[Day 9, Early Morning] A Patient Man (Closed, Expecting)

Jiyo Sora

Re: [Day 9, Early Morning] A Patient Man (Closed, Expecting)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm

"I noted some disquiet at, let us call it moves aimed at limiting the Emperor's power. I am curious about... why."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Gusai nods quietly, sits quietly for a moment before answering.

"Couple of reasons. One's chain of command. Mutiny's a serious thing, not to be countenanced--unless it has to be. Sometimes, a captain's steered the ship...wrong. Too wrong. Stupid wrong. Can't have a stupid captain--but this ship," and Gusai gestures vaguely about, "hasn't got one, far as I know. You don't mutiny on a smart captain; you stand your watch, you do your hitch, and you don't ship out with him again, you don't like how he runs the ship.

"And seemed like someone's trying to get out of a deal that'd been struck, getting the pay without giving the goods. That's bad business--and you never know if someone running bad business'll run it on you."
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:17 pm

"And if I told you that I was less concerned about the ability of the Kami to express concerns to the Throne than I was about the ability of the common people of the Empire, what would you say?"
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:25 pm

"That that makes sense," Gusai replies. "Right now, the Kami're siblings, and even their children recognize their kinship. But the Emperor is for all of us, and if a captain ought to be obeyed, he's also got to know his crew--from the mates down to the lowest deckhand. And there's not one of them who doesn't have something to offer."
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:29 pm

"That's what I said- although phrased more coherently than I did it- about twenty years ago- back when there was some actual thought of throwing the Kami out on the ears in some quarters."

He snorted.

"Stupidity, of course, all the dissenters could seem to agree on was a general sense of unease. But some of them- some of us- came around to a saner perspective. Particularly when Shiba took the Throne."

A pause.

"So. That is a part of my function, even now."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:00 pm

"Keeping the lines clear, you mean?" Gusai asks. "Or keeping the captain from being...foolish? Or keeping mutineers...off?"

Here's something not in the stories, he thinks.
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:22 pm

"I see it as simultaneously doing what I can for humankind, to make things a blending of ways rather than a supplanting of them- and making sure the Emperor is kept aware of our concerns, rather than finding out about them when they boil over. We maintain a degree of secrecy mostly because kicking up a fuss is a great way to turn things into an out and out fight with those who want everything a certain way across the entire Empire- although, since I tell the Emperor everything, whoever he trusts probably knows, and even without him letting it slip, I'm fairly certain that Bayushi and Togashi would have figured it out."

He didn't mention Koyama and Shinjo. What his old friend chose to tell his wife- or not!- was his business.

"Not to put too fine a point on it, we take the Kami as individuals. And had someone else won the Throne..."

Sora shrugged.

"I shudder to think of what both the Empire and this little group I'm in might have become."

He cocked his head at Gusai.

"So. You can see the complexity of my situation."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:51 pm

Gusai nods.

"Does sound like a tangled net," he says. "I'm guessing you could use some more help to get it sorted."

He pauses.

"And, yeah, I can see taking the Kami as they are. Even with one eye, I can see it--as some seems can't."
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:54 pm

"Some might say, given what the Lord of the Stag sees as the right order of things, that doing so would compromise your loyalty to him."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:38 pm

"It's not an easy question, no," Gusai admits.
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:18 pm

"I place great stock in loyalty, Otomo-san. I will think no less of you if you decline involvement on those grounds. My own loyalty to Shiba-Heika is part of why I tell him everything I know about what we get up to."

He smiled.

"It's also why I am willing to reveal my involvement to you."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Gusai considers.

Something done with Imperial knowledge and consent can hardly be wrong, right?

And after events in court, with Kinsen, especially.

And the...things...the Crane had brought out.

There's a blind spot worse than his missing eye.

"I'd be interested."
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 pm

"Well, then. There will be a vetting process. Which, if my people do their jobs right, you shouldn't notice happening. There won't be a ceremony if you pass muster- I'll just let you know. The fact that we're having this conversation indicates a degree of confidence in my part, but we can't do anything too rashly. You understand, I trust?"

He smiled. Fished a small clay bottle out of his obi.

"Introductions will be made as needed. While the Emperor accepts our existence, we do try to keep a low profile, and it's always easiest to keep secrets you genuinely don't know."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:14 pm

Gusai nods.

"I'll keep an eye open for it," he says.

Then his eyebrow rises.

"Should I be worried about the bottle?"
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:15 pm

"Oh, it's pretty mild stuff compared to that metal polish we had the other day. But it's something of an acquired taste. Hikaru beer. The way we used to make it in the Spine of the World."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:28 am

"Worth trying," Gusai says. "Still in production?"
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:50 am

"In Ki-Rin lands. A lot of Hikaru followed Koyama into the clan. I suspect the recipe will change over time."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 am

Gusai nods. "Most things do," he says. "The way my mother cooks isn't the way hers did."
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:03 am

"So. Give it a try. A little piece of the past, fated to go as it all does."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:15 am

"Destiny ever goes as it must," Gusai replies, taking the drink and drinking it.

'Definitely a different thing."
Otomo Gusai