Sharing is Caring (D7LM)

Doji Hikaru

Sharing is Caring (D7LM)

Post by Doji Hikaru » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:18 pm

(Satsuki's room, closed)

It has been a strange night, ever since the play. But so much of what had happened pushed Hikaru to this door this morning.

He'd gotten enough sleep so that the worry lines on his face were standing out no more than usual. He'd bathed and shaved. His hair was more loose than usual, hanging about his shoulders. And, very importantly, he carried his tea materials, as well as a kettle.

Taking a deep breath, he reached out to tap gently at the door.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Togashi Satsuki

Re: Sharing is Caring (D7LM)

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:25 pm

"Please come in," was the familiar voice of Satsuki, sounding a bit less upbeat than usual in her voice

She'd had the chance to wash and groom herself for this meeting, and dressed herself in the pale yellow robes with bird-motifs on them. Her hair had been brushed and was mostly hanging loose except for a few braids intermingled with the rest of her white hair.

Still, she looked tired. The aura around her wasn't any dimmer, but she still seemed... weary.

As Hikaru entered, she was sitting by the window of the room, its shutters slightly open to let her see outside. In her hands, she was holding some papers with notes on them. On the table beside her, there was tea and some rice-cakes, along with a letter in what would be a familiar writing to Hikaru no doubt.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:51 pm

Hikaru slid the door open, stepping in. He paused a moment spotting Satsuki, lips pressing together as he slid the door closed. Another reminder that no matter how rough a night he'd had, hers had been worse. All too familiar.

Still, he managed one of his gentle smiles. "Good morning, Togashi-sama. I wanted to... share some tea with you." Check on her. "Would you enjoy that?"

He held up the kettle by way of demonstration, even as his eyes drifted to the letter. Pale eyes softened, his gaze drifting back to Satsuki.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:58 pm

She smiled a little. "Good morning, Hikaru-san... I... yeah, that sounds nice. Tea is better shared, I've been told."

Putting away her notes, Satsuki smoothed the fabrics of her skirt, and moved over to the table to sit, gesturing for him to join her. Briefly, those intense green eyes looked over him, a hint of worry to them. "... You weren't hurt last night, I hope?"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:10 am

"It is." Hikaru said softly. "As with many things. But there is something about sharing tea..." He considered a moment, then smiled. "Let me show you."

He sat down, laying out the tea accoutrements. The kettle had cooled in the walk from his room, but that was perfect for the mild green he'd selected. He filled the little teapot, carefully washing the cups.

"I was not." Hikaru said. Indeed, he didn't look hurt. He did look concerned, especially as his eyes met hers. "Are you alright, Satsuki-sama?" He asked gently.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 am

Pushing aside the letter on the table to join the other papers, Satsuki put her elbows on the table so that she could closely watch Hikaru prepare the tea... and the utensils that went with preparing tea. Oh, this had to be the tea ceremony!

"... I'm fine. Shaken, but I'm fine," she smiled a bit weakly as she nodded. Trying to be reassuring. "I... just wish it would've helped more? I'm still piecing together the events of last night, with everything else we've uncovered so far."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:24 am

Slowly, Hikaru nodded. "Good." He breathed. "That was harder to watch than I expected. I was..." he paused a moment, "-quite concerned."

His gaze lingered on her a moment before pouring the tea. Hikaru frowned at the pale color; it seemed like it was slightly too cold. Well... warm leaf juice would have to do.

"How much it helped remains to be seen." Hikaru said. "But we undoubtedly know more. There is something in Lady Doji's mind, or unconscious, or dreams. It is a prisoner. She is keeping it from getting out." He paused, offering her a cup with both hands. "It is more than I had yet."

D7LM tea: 4d10o10k3 14 - booo

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:44 am

Satsuki didn't mind that the tea was warm instead of hot. The effort was still appriciated.

"I'm... sorry I made you concerned. But, dreams... it seems to be all coming back to dreams, yes. I will have to ask Yatsufusa to look into that more closely. He's a spiritwalker, like mother, so he might learn more if he looks into the Realm of Dreams."

There was a brief sigh, and a glance to her papers. "I feel foolish for not seeing the connection before. Strange dreams for my father, you describing Lady Doji as sleepwalking. I... don't know why I didn't see it before. But Yume-do for sure is where the answers must be."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:51 am

Hikaru shook his head at her apology. "No. Thank you. That was very brave." He said.

Taking a sip of the tea, Hikaru grimaced gently. "Sometimes the whole picture must be seen before it can be understood. Yume-do..." He took a deep breath. "After a year of searching, it is good to have that."

"And an enemy..." Hikaru frowned. "Have you any idea what that could be? Something trapped..." He waved a hand vaguely.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:31 am

"... I... thank you. I didn't think it was very brave, but... thank you," she murmured a bit shyly, as it was the first time she was being complimented on being brave like that. It was different to be told by your parents when you were young that you were 'brave' when you did things that seemed a little bit scary as a child.

"I'm not sure. I... suspect it could be Jigoku, or something related to it, because it is a jealous realm, and it's entry into Ningen-do was sealed off when uncle Hisomu was rescued. And others have been having strange dreams and visions too, of dark ooze and ichor. I'm not sure, but from what I know of the realms, it's possible for them to reach into others, and Yume-do is one that is in a way the most accessible one to many. For us humans, we visit it every night when we sleep after all. And Jigoku is the most evil and malevolent one out there."

