General Poll: Number of Thunders

How Many Thunders?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:23 pm

7 Thunders: It's like the 7 samurai! No other reason than that and aligning with the canon number.
6%
9 Thunders: One per Clan. This is the default.
36%
10 Thunders: One per Kami. Includes the Imperials.
18%
11 Thunders: One per Kami, plus Nezumi.
30%
Another number: Suggestions welcome in the comments.
9%

Total votes: 33

Jiyo Sora

Re: General Poll: Number of Thunders

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:43 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:36 pm
Oh god... I am so glad I'm not gonna be a thunder. HAHAH
PREACH.
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Doji Tsubaki

Post by Doji Tsubaki » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:50 pm

*Donates experience to give Sora and Nozomi both great destiny*
Shadowlands • Harbinger • Sweet Dreams are Made of These
Escándalo: ∞

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:51 pm

I would go with 12 adding a spirit realm representative or Original 5 races (Kenku, Ningyo, Kitsu, Zokujin or Troll)
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:50 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sora has already basically mugged the canon Lady Asako for a lot of her stuff, helped rescue Hisomu, helped found the Birbverse Kolat... let's not Forrest Gump the guy, hm? :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he unknowingly married a Fortune. Can't forget that.
Last edited by Jiyo Sora on Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm

Doji Tsubaki wrote:
Pffft, I already bought it. *wink* However, her Great Destiny is ultimately not that of a Thunder, whatever form or occasion it takes. Verified that with the mods.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 pm
Doji Tsubaki wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sora has already basically mugged the canon Lady Asako for a lot of her stuff, helped rescue Hisomu, helped found the Birbverse Kolat... let's not Forrest Gump the guy, hm? :lol:
To be fair, doing all of that makes him definite candidate to become Thunder. Many of them were heroes prior to the Day of Thunder.
Spider Clan Shugenja * Antisocial * Fashionista * Slightly Paranoid * Not a Fan of Jigoku

Equipment:

Canary
Site Admin

Post by Canary » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:05 pm

Exactly. If you have done awesome stuff already, beware. :twisted:
GM | Birb | Tiny | Floofy | Experienced 2

Honor: All of it, Status: Yes, Glory: Very yes

"Our wisdom flows so sweet. Taste, and see."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:16 pm

Voted 11 because I think the Day of Thunder helping to set the tone for inter-empires relations going forward is both interesting and appropriate. I won't cry if there's a Nezumi "guide" or whatever instead, although as some have noted I think the Yume-do connection makes them even more logically connected.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Canary wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:05 pm
Exactly. If you have done awesome stuff already, beware. :twisted:
It's better to just do good stuff. Less risky.
Bat Clan 🦇 Heir 🦇 Ishiken 🦇 Void 🦇 Spirit Guide 🦇 Ethereal 🦇 Pale 🦇 Lost in Thought 🦇 Engineer
Status 4 ⚪ Glory 3 ⚪ Honor: Untrustworthy

Carries: Tanto, Divination Kit, Medicine Kit, Lantern, Parchment, Seal, Water
Accompanied By: Hen

Anjing Sagara

Post by Anjing Sagara » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:37 am

I still think that it shouldn't be faction oriented and that it should focus on something else, like Bushido, or one per element (but then it would be too few). And that the number should make sense with superstition. :D
Anjing Sagara
Crab Clan ❖ Shugenja ❖ Contrary ❖ Disturbing scar from intense burn
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 1.0 ❖ Expected Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, Scroll Satchel. in battle: Scroll Satchel, Die Tsuchi

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:47 pm

Superstition-wise, 7 makes sense, 9 does not (due to 'ku' one of the ways to pronounce it, also meaning torture or agony). 4 is also horrible as the reading 'shi' also means 'death'.

13 is somewhat thought unlucky, but due to Western influence.

