[Go fund Me] Spirit Magistrate Path

Bayushi Sasori

[Go fund Me] Spirit Magistrate Path

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:24 am

I would like to create the Spirit Magistrate path as the protectors and vigilantes of the Spirit Realms against their corruption and be diplomats to the between ningen-do and the spirit realms that are allowed passage. (Not Tengoku or Jigoku) I'll give a draft soon.
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Chai Kotsume

Re: [Go fund Me] Spirit Magistrate Path

Post by Chai Kotsume » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 pm

I should say I'm quite sad I likely won't have points remaining for this, b/c I think this is a very nice idea!

Maybe it can get done after Dawn 4?

Also - how many points are you short?
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:42 am

No worries... I know you are tight on point... but it will be done thanks for the good intentions.

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:09 pm

This is an idea for the path:

Spirit Realms Magistrate

Replaces: Any Bushi, Courtier, or Shugenja School, Rank 3

Requirements: Investigation 3, Lore: Spirit Realms 3, must have Child of Chikushudo or Touch of the Realm Advantage

Technique: Scholar of the Spirits – Scholar of the Spirit realms is a master at deciphering the mysteries of the spirits. You may make a Perception / Lore Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits an area that you can see. If the spirit is detected, you can roll an Awareness /Investigation to asses the intention of the spirit.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:25 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:09 pm

Spirit Realms Magistrate

Requirements: Investigation 3, Lore: Spirit Realms 3, must have Child of Chikushudo or Touch of the Realm Advantage

Technique: Scholar of the Spirits – Scholar of the Spirit realms is a master at deciphering the mysteries of the spirits. You may make a Perception / Lore Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits an area that you can see. If the spirit is detected, you can roll an Awareness /Investigation to asses the intention of the spirit.
I see the Jade Magistrate inspiration here!

A couple of thoughts:
-Are you very committed to the 'must have a specific Advantage' requirement? These are pretty rare in official Paths. I can see how it would help someone perform this duty, but would people without one of the Advantages be totally barred from the organization?
-What about adding "must receive an appointment as a Spirit Magistrate [or whatever they end up called] before this Path can be entered"? That would match the other organization-specific Paths.
-Might be good to list (or at least suggest) TNs for the two rolls specified in the technique
-"You may make a Perception / Lore Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits an area that you can see"--is this limited to spirits who are present right now? Would "make a Perception / Lore: Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits from other Realms or traces of spirit activity in an area within the past forty-eight hours" (borrowing from the Jade Magistrates) be too much?
-I assume "spirits" here mainly means shapeshifters, gaki, and so on, and wouldn't apply to kansen or oni?
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Bayushi Kogi wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:25 pm
-Are you very committed to the 'must have a specific Advantage' requirement? These are pretty rare in official Paths. I can see how it would help someone perform this duty, but would people without one of the Advantages be totally barred from the organization?
Some official paths (including Jade Magistrate actually) allow to waive part of the skill requirements if you have a specific Advantage or condition. Maybe that could be an appropriate compromise here too?
Bayushi Sasori wrote:
I know the Jade Magistrate does word it like that... But at this point a simple:
Replaces: Any School, Rank 3
Would do as well.
Imperial • Bushi • Isawa Tribe • Experienced

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm

Bayushi Kogi wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:25 pm

A couple of thoughts:
I had thought of it and even thought on including the Cursed by the Realm disadvantage and make it a redeeming on the curse. The advantage is more flavor than actual requirement. So it can do without.
-What about adding "must receive an appointment as a Spirit Magistrate [or whatever they end up called] before this Path can be entered"? That would match the other organization-specific Paths.
This is feasible and take out the advantage requirement
-Might be good to list (or at least suggest) TNs for the two rolls specified in the technique
Yeah I have to think about it because I feel that different spirits have different strength of auras. I may go with
5x (days +1 of the spirit trailed the area
-"You may make a Perception / Lore Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits an area that you can see"--is this limited to spirits who are present right now? Would "make a Perception / Lore: Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits from other Realms or traces of spirit activity in an area within the past forty-eight hours" (borrowing from the Jade Magistrates) be too much?
I think it would be more based on the GM to allow this depending on the aura of the spirit. I think I read somewhere that the longer a spirit inhabits Ningen do the less they emanate the aura of their spirit realm. This trace depends on how long this spirit has been inhabiting Ningen do. I must come up with a better formula
-I assume "spirits" here mainly means shapeshifters, gaki, and so on, and wouldn't apply to kansen or oni?
Jigoku is a tricky realm and I think it should apply to denizens of Jigoku as well as Inhabitants of Tengoku. I can see the problems in overstepping into other people's idea.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:27 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:

Spirit Realms Magistrate

Just seen this here, ended up having to be afk a long time the last few days.

So.. I agree with quite a few of the comments above. Setting TNs sounds good if possible; maybe an increased TN for Jigoku and Tengoku might make sense (and step less on other organisations/ people's toes)?

Also, I'd like to add one more comment that I think may be important. Rank 3 is the Attack as Simple Action technique for many Bushi schools (while others get it at Rank 4). Maybe change it to "Any Courtier or Shugenja Rank 3, or any Bushi School Rank 3 or 4" so that characters from dedicated Bushi schools don't lose access to SAA?
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:16 pm

I have edited to this:

Spirit Realms Magistrate

Replaces: Courtier, or Shugenja School, Rank 3 or Bushi rank 3 or 4

Requirements: Investigation 3, Lore: Spirit Realms 3,
Special: Must receive appointment by Head Magistrate

Technique: Scholar of the Spirits – Scholar of the Spirit realms is a master at deciphering the mysteries of the spirits. You may make a Perception / Lore Spirit Realms Skill Roll to identify any spirits an area that you can see or trail of a spirit that passed by (base TN=10, +5 for each day that had passed since the spirit was at the place). If the spirit is detected, you can roll an Awareness /Investigation to asses the intention of the spirit (Base TN 15, +5 for each day passed). If you have a blessing of the realm the spirit is from you get a free raise.