She pressed her lips together in thought. "If anyone could hold it back for so long, it would be a Kami... just as uncle Hisomu did."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:20 am

"It was." Hikaru said simply, looking at her. "And your first thought was of others." A few words seemed as good to Hikaru as many on the subject; he was stating the way things were.

As Satsuki spoke, Hikaru took another sip of tea, as much to ward of the chill as anything else. "I have always admired Lady Doji. I didn't realize she was containing some sort of monstrosity." Hikaru's brow creased thoughtfully. Had he somehow underestimated his Lady?

Shaking his head gently, he refocused on Satsuki. "What comes next, do you think?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:41 am

"I don't think anyone expected it. That might have been to our enemy's advantage." It was perhaps a bit sad that they had so easily written it off as Doji being just a victim. But no, her aunt was strong too, not to be underestimated just because she was gentler than her siblings.

"First I believe we must speak with the Emperor. Then, Yume-do must be investigated."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Hikaru gave a firm nod. "Yes. The Emperor does need an update. If Doji is holding back some evil on the strength of her will, she needs what assistance the Empire can give." He took a breath. "And the threat needs to be known." In case she succumbs. Hikaru couldn't bring himself to say it, but his shoulders grew visibly tense, his hands tightening around his teacup.

After a moment, he sighed. "Yume-do... it is strange to think that, after a year, my quest may be coming to an end. Or at least my part in it." Pensively, Hikaru frowned down into his teacup.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:28 pm

"And yet, you're the one responsible for coming this far, seeking the advice of so many and never giving up. This... is certainly a work that had many hands in play, and all should be acknowledged for it in the end, when we succeed. But it couldn't be done without you."

Her smile was a bit distant but sincere as she looked at Hikaru. "My aunt has a most amazing retainer in her service."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:47 pm

"Thank you." Hikaru said, his gaze flickering up, then dropping back down to his teacup. "That means a great deal to me, in part because I know that when you speak, you speak with absolute sincerity. And I could not have done it without you, either."

He was silent a few moments longer, seemingly studying his teacup, that crease in his forehead visible again. The distance in that smile, her sudden departure after the play...

Finally, his gaze flickered back up. "Have you had a chance to visit the garden yet today, Satsuki-sama?" He asked, looking at her significantly. Have you read my latest poem was the subtext, of course, but actually saying that meant drawing closer to a line that could not be uncrossed once crossed.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:13 pm

"I don't see the point in pretending niceties like some do." There was a wryness to her smile, as if she very much spoke of someone specific.

At his question she looked down into her teacup, feeling a little bashful. "No... not today... I did take a short walk there last night, before... going to the temple. But not yet today no. Apart from not getting much rest, people have been at my door since the break of dawn... visitors, and letters." Her nose wrinkled a little bit as she made a face.

"Your princess isn't very happy with me after last night."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:38 pm

"Oh." Hikaru said softly. He paused a moment. "I visited there late last night." He took a breath, paused, and his lips pressed together. Not yet.

The comment and face both made Hikaru smile. "Is that so? In fact, I think she's not happy with me, either." He gave her a nod. "May I ask what she said?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:56 pm

"She's being overly dramatic is what it is," Satsuki couldn't quite keep herself from rolling her eyes with a sigh.

"In my cousin's eyes, there is no other opinion or view that is correct except her own and that of those who are of use to her. I believe she was unnescessarily cruel to one who was hurt, but even if I tell her that she won't accept it." Reaching for the letter, she passed it to Hikaru to read.

"My own reply is already ready, if you wish to bring it to her. But I don't see why she would be cross with you?"
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:10 pm

Hikaru smiled at that, although it quickly faded as he read the letter. It ended with him pressing his lips tightly together. Finished, he set it back on the table with a sigh.

"She feels that I was too indiscrete in how I handled my quest. Especially in going to the Emperor." He shook his head gently. "Family is very important to her. But that means her Crane family first. I think she sometimes sees it as us against the rest. Or perhaps just them." Yes, if he was on the outside...

He spread the fingers of one hand. "I can take it to her. I assure you, this won't change anything with... " he paused a moment, "-me."

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 pm

"Too indiscreet?" Satsuki looked positively flabbergasted. "What were you supposed to do? Murmur it to him in some vague poetry? He deserves to know! Auntie Doji might be my cousin's mother, but she was his sister first!"

The Dragon actually seemed upset about this, and a dark thought crossed her mind. No... her cousin might be a petty elitist with her head stuck up her arse, but she couldn't possibly want her own mother to waste away. No child could wish for that, right?

"... I love all my family, even if they're difficult. Very very difficult." She sighed in an effort to calm herself. "I'm giving my cousin the benefit of the doubt that she didn't intentionally mean to lash out so cruelly to one who was very clearly hurt and upset. I just... I suppose I expected her to diffuse the confrontation with courtesy and compassion, like I know my mother would've done - and from how my mother talks of Lady Doji I think she would've done the same too. I just know my mother would've been very disappointed with me if I let Matsu stand there alone and hurt."

This time she fidgeted with her braid instead of her sleeves. "She must be having a hard time. With what her mother is going through. So I will keep that in mind to not be too harsh on her."
Theme | Profile