[Day 6 - EE] The Play Observation Thread

Jiyo Ayumu

Re: [Day 6 - EE] The Play Observation Thread

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Dressed in his usual Phoenix uniform, his lap covered with sheets and sheets of notes, Ayumu remained seated and did not applaud.

At this point, the only thing that could still save the show was a surprise fifth act starting with Shinsei jumping on stage to punch Nanzi in the face to a chorus of Pain is the liar's only reward, followed by a more accurate retelling of the events.

A good piece of art lies to represent reality better. The sun has more vibrant colors in a painting than in reality so the onlooker can grasp the overwhelming feeling of watching dawn.

This play lied to make people doubt reality. A cardinal sin in Ayumu's book.
Imperial • Bushi • Isawa Tribe • Experienced

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 pm
Dressed in his usual Phoenix uniform, his lap covered with sheets and sheets of notes, Ayumu remained seated and did not applaud.

At this point, the only thing that could still save the show was a surprise fifth act starting with Shinsei jumping on stage to punch Nanzi in the face to a chorus of Pain is the liar's only reward, followed by a more accurate retelling of the events.

A good piece of art lies to represent reality better. The sun has more vibrant colors in a painting than in reality so the onlooker can grasp the overwhelming feeling of watching dawn.

This play lied to make people doubt reality. A cardinal sin in Ayumu's book.
"Thank you for your attendance, Jiyo-san," she said warmly.
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm

'Mom, is that what really happened?' Mayumi whispered after a moment, leaning up. Nozomi had been struggling with emotion through the entirety of the play, her lips quivering on the edge of something that was hard to say behind the mask. It was readily apparent that she was actively concealing her expressions at times during the play, and finally with a slow, stilling her face and calming it down to a mask of normal behavior even if her lip twitched a little.

She smiled at her daughter and reached over to pat her shoulder. "The answer to your question, daughter of mine, is neither here, nor is it there," she said with a properly vague tone. Internally, she had just barely managed to avoid bursting out into a nearly cacophonous gale of laughter through the entire affair. It was impossible for her to take what she had seen as serious, and at this point it was so deeply far afield of Nanzi's own accounts that she had a strange feeling the entire thing was intended as a farce, though if so perhaps it was too soon.

====

Etiquette/Willpower of 26 to maintain decorum (after Disturbing Countenance). Should be sufficient.

(OOC: Feel free to approach if you wish. Please quote or PM me if you do.)
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Doji Dojihime wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 pm
"Thank you for your attendance, Jiyo-san," she said warmly.
"Doji-sama."

Ayumu had the look of a calm but disappointed teacher about to return an exam copy more red than black to its owner.

"The degree of production values – costumes, scenery – of the show was quite impressive, especially under such circumstances. Clearly a great deal of time and efforts was poured into making the play memorable, and the actors seemingly did their best.

I'm curious such a big project came to be. Who did write it, for which occasion, that kind of things."

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:55 pm
"Doji-sama."

Ayumu had the look of a calm but disappointed teacher about to return an exam copy more red than black to its owner.

"The degree of production values – costumes, scenery – of the show was quite impressive, especially under such circumstances. Clearly a great deal of time and efforts was poured into making the play memorable, and the actors seemingly did their best.

I'm curious such a big project came to be. Who did write it, for which occasion, that kind of things."
"Well I worked on the songs and based it on stories from those that were there, I took some liberties to portray a more streamlined adventure story but felt it hit the story beats of struggle, brotherhood, and the Empire overcoming evil while also giving useful knowledge about protecting oneself from the evils of Jigoku," she responded.

"Surely you enjoyed it? I have it on good authority that the Imperial Soldier was based on your countenance."
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:56 pm
Likewise the Makime heiress was present, wearing a fine silk ensemble. Ayano was excited to see a grand play, though for the most part she kept a stoic exterior. Even if her green eyes betrayed excitement.
The second act done, Misaki stood up and went over to Ayano, "May I have a seat with you, Makime-sama?"

The Crane woman bowed as she spoke, her usual serene smile a bit stoic or troubled.
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:30 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:14 pm
The second act done, Misaki stood up and went over to Ayano, "May I have a seat with you, Makime-sama?"

The Crane woman bowed as she spoke, her usual serene smile a bit stoic or troubled.
Ayano had been engrossed in the play, she had already cataloged an extensive number of breaks with her prior readings on the event, but it was fun and the Lioness didn't get her history from plays.

The arrival of Misaki brought a calm smile to her face. "Of course Doji-san." She paused then added, "Ayano is fine, Doji-san."

Her eyes focused on the troubled expression on the Crane's face. When the other woman settled in, she asked quietly, "What is wrong?"
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 pm
Gusai makes his way over, tendering a bow.

"The hospitality of your establishment exceeds the reports," he says. "And I see that the chief flower is even more radiant amid the arrangement it leads."
Tsubaki smiles warmly as she returns the bow, "I am glad to here it all meets with your approval, Otomo-sama."
Shadowlands • Harbinger • Sweet Dreams are Made of These
Escándalo: ∞

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 pm
Tsubaki smiles warmly as she returns the bow, "I am glad to here it all meets with your approval, Otomo-sama."
"How could it not?" Gusai replies. His eye flickers to her headdress, and he adds "I must compliment you on your attire, as well; even with one eye, I can see the care and skill in it, and you wear it so very well."
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:30 pm
Ayano had been engrossed in the play, she had already cataloged an extensive number of breaks with her prior readings on the event, but it was fun and the Lioness didn't get her history from plays.

The arrival of Misaki brought a calm smile to her face. "Of course Doji-san." She paused then added, "Ayano is fine, Doji-san."

Her eyes focused on the troubled expression on the Crane's face. When the other woman settled in, she asked quietly, "What is wrong?"
"Wrong?"

