D4EE Sumai Observation

Akodo Kawauso

Re: D4EE Sumai Observation

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Hantei Genji wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:16 am
Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:34 pm

That seeming like a safe question, Kawauso relaxes and answers with a smile. "The river people have always been self sufficient. Hunting and fishing, spear and net... Woodcarving, for spears or boats. And our fighting styles are definitely influenced by the river, both in melee and ranged. Spears being perhaps the best weapon for both." There's a pause as she realizes something. "I, um, guess spears are very important to me," she says with a smile. After another pause, she realizes what she'd said, and with red cheeks tries to hide behind the cup of water she's now holding with both hands and a death grip in front of her face.
"A warrior's weapon should always take center stage, that is quite a wise attitude." He smiled fondly. "As you can see, my unarmed skills are lacking, and I am sure my spear skills do not match yours. I was raised on the sword, mainly, and that is where I am most comfortable, really. Besides the spear, and jiujitsu, do you practice any other fighting styles?" He turned his head towards back the bouts for now.
Kawauso exhales a silent thanks to the river spirits for Genji's serenity. Oh my spirits, she thought, such a kind heart.

"I, um, am modestly trained in Kenjutsu, Hantei-sama, though not for lack of trying on my instructors' parts. I am... not always a good student," she admits genuinely. "Especially when, um, I think the way of the river people is as good or better," she adds quietly, probably over-sharing but comfortable enough here to explain herself.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:40 am
Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:35 am
"Yes, I don't think you need hands to fight." Sasori shrugged. "Have you seen roosters fighting?"
"I've known cocks to fight, yes," Gusai replies. "It's been...interesting. But I didn't know it was an interest of yours."
Yoshitsune Chizu approached Gusai as the fights were winding down.

"Please pardon me, minna-sama," the Crab woman said with a bow. She looked rather agitated. "I'm very sorry to interrupt, but if you have a moment, I had something I wanted to bring up to Otomo-sama about how the wrestling was conducted."
Crab Clan ❖ Bushi ❖ Large ❖ Benten's Blessing
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 2.0 ❖ Exceptional Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, fan. in battle: heavy armor, tetsubo

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:57 am

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Kinsen raises her hand at the level of her eyes and swirls her fingers in a wave pattern to show Kyosei the bright green glinting against the light. "Doesn't it look lovely?"
"As it did before. And possibly of as much use." He leans slightly closer as the crowd roars at a match's turning point. "Trouble may be coming, and it may be related to the events from the South."
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 2 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 am

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Kawauso exhales a silent thanks to the river spirits for Genji's serenity. Oh my spirits, she thought, such a kind heart.

"I, um, am modestly trained in Kenjutsu, Hantei-sama, though not for lack of trying on my instructors' parts. I am... not always a good student," she admits genuinely. "Especially when, um, I think the way of the river people is as good or better," she adds quietly, probably over-sharing but comfortable enough here to explain herself.
"Oh? Well, stubborn determination is an important trait in a warrior." He let out a small laugh. "Though I think my sensei would have thought of it a different way. Still, he got me to where I am now, so I am forever thankful for that. Perhaps, we could also do an exchange of skills one day? You teach me some yarijutsu, I teach you some kenjutsu? See maybe if different teachers help in the matter?"
Son of the Stag * Idealistic Prodigy * Blessed and Cursed
Carries: Daisho, other stuff

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:47 pm

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:57 am
"As it did before. And possibly of as much use." He leans slightly closer as the crowd roars at a match's turning point. "Trouble may be coming, and it may be related to the events from the South."
Kinsen blinks a bit and then leans closer to talk in a lower tone of voice, "So-desuka?"

She takes a deep breath and nods, asking, "Any details?"
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Yoshitsune Chizu wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:25 pm
Otomo Gusai wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:40 am
Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:35 am
"Yes, I don't think you need hands to fight." Sasori shrugged. "Have you seen roosters fighting?"
"I've known cocks to fight, yes," Gusai replies. "It's been...interesting. But I didn't know it was an interest of yours."
Yoshitsune Chizu approached Gusai as the fights were winding down.

"Please pardon me, minna-sama," the Crab woman said with a bow. She looked rather agitated. "I'm very sorry to interrupt, but if you have a moment, I had something I wanted to bring up to Otomo-sama about how the wrestling was conducted."
Gusai nods to Sasori and bows to Chizu.

"Of course. What seems to be the trouble?"
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Sasori knows when her company is unwarranted. "I was just leaving Crab sama..." She stood up and gave the woman a bow. "Oh... Crab sama... I found our fishing teacher." She looked at the Otomo and gave him a playful wink. "See you tomorrow Otomo sama." Her fan in hand as she makes her

/exit unless stopped
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Hantei Genji wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 am

"Oh? Well, stubborn determination is an important trait in a warrior." He let out a small laugh. "Though I think my sensei would have thought of it a different way. Still, he got me to where I am now, so I am forever thankful for that. Perhaps, we could also do an exchange of skills one day? You teach me some yarijutsu, I teach you some kenjutsu? See maybe if different teachers help in the matter?"
"Ye-yes, Hantei-sama," she says excitedly. "I'd be happy to help you handle--" This time, Kawauso catches herself before her words get away. "I would be very honored to share such training," she says with greater composure. "Perhaps after today's exertion, we take a day of rest before our training," she suggests with a wide smile.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:27 pm
Sasori knows when her company is unwarranted. "I was just leaving Crab sama..." She stood up and gave the woman a bow. "Oh... Crab sama... I found our fishing teacher." She looked at the Otomo and gave him a playful wink. "See you tomorrow Otomo sama." Her fan in hand as she makes her

/exit unless stopped
Gusai returns the bow. "I shall look forward to it," he says--as he awaits Chizu's reply.
Otomo Gusai

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:32 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:04 pm
Gusai nods to Sasori and bows to Chizu.

