[Day 1, Late Afternoon] Youth and Strength Always Lose to Old Age and Treachery (Open)

Jiyo Sora

[Day 1, Late Afternoon] Youth and Strength Always Lose to Old Age and Treachery (Open)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 am

He hated to do it, but...

The dojo was no place for his kids. Not yet. Oh, he'd taught them all a little bit of what he knew, but...

But I don't really want this for them.

He picked up his naginata, admiring the shape of it.

All those years ago, practicing with Wu, talking about the dagger-axe's drawbacks... and now that I have something like I was trying to develop back then, he's not here to spar against.

It was a shame. He'd liked Wu.

Of course, most of Togashi's followers are people I tend to like...

Sora went through a few basic forms. The naginata was so different from the dagger-axes he'd used as a younger man. Lighter. More graceful.

If it hadn't been a weapon, he would have called it pretty.

He was conscious of some of the guards watching him. And why not? He'd been with Shiba from just about the beginning, had fought creatures most of them had only heard of in stories, and he was still alive, with all of his limbs attached.

And I'm definitely older than most warriors manage to be, even in this brave new Empire of ours.

He'd been better once, of course. But one of the perks of peace was that now, when he traveled the Empire with the Ongaku, a fight for his life was a noteworthy event.

Still. I'm a sight better at this than quite a few of you young pups.
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Reiko Machiko

Re: [Day 1, Late Afternoon] Youth and Strength Always Lose to Old Age and Treachery (Open)

Post by Reiko Machiko » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:43 am

It seemed at some point Sora had gained an audience that wasn't just a guard. Machiko had continued her tour of the place, and heard noises from this part. A dojo of some sort it seemed?

She had peered in and saw a familiar face.

Oh damn he isn't dead yet?

She slipped in, and leant on a wall watching. Arms crossed. She didn't care for combat, but it was interesting to watch the old man swing around a weapon made from a tree likely younger than he was. Sora was like 90 after all. she remained wordless, not wanting to interrupt the old man in case he hurt something.
Spider Clan * Crafter * Librarian * Smart * Diplomat? * Medic? * Can be nice, doesn't want to * Profile
Carries: Daisho, Chopsticks, parchment and charcoal, Medicine kit (sometimes)

Jiyo Sora

Re: [Day 1, Late Afternoon] Youth and Strength Always Lose to Old Age and Treachery (Open)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:45 am

Aha, something new has been added... Ah. Yes.

Machiko-chan.

"See anything falling off yet, Reiko-san, or does everything seem to be holding together from over there?"
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Reiko Machiko

Post by Reiko Machiko » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:57 am

"Everything seems to be attached at least. I'm no expect on forms, but yours seems to be about a hundred years out of date."

There was a smirk.

"At least you're still alive though. Means there's at least one person here I can say isn't boring. Want to keep going and swinging your fancy shaped branch around? I can keep quiet."
Spider Clan * Crafter * Librarian * Smart * Diplomat? * Medic? * Can be nice, doesn't want to * Profile

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:02 am

"Oh, you know how we ancients are. Always talking, whatever else we're doing..."

He grinned.

"And as one librarian to another, you really ought to give the martial arts a try... just the thing for someone who's not treating the scrolls with the proper respect."

Current Theme

Reiko Machiko

Post by Reiko Machiko » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:12 am

"Reo basically insisted I learnt the basics of those new fancy swords being thrown out all over the place, so I know how to use a weapon well enough. Does that count?" Machiko shrugged, pushing off the wall "that big branch however? No idea, looks weighty. I always thought you'd be the type to hit people with the whole tree, not the branches."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:23 am

"Oh, this little thing? It's a willow switch compared to the weapon I used to carry... you should give it a try. A bit more reach is always good for keeping the blood off of your own face..."

Current Theme

Reiko Machiko

Post by Reiko Machiko » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:34 am

"Hmph. Fine, show me what I need to do with it" Machiko said with a shrug as she walked over "can't be that difficult. Oh and apparently Reiko wishes you well. I was pretty sure you'd not be around but she had that smile that said she knew something, so I'll stop doubting her one day. Maybe."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:53 am

"Just remember that the Mother of the Spider knew of Hisomu's plight when literally nobody else did. Safe to say she knows a lot of things. All right, have you ever seen a naginata before?"