Her brow furrowed even more as she took a seat, like a cat trying to figure out how to get into a see through food container.

"What makes you think something is wrong, Ayano-sama?"

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:39 pm
"How could it not?" Gusai replies. His eye flickers to her headdress, and he adds "I must compliment you on your attire, as well; even with one eye, I can see the care and skill in it, and you wear it so very well."
"Why thank you!" She lightly touches the crown, careful not to disturb it or her well coifed hair, "It felt like a good day to explore a new style."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:10 pm
"Why thank you!" She lightly touches the crown, careful not to disturb it or her well coifed hair, "It felt like a good day to explore a new style."
"There seems a fair bit of it today," Gusai replies, gesturing towards the stage. "Though I think you carry yours better than most. I have to ask, though, why the antlers? I'm pleased, of course, but there are so many others here; what have we done to earn the honor of gracing your radiant self?"
Otomo Gusai

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm
"There seems a fair bit of it today," Gusai replies, gesturing towards the stage. "Though I think you carry yours better than most. I have to ask, though, why the antlers? I'm pleased, of course, but there are so many others here; what have we done to earn the honor of gracing your radiant self?"
"I'll admit it partly came down to availability but a sign of the camaraderie between our clans is definitely an added benefit."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:47 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:39 pm
"I'll admit it partly came down to availability but a sign of the camaraderie between our clans is definitely an added benefit."
"One must, of course, work with what is to hand," Gusai agrees, "although the hand of a master is clear even then.

"But," he continues, "what do you think of this production? I imagine it's been quite the blessing to your bouquet."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 pm
"Wrong?"

Her brow furrowed even more as she took a seat, like a cat trying to figure out how to get into a see through food container.

"What makes you think something is wrong, Ayano-sama?"
Ayano's smile was gentle, "Because you have always been a picture of serene beauty. Open to everyone, but now you make me think of a closed book. So... something is bothering you isn't it?"
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:28 pm
"You, however..." His words were cut off at the sudden appearance of a Dragon Princess with limited concept of personal space. His lips twisted as he struggled to either suppress a big smile or a deep frown. Probably both at once. Likewise, his eyes glinted with infectious cheer, even as they widened with alarm. People were complicated.

A moment, and he recovered his dignity. "I shall endeavor to do so, Togashi-sama, if only for the practice." He gave both Kami children a bow. "May I congratulate both of you on your performances? Both of your stars shone brightly tonight."
"Thank you!" She beamed happily, then looked at her cousin who was already busy mingling. "Hime-chan is the most talented of us, but... yeah, I suppose this was a lot of fun. Silly, and very different from the accounts I've heard, but fun!"

Satsuki looked around to try to get a feel of the reception of the play. "It's just silly entertainment to make people laugh, I think. Have fun."
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:21 pm
Ayano's smile was gentle, "Because you have always been a picture of serene beauty. Open to everyone, but now you make me think of a closed book. So... something is bothering you isn't it?"
"Hm... I suppose?"

She looks over to the stage thoughtfully, expression softening, "It is a good play, but some of the things presented don't match up with what I've heard from stories or read in scrolls...""

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:40 pm

Doji Dojihime wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm
"Well I worked on the songs and based it on stories from those that were there, I took some liberties to portray a more streamlined adventure story but felt it hit the story beats of struggle, brotherhood, and the Empire overcoming evil while also giving useful knowledge about protecting oneself from the evils of Jigoku," she responded.

"Surely you enjoyed it? I have it on good authority that the Imperial Soldier was based on your countenance."
"Closer to a composite character of several of the participants, myself included, but that's the kind of artistic license I can get behind at least in principle.

No, I'm speaking about the bear in the room. Where's Shinsei? Where are the tribes? A starry night is still a starry night if you group some of the stars together or depict some of them in a different color or brightness. If you remove the moon and one third of the stars, you're starring at a wholly different sky."

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm
"Thank you!" She beamed happily, then looked at her cousin who was already busy mingling. "Hime-chan is the most talented of us, but... yeah, I suppose this was a lot of fun. Silly, and very different from the accounts I've heard, but fun!"

Satsuki looked around to try to get a feel of the reception of the play. "It's just silly entertainment to make people laugh, I think. Have fun."
"Hime-chan..." Hikaru smiled, less at the phrase, more because, well, Satsuki's smile was hard to not smile at, when experienced at such proximity.

He let out a breath. "Yes... fun... I suppose it was. The songs were enjoyable." His smile became noticeably wry. "I am not sure why I had such difficulty. Perhaps it was the weight of all that history. Or the audience..." He looked at Satsuki, smiling again. "Did you not feel strange, portraying Jiyo Sora-sama, when he was watching you from no more than twenty paces away?"

He took a glance around as well, brows drawing down slightly.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm
"Hime-chan..." Hikaru smiled, less at the phrase, more because, well, Satsuki's smile was hard to not smile at, when experienced at such proximity.

He let out a breath. "Yes... fun... I suppose it was. The songs were enjoyable." His smile became noticeably wry. "I am not sure why I had such difficulty. Perhaps it was the weight of all that history. Or the audience..." He looked at Satsuki, smiling again. "Did you not feel strange, portraying Jiyo Sora-sama, when he was watching you from no more than twenty paces away?"

He took a glance around as well, brows drawing down slightly.
Catching his look, Satsuki shook her head slightly. "I hoped he'd be here, but he said he's taking an early rest." She didn't elaborate why, but Hikaru could guess. "I was looking forward to see his reaction to my amazing portrayal of him. Figured it would get a few good laughs from the old bag, buuut... I understand why."

Sensing Hikaru's concern, she didn't opt for the patting on the shoulder or back this time. Merely an understanding look. "You've had a lot on your mind lately. It's alright. You'll do better next time!"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).