"Of course. What seems to be the trouble?"
“One of the Lion competitors has been striking her opponents with closed fists,” Chizu reported, her voice serious but even in tone. “This is, of course, forbidden in sumo. As event organizer, I was hoping you might be able to handle this matter?”

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Yoshitsune Chizu wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:32 pm
“One of the Lion competitors has been striking her opponents with closed fists,” Chizu reported, her voice serious but even in tone. “This is, of course, forbidden in sumo. As event organizer, I was hoping you might be able to handle this matter?”
"Of course," he replies. "You will excuse me a moment while I review the scorecards?"

And he does so, conferring briefly with the officials at the table.

(Awaiting PM stuff.)
Otomo Gusai

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:15 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm
"Of course," he replies. "You will excuse me a moment while I review the scorecards?"

And he does so, conferring briefly with the officials at the table.
The big Crab bowed in acknowledgement. "Thank you for your attention, Otomo-sama."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:57 am

Yoshitsune Chizu wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:15 pm
The big Crab bowed in acknowledgement. "Thank you for your attention, Otomo-sama."
After a bit, Gusai returns to Chizu, and he bows deeply.

"My apologies, Yoshitsune-san," he says. "While your objection is noted and recorded, the judges have evidently agreed to allow the technique. It isn't as I'd have it, but I agreed to abide by their decisions no less than the competitors."

He bows deeply again.

"Damned shame, really; I'd found your performance inspiring."
Otomo Gusai

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:00 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 pm

"Ye-yes, Hantei-sama," she says excitedly. "I'd be happy to help you handle--" This time, Kawauso catches herself before her words get away. "I would be very honored to share such training," she says with greater composure. "Perhaps after today's exertion, we take a day of rest before our training," she suggests with a wide smile.
"Sounds good Akodo-san. Let's meet the day after tomorrow. Would you prefer the riverside of the dojo?"

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Otomo Gusai wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:57 am
After a bit, Gusai returns to Chizu, and he bows deeply.

"My apologies, Yoshitsune-san," he says. "While your objection is noted and recorded, the judges have evidently agreed to allow the technique. It isn't as I'd have it, but I agreed to abide by their decisions no less than the competitors."

He bows deeply again.

"Damned shame, really; I'd found your performance inspiring."
“I see. How disappointing,” the Crab commented, her tone noticeably colder. “But surely Otomo-sama cannot wish to proclaim a cheater to have won the event you have personally sponsored. It could give people the wrong impression. Are you sure the judges could not be persuaded to uphold the proper traditions?”

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Hantei Genji wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:00 pm
Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 pm

"Sounds good Akodo-san. Let's meet the day after tomorrow. Would you prefer the riverside of the dojo?"
Although Kinsen cheered for Kawauso, she wasn't actually expecting the Lion to win. Honestly. She paid a lot of attention to the rules and points. A draw, in fact, was what Kinsen expected. Then, due technicality, that Chizu would win. It turned out the opposite.

With her plans ruined, the Lady of the Stag approaches her son and the winner with squinted eyes. She was, after all, waiting for the young girl to go to the podium, not just stare at her son.

"Ahem." She coughs, looking intensively to Kawauso.
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
TN to be recognized is 0

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:38 pm

Yoshitsune Chizu wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm
“I see. How disappointing,” the Crab commented, her tone noticeably colder. “But surely Otomo-sama cannot wish to proclaim a cheater to have won the event you have personally sponsored. It could give people the wrong impression. Are you sure the judges could not be persuaded to uphold the proper traditions?”
"For you," Gusai says, "I'll make the attempt. Please excuse me a moment."

He bows again, heading to the judges once more.

(Next reply after a while.)
Otomo Gusai

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:44 pm

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Although Kinsen cheered for Kawauso, she wasn't actually expecting the Lion to win. Honestly. She paid a lot of attention to the rules and points. A draw, in fact, was what Kinsen expected. Then, due technicality, that Chizu would win. It turned out the opposite.

With her plans ruined, the Lady of the Stag approaches her son and the winner with squinted eyes. She was, after all, waiting for the young girl to go to the podium, not just stare at her son.

The Lion, who'd frozen at what she assumed was a misunderstanding about the winner, melted under Kinsen's glare and rose to approach her.

"Ah, Hantei Kinsen-sama, how can I serve," she said nervously, head bowed low to the powerful woman.

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

"Ah, greetings Mother. Hopefully you are enjoying yourself?"

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:44 pm
The Lion, who'd frozen at what she assumed was a misunderstanding about the winner, melted under Kinsen's glare and rose to approach her.

"Ah, Hantei Kinsen-sama, how can I serve," she said nervously, head bowed low to the powerful woman.
Noticing that Gusai just left to recount with the judges, Kinsen takes a moment of silence where her eyes go from Kawauso to Genji, and back.
Hantei Genji wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:16 pm
-snip-
"Ah, greetings Mother. Hopefully you are enjoying yourself?"
"Un!" She nods positively, as a smile opens in her face after hearing her son's voice, "I have enjoyed it rather too much, in fact."

She takes a moment and turns to Kawauso, "I see that not only you're capable of calming bears, but you also have their strength and ferocity."

TN to be recognized is 0