Current Theme

Reiko Machiko

Post by Reiko Machiko » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:55 am

"Oh, maybe she wished you luck actually. Can't really remember" Machiko shook her head "nope. Well, read about them, never seen on in the flesh. Top heavy weapon that requires holding from a specific angle point?"

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm

"Machiko-chan!" Susumu pants, out of breath and he rounds the corner. "We were troubleshooting your responses for the party tonight. We hadn't gotten finished with "Why spiking is refreshments with shoju is bad, even if it is hilarious". Ah! Jiyo-sama!"

Susumu bows to the older member of the Imperial family. "My apologies for interrupting you"
Spider | Bushi...and Courtier? Nani?!? | "Representative" of the Brood (Ninube and Reo's kids) | Surprisingly high ranked
Carries: Daisho, Yumi, Sturdy Clothing, Light Armor, Straw Cloak

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 pm

"Reiko-san, the naginata is much lighter and better-balanced than many such weapons. Have you ever used a staff, like some of the monks seem fond of?"

At Susumu's approach, Sora... smiled.

"No interruption. Although I must say, I think Reiko-san knows how to throw a party to my tastes..."

Current Theme

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:09 pm

"They are certainly memorable. And...to be frank more enjoyable, to be honest." Susumu coughs, attempting to regain his composure. "I admit that I didn't expect that response from the one who codified the Imperial legal code Sora-sama. I am sure sharing that practice between our archives would prove popular, if leading to, let's call it "improvisational" transcriptions"
Spider | Bushi...and Courtier? Nani?!? | "Representative" of the Brood (Ninube and Reo's kids) | Surprisingly high ranked

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 pm

"Oh, no, no, that was Jiyo-sama who wrote the code. I'm just the guy who makes sure you all have a copy of it and a library to put it in."

He chuckled.

"Of course, your Clan needs little encouragement to stay current on factual information, which I appreciate."

Current Theme

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 pm

"You are too kind Jiyo-sama, and are too modest on your own behalf" Susumu replies warmly. "You kindly provide detailed descriptions of how the Empire is designed to function. It's natural that we would be vigorous in ensuring that we would be up to date."

Susumu eyes the weapon in the man's hands.

I wasn't kidding that he can probably kick my ass Machiko

"Machiko-san has probably gone through the scrolls more times than I can count." He studies her with a side eye. "I'm happy to see you both getting on so well"

A bit surprised too but I am not complaining

Reiko Machiko

Post by Reiko Machiko » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm

Hisomu Susumu wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm
"Machiko-chan!" Susumu pants, out of breath and he rounds the corner. "We were troubleshooting your responses for the party tonight. We hadn't gotten finished with "Why spiking is refreshments with shoju is bad, even if it is hilarious". Ah! Jiyo-sama!"

Susumu bows to the older member of the Imperial family. "My apologies for interrupting you"
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 pm
"Reiko-san, the naginata is much lighter and better-balanced than many such weapons. Have you ever used a staff, like some of the monks seem fond of?"

At Susumu's approach, Sora... smiled.

"No interruption. Although I must say, I think Reiko-san knows how to throw a party to my tastes..."
Machiko managed to resist rolling her eyes, giving Sora a smirk as she accepted the weapon and a small wink while her back was turned from Susumu.

"Susu-kun can be my practice dummy for interrupting, ne? I'm a novice, it's not like it'll hurt that much" she turned around to face Susumu "so what's the best way to behead someone?"

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Reiko Machiko wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm
Machiko managed to resist rolling her eyes, giving Sora a smirk as she accepted the weapon and a small wink while her back was turned from Susumu.

"Susu-kun can be my practice dummy for interrupting, ne? I'm a novice, it's not like it'll hurt that much" she turned around to face Susumu "so what's the best way to behead someone?"
"At a distance, it makes a hell of a mess. Of course, with the leverage a naginata offers, it takes less brute force than some other methods, but you need to place the blade just right..."

He was joking. Surely.

Current Theme

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:06 pm

"Really, I heard the best way to cut the throat first so that the spray from the neck has a chance to spout. It's quick and painless and then you can remove the head. " Susumu reaches for the hilt of his sword, as if to reassure himself that it's still there. "Matsu-sempai does like polearms as well"

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 pm

"Eh, chopping heads off outright is pretty quick if you have the knack, although I admit I always found it a bit showy."

Current Theme