So... 7 or 11. Or maybe 13. As I said before, prime numbers ftw ;)

But again... I was thinking of player fun and participation here. Although since this is a mini game that may not be so important.
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:58 pm

9 might not be an unlucky number in this Rokugan due to the number of clans? :D
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 pm

I am a little sad because i gave Susumu GD but there's no way he's qualifying as a Thunder because Matsu is already our girl

I mean I know there's plenty to do with it still and I don't regret it
Spider | Bushi...and Courtier? Nani?!? | "Representative" of the Brood (Ninube and Reo's kids) | Surprisingly high ranked
Carries: Daisho, Yumi, Sturdy Clothing, Light Armor, Straw Cloak

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Hisomu Susumu wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 pm
I am a little sad because i gave Susumu GD but there's no way he's qualifying as a Thunder because Matsu is already our girl

The known Thunders (Matsu and Otaku) aren't locked in on being the Thunders. They're just confirmed as having the soul of destiny and have the possibility of being a Thunder.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:11 pm
In truth, yeah. You're about spot on. Now, that said? That's not necessarily what happens here. We'll see how chapter 4 plays out, but in many regards, the story of a "Thunder" is the final conclusion of a Great Destiny. By the nature of the climactic battle, the majority of the Thunders don't generally survive the encounter. Many were lost in the second day of thunder and almost all were lost in the first. Their story leads up to it, and it serves as a final capstone, likely with a singular 'after effect' in their memory and honor (e.g. Families devoted to their memory, such as what happened with the Otaku family.)
It's kind of interesting to look at how many survived the 2nd Day of Thunder vs the first one.

Now the first one could go absolutely overboard with being brutal and pyrrhic victory, since it was all in the past, so from a "living storyline" point of view, it makes sense that they didn't kill off all the Thunders on the 2DoT.
Hida Yakamo - survived, later died and was reborn as the Qatol, and also became the new Sun.
Doji Hoturi - ded.
Mirumoto Hitomi - survived, went batshit crazy and turned the Dragon clan on its head, duelled the Moon and became the new Moon.
Toturi - survived, became the new Emperor.
Isawa Tadaka - ded.
Bayushi Kachiko - survived, became Clan Champion and went to Burning Sands during the Exile, later saved Shosuro from the Lying Darkness.
Otaku Kamoko - survived, was instrumental in defeating Moto Tsume and the Dark Moto.

So 2DoT had a much higher rate of survival and continued awesomeness, compared to 1DoT where only Shosuro returned alive from the Shadowlands.
Theme | Profile

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Hisomu Susumu wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 pm

Yeah again all people identified are potential thunders, not the clan Thunder, I think lots of people this game have GD so you are not alone. Matsu and Otaku, I presume, will have to qualify like anyone else.

Or however the GMs decide to do the process.
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:18 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm
It's kind of interesting to look at how many survived the 2nd Day of Thunder vs the first one.

Now the first one could go absolutely overboard with being brutal and pyrrhic victory, since it was all in the past, so from a "living storyline" point of view, it makes sense that they didn't kill off all the Thunders on the 2DoT.
Hida Yakamo - survived, later died and was reborn as the Qatol, and also became the new Sun.
Doji Hoturi - ded.
Mirumoto Hitomi - survived, went batshit crazy and turned the Dragon clan on its head, duelled the Moon and became the new Moon.
Toturi - survived, became the new Emperor.
Isawa Tadaka - ded.
Bayushi Kachiko - survived, became Clan Champion and went to Burning Sands during the Exile, later saved Shosuro from the Lying Darkness.
Otaku Kamoko - survived, was instrumental in defeating Moto Tsume and the Dark Moto.

So 2DoT had a much higher rate of survival and continued awesomeness, compared to 1DoT where only Shosuro returned alive from the Shadowlands.
Maybe I am morbid, but samurai drama to me usually means death all over.

Or at least the kind I find fun.
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm
I believe that, if we politely ignore the "Thunder Cards" from the Dawn expansion and just how incredibly powerful they were, and ignore the story that is told of their incredible power by those who came after? I strongly suspect that the reality of the first day of Thunder is that they, much like the heroes we'll be sending, were probably desperate Insight Rank 3-4 characters fighting for their lives against a force from hell that nobody was remotely prepared for. Sons of the kami they might have been, but they were famous because they were willing to go the extra mile in that moment and sacrifice everything in the moment that it needed to happen.

