, Late Morning] Strange Bedfellows (Invite Only)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 pm

Assuming he had not been eaten by a grue, Jiyo Sora awaited his guests.

If he HAD been eaten by a grue, then Kinyoubi would be waiting.

Schroedinger's Imperial had sent the kids on an errand to visit the local monastic contingent- with strict orders about who they could or could not speak with.
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Kakita

Re: [Day 3, Late Morning] Strange Bedfellows (Invite Only)

Post by Kakita » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Kakita arrived precisely at the hour requested and waited to be admitted into the room.
Bat Clan | Mystical Sword | Daimyo | Avian-like | Kenku-trained | Demon Cutter

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Hikaru was likewise prompt, punctual, and as well-dressed as always. And, as usual, his white lock of hair refused to be tied back, hanging down over his face.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Sora didn't call out to enter- instead he simply got up, opened the door, and motioned them in.

"Do you want me to explain my conclusion, or would you prefer to simply hear it and then ask questions?"
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:35 pm

Stepping inside, Hikaru looked first at Kakita and then Sora, his forehead creasing. And then he did take a moment to glance around the room.

"If it is an explanation that requires a conclusion, perhaps we should hear that explanation before question." Hikaru said. "That way, the information shall all come in a well ordered set, rather than piecemeal, as we think of questions."
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:45 pm

"About twenty years ago, I was on the expedition which went south to free Hisomu. We saw a great deal, and brought back knowledge, a liberated Kami, and in one case... a bird."

He fixed his mismatched gaze on Hikaru.

"Nanzi turned up near the end of our time in a land corrupted by the influence of Jigoku with a new pet. A large, lustrous raven. A being which could mask itself from my eye's oracular touch. It was plainly just a normal bird to any observation... in a place which produced nothing normal. And it made my head hurt if I looked at it. The husband of Nanzi's daughter produces a similar result when I look at him, and his name sounds like a bad joke, a reflection of Nanzi's colossal ego. Tell me, Doji Hikaru... what do you, or any of the Crane, actually know about Hadananzi? Because my vision of filth spreading in the snow included a flock of black-feathered birds cackling. And it reminded me of the raven that had no business being there at all. And it put me in mind of a man who has the same... confusing presence."

Current Theme

Kakita

Post by Kakita » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Kakita turned to Hikaru and spoke in a barely audible voice.

“I was young when he arrived. I remember my father speaking to him frequently… My father told me not to spend much time with him. Didn’t seem to like him. They seem to have butted heads as advisors to Nanzi-sama… He supposedly is a relative like the others who arrived after Nanzi’s wedding to Lady Doji.”

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 am

"Did he not?" Hikaru glanced quickly at Kakita. His forehead crease deepened.

While Sora had been speaking, Hikaru's lips pressed more and more firmly together. "Lord Nanzi's pride is not undeserved..." Hikaru sighed. "But we do not speak now of him. Hmmm..." He pursed his lips as he considered.

After a few moments, he spread the fingers of one hand. "Lord Hadananzi... as far as I have seen, is a proper gentleman. He is well-spoken, and treats well those around him, especially his now wife. Lady Doji even seems fond of him." His tone was strangely leaden at that.

Brow furrowing once more, he looked at Sora. "Of his past, I know nothing. But I might say the same of Lord Nanzi himself, or quite nearly. Are you suggesting he's some sort of supernatural being?"

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 am

Sora sighed.

"I am saying, Hikaru of the Doji, that I strongly suspect that Hadananzi is no kin to Nanzi, or any other human being. I am saying that Doji's husband found a new pet in a place suffused with the influence of the Realm of Evil. And now, Lady Doji is sickened, and seers are having dark visions of a winter court that he attends."

He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Obviously, we cannot act on my say-so, although I strongly suspect no one has ever seen our proud bridegroom handle jade given to him by someone else, but it is a place to begin. Cautiously."

Current Theme

Kakita

Post by Kakita » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:08 am

Kakita pondered the exchange quietly… never one to speak more than was necessary.

I must see this man… Stare into his eyes.
Last edited by Kakita on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 am

Hikaru was silent. It was a while before he said anything. His face, likewise, was impassive.

"This... is... troubling." He finally said slowly. "I do not see the best way forward. I cannot remember when that was not clear to me. Until now."

He frowned suddnly. "I thought everyone on the expedition was tested with jade. However that works. Would he not have been as well?"

Kakita

Post by Kakita » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:46 am

“We must confirm or deny this to the best of our ability with any method we can.”

Kakita’s voice was direct and clear.

“And if it is true… I will deal with him. I have been born into this world to confront this evil.”

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:55 am

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 am
He frowned suddnly. "I thought everyone on the expedition was tested with jade. However that works. Would he not have been as well?"
"No man bearing the ridiculous name of Hadananzi appeared on our expedition. Only a large black raven which appeared in the possession of Nanzi on the day we rescued Hisomu. It was never tested, so far as I know, mostly because those of us who distrusted it were cautious to avoid stirring up trouble with Nanzi at the time."

He paused

"Whatever I may think of Nanzi, I don't think he knew quite what the dangers were."

Current Theme

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Hikaru took a deep breath, once more looking between the other two in the room. "This requires investigation. Careful investigation. Hadananzi is honored among my clan. He is a guest of the Emperor himself. We can't just... walk up and toss jade on him."

He frowned again. "A number of the wedding gifts were jade. Did he handle any of them? Has he worn any of them since?"

Kakita

Post by Kakita » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm

Kakita nodded, “I will go and find Shosuro… Something tells me she would be well suited to this task. We must know and in a way that does not alert him to our aims…”

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Hikaru nodded to him. "I will be searching the library with a few others for information on Lady Doji's strange writing, and her ailment. Togashi Satsuki and Makime Ayano. I judge them both to be righteous."

He looked at his old friend curiously. "What is Shosuro-sama like? She is the daughter of Lord Bayushi?" His forehead creased; Lord Bayushi was a Kami, but...

Kakita

Post by Kakita » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 pm

“A mysterious young woman… Hard to notice unless she makes herself seen. And she has the trust of the Emperor.” He replied thoughtfully.

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:17 pm

"Should anything... untoward happen, my wife knows who I trust. But Jiyo Ayumu, Isawa Kyosei, Nozomi, and Hantei Kinsen all have useful experience. Togashi Satsuki is also trustworthy. But remember, the more people we inform, the more chances there are for information leaks."

He paused.

"Ayumu could probably help you in the library, if you can be circumspect about what it is you're after."

Another pause.

"And as far as the weddings gifts, I would hope that the bride, at least, might be persuaded to wear any that could be worn, for her own protection."

Current Theme

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Hikaru gave a tiny nod of acknowledgement at each name, although his eyes widened just the tiniest bit at the mention of Kinsen. "Very well. As it happens, I ment Jiyo Ayumu last night. He seemed to be a good sort."

He took a sharp intake of breath at the suggestion, eyes widening, more emotion than he'd yet shown. "I worry that it may be too late. If he is in fact what we fear he is. It would be spread through, uh, close contact, right?" Hikaru's brow furrowed again.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 pm

"Possibly. Possibly not. There's a lot we don't know about the Realm of Evil's influence. The Nezumi... seem to be immune to it, but almost nothing else we've encountered is. Reiko-sensei was deeply concerned about Hisomu being corrupted. That said, as Hisomu proves, Kami are a fair bit tougher than most, and I would hope that their children have some of that resilience."

Current Theme