[D6, LM] Curiosity of the otter

Akodo Kawauso

[D6, LM] Curiosity of the otter

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:10 pm

Kawauso would normally have been at the river, but as the weather improved there began to be more people there. So, coupled with a need to feel better versed in what the empire had to offer, the tall Lion warrior made her way through the market district. She wandered from shop to shop with no particular objective, her look shifting between curiosity and wonder.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Otomo Gusai

Re: [D6, LM] Curiosity of the otter

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 pm

She is not alone in doing so, as Gusai walks through with a rolling gait.

He sees the Lion, her colors standing out upon her tall, athletic frame. And that attracts his attention, certainly, so he walks up beside her at a stall selling what looks like ceramics and says "These are reasonably good," his practiced eye appraising the wares. Then, turning more fully to her, he bows, adding "Otomo Gusai, master of the Hopeful Endeavor. With whom have I the pleasure of speaking this morning?"
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:31 pm

The Lion turns to the Stag, appraising him with the eyes of a curious otter.

"I'm Akodo Kawauso, Otomo-san. River guardian and emissary of my father, Lord Akodo's master of the Great Western River." She gives a rather bemused smile. "Just what kind of endeavor are you the master of?"
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:42 pm

"Then you'll be familiar with sailing," Gusai replies, "and would know the Endeavor is a ship that sails the seas. So we might have somewhat in common, as it happens, though I'm generally farther east than your father's demesne."
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Kawauso's eyebrow arches. "Sailing the sea is far removed from the river, Otomo-san. I'll take a good paddle over a sail any day," she says with a small smirk.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:14 pm

I bet you would, Gusai thinks, smirking in return. "You're right, of course. It's far less challenging."

He pauses a moment, and his smile warms. "But I've every expectation you'd do well, did you try it. You look...capable, and more."
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:33 pm

"Hum. Otomo-san thinks himself a charmer, yet takes a dig at my paddling as 'less challenging,'" the Lion says, eyebrow raised. "Tell me more about sailing, and why you think a simple river girl would do well at it." She crosses her arms.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:37 pm

"I'd not call you simple," he says, "especially not after having seen your performance in the ring. But that's actually part of why I think you'd do well at it; you're inventive, clearly, and when you throw yourself into a thing, you throw hard."

He grins again, somewhat wickedly. "It's a good quality on deck. So's how stable your stance is; drop a little lower in the knees, and you'd have sea-legs for days.

"And even aboard ship, there'd be room for paddling."
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Kawauso makes a slightly pained face at mention of her sumai technique, and is still stuck there and misses the paddling reference.

"It, um... It did not occur to me that sumai was, ah, so much more formal than the unarmed style of the river people," she says, still embarrassed. "And, uh, I'm sorry for the unnecessary drama during your event."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:59 pm

She's got a cute blush, Gusai thinks, but he says, smiling, "It was no trouble at all, truly! And the Lady Hantei approved, so there's not much argument to be had on that score.

"But it seems you've had opportunity to practice?" he asks, clearly inviting her to say on.
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Kawauso's embarrassment fades, though she looks a little incredulous at the question. "I mean, you spend enough time fighting river raiders... And yeah, you practice things to be ready. I mean, what kind of river guardian would I be if I wasn't ready to fight, whether I've got a spear to hand or not?"

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 am

"You'd appear to've done well for yourself in that practice, then," Gusai replies, and his hand absently adjusts his eyepatch. "But there've been a few called by titles that are...less apt." His good eye looks around. "A great many people do love their airs, you know.

"But you talk of spears, and I've seen your open-hand arts. Tell me, please, what other weapons have you studied? For me, it's open hands and knives--not much room below deck, after all, and easy to replace after loss."
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:48 am

Kawauso gives a curious squint toward the eyepatch adjustment, but avoids prying and simply answers. "I'm trained in Kenjutsu as well, mostly thanks to the Makime," she says. "I prefer the spear, which is traditional for my people. On land or river, for close combat or throwing, spears are highly effective." After a brief pause, she adds, "Oh, and I'm a fair shot with a bow. Not really an ideal weapon when you're always worried about wet bow string, though."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:33 am

"Not so much, no," Gusai agrees, "although I know some sailors who seem to have found a way around it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with various oils, but crews that have secrets aren't apt to share them."

He shrugs. "But you know how it is. Any advantage that can be kept and all."
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:25 pm

"Keeping advantages secret in this new... interconnected empire seems like it will get less and less possible," Kawauso says a little solemnly. "Working together for greater advantages seems more the, um, mood that I've seen" the Lion says with a question in her voice.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 pm

"It does, yes," Gusai agrees readily. "And it's a good thing, overall. But that doesn't mean we don't each have something in reserve--and not always something that others know about.

"But that's part of what keeps us interesting, that there's more to learn."

Gusai grins as he adds "So, tell me, river-master's daughter, what all would you like to learn?"
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:59 pm

"Otomo-san, I think a simple river girl like me has already learned more than enough for her first visit to the capital," Kawauso says with a light smile. "There is so much going on, even with being trapped indoors so much... If i am to learn anything more, I simply hope it is how this whirlwind story ends." She exhales, biting her lip ever faintly. Then she switches to a stronger voice. "What about you, great sea captain Otomo-san? What do you wish to learn before the weather finally allows us all to escape?"

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:04 pm

"Patience" falls out of Gusai's mouth before he has a chance to stifle it--not an admonition, but an answer to her question.

He closes his eye, draws a sharp breath and releases it, opens the eye, and answers more fully "I'd like to learn more about what all we can offer each other--yes, as individuals, but more on behalf of our people. And I've spoken to some degree with Makime Ayano on that score, but the voice of an Akodo'd be gladly heard, as well."
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:49 am

"Makime-sama is wise and well spoken, so I would not disagree with anything she's told you. On behalf of the Akodo, I might reinforce that good access to the sea is a priority. The people of Lord Akodo's wife should be welcome in our lands, making coastline very important, and of course with greater access to the sea, we could enjoy greater connection to our friends among the Stag." Kawauso smiles pleasantly, having delivered her proper courtier's answer to the question.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:25 am

"See, that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind!" Gusai replies, eagerly. "What I'd suggested with Makime-sama, and what I would run by you, is this: mutual access to coastal and riverine ports."
Otomo Gusai