The second day of thunder's heroes shared this, but they were also veterans of war who had been trained in the full length of highly developed schools of combat, with generations of study of the shadowlands behind them. They were not 'ready' for Fu Leng's return, but they were infinitely better prepared with a full thousand years to prepare. Fu Leng was considerably more powerful than he'd been originally, but so were they, and finally in that moment one of the kami directly involved itself in the final fight (however futilely in the end).

It's one of the reasons why I'm not at all miffed by us being IR 3 at the high end. This is Dawn, not Thunder 2. Our heroes really aren't ready for this. They're in for the fight of their lives.

(Notable exceptions to the "Power scale" of the original thunders was obviously Isawa, whose magical prowess has arguably never been seen since. Even Atarasi does not become the horrifying bulwark he's known for until he becomes the first Akatsuki.)
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Doji Dojihime wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:18 pm
Maybe I am morbid, but samurai drama to me usually means death all over.

Or at least the kind I find fun.
I don't mind everyone dying as long as the story is good. :) If I somehow get my character chosen as a Thunder, I'm prepared for them to die in the Day of Thunder.

Also, I sometimes wonder if the reason why the 1DoT went "worse" for the Thunders compared to 2DoT was because they were in a better position.
  • On a mechanical level, all the folks on 2DoT were overall very solid in power level, and had access to full school techniques compared to Dawn-period capping to around Technique rank 3.
  • Togashi was manipulating things to the benefit of the Thunders. Yakamo and Hitomi had the Jade Hand and Obsidian Hand respectively as well.
  • They had the benefit of fighting on familiar ground (sort of), and benefitting from Kachiko's prepwork in poisoning the Emperor's body over a long time.
  • They also had the ability to finish the ritual Isawa had started.
Nozomi wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:23 pm
I believe that, if we politely ignore the "Thunder Cards" from the Dawn expansion and just how incredibly powerful they were, and ignore the story that is told of their incredible power by those who came after? I strongly suspect that the reality of the first day of Thunder is that they, much like the heroes we'll be sending, were probably desperate Insight Rank 3-4 characters fighting for their lives against a force from hell that nobody was remotely prepared for. Sons of the kami they might have been, but they were famous because they were willing to go the extra mile in that moment and sacrifice everything in the moment that it needed to happen.

The second day of thunder's heroes shared this, but they were also veterans of war who had been trained in the full length of highly developed schools of combat, with generations of study of the shadowlands behind them. They were not 'ready' for Fu Leng's return, but they were infinitely better prepared with a full thousand years to prepare. Fu Leng was considerably more powerful than he'd been originally, but so were they, and finally in that moment one of the kami directly involved itself in the final fight (however futilely in the end).

It's one of the reasons why I'm not at all miffed by us being IR 3 at the high end. This is Dawn, not Thunder 2. Our heroes really aren't ready for this. They're in for the fight of their lives.

(Notable exceptions to the "Power scale" of the original thunders was obviously Isawa, whose magical prowess has arguably never been seen since. Even Atarasi does not become the horrifying bulwark he's known for until he becomes the first Akatsuki.)
Very much this, yeah. :D The first vs the second had a whole lot of differences, and the first Day was a lot more unchartered territory than the second one.
Theme | Profile

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:22 pm

I'd just add here something that has been said before on other topics, but - I don't feel we should have a problem with Dawn straying too far from canon in this, or, in other words, I don't feel we should rush to make things "like they were in canon".

Of course the "rush" part doesn't apply so much here because the Day of Thunder actually happened at around this time. But still, having it be more its own thing and less "the same thing, just different" sounds fun to me.

And then... Well, death and drama may be part of it, but I do like less grim stories too - and I feel particularly at the moment I've been hoping for less grim stories considering the RL situation rn XD.

But then of course, each one has their own preferences. I'm just hoping for a nice story, grim or lighter, and for everyone to have fun!
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.