[D6 LE, Scorpion Zone] Of Etiquette, Or Not

Bayushi Kogi

Re: [D6 LE, Scorpion Zone] Of Etiquette, Or Not

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:36 pm

“I think… your approach is wise, Makime-sama,” Kogi says, a bit cautiously. “No one should wish to become the craftsman in that story, falling into folly because his only tool was a hammer and he only knew one way to use it.”
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:41 am

"An eloquent way of putting it." Ayano replied, "But such things are centuries from now at any rate. Best to focus on the small steps to bind us all together and benefit everyone."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:02 am

"I agree entirely." Kogi nods, her voice warm. "Turning a hundred tribes into one Empire is a difficult enough project without inventing so many new distinctions and divisions. Decay happens on its own; construction takes work."
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:53 pm

"Hard work, Bayushi-san," Ayano agrees, " But worth doing I think. The road for me isn't just a boost to commerce and movement, but a permanent monument to what the Empire can accomplish. Every time someone walks it or even sees it, I hope some part of them remembers that it was their forbearers who built it and the forbearers of the other clans. Remember and be inspired to build even greater."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:30 am

"The road?" Kogi tilts her head, curious. "I think I heard something about that--a project you want to build?" Something that would be Ayano's and not the senior Makime's? she wonders to herself. "The land your family holds from Lord Akodo--is it a promising territory for road building?"
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:10 pm

"Ah...not me per say, but a project I proposed." Ayano smiled sheepishly, "I was surprised at the support it has received...but then again grand ideas are easy to support, when the costs are tallied is when we see how true those words were."

She brushes her kimono, "Essentially...it is an effort to rapidly join the growing centers of importance in all the clan's lands. Some of the clans have already begun work for their own provinces, so some of the work is just redirecting and expanding parts of existing networks. Once it is laid then hopefully the rest of a clan's lands will be connected with their own individual projects."

"As for my own clan's lands...well yes we are almost assuredly going to be a hub for any major road networks, seeing as we touch more clans then any other. Very near all of them save your own and the Stag." She chuckled softly, "But the project itself would be a benefit to everyone and a lot of trade was destined to flow through our lands regardless of a main Imperial roadway."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:27 pm

"That is very logical," Kogi agrees. "Roads and canals are an important concern for my lord Bayushi and our clan at the moment. For us, the problems to solve are mountains and rivers--paths into the remote parts of the mountains, which are hard to keep open in winter, and bridges and shipping on the River of Gold, which is... unpredictable in the summer wet season."
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 pm

"And your trouble with the mountains are only going to be magnified a hundred fold when one looks to the Crab and Dragon." Ayano frowns in thought, "...I am hoping the Crab may already have some techniques to help with this. Even then one can not unfreeze a pass or reverse a rock slide with the snap of a finger."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:38 am

"No," Kogi agrees with a sigh. "Even the Kami can't re-shape the earth and the seasons. Or won't."

Noticing the tea in both cups--her own and Ayano's--is almost gone, she busies her hands adding fresh water from the steaming kettle to the teapot for a second steep.

"The Crab... the old southern tribes, that is, learned their building arts in the south, where it snows little. Now that we are seriously studying how to manage the great river, though, their knowledge might be helpful. A river is even better than a road for moving trade." A faint, rueful snort from behind the veil, and she adds, "When it isn't washing your boats away."
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 pm

"I imagine it is worse in the spring as the snows melt and feed the river?" Ayano watches the work to refresh their tea cups, "A pity that it could not be better controlled. Some way to siphon off some of the excess water." She shrugs, "Too complicated for now."

"Still one could probably work out when to expect the increasing deluge from the mountains. And that would help some."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:14 am

"The old river valley tribes know the ins and outs of the floods as well as anyone can. Knowing only helps so much. Now, stone bridges, dikes and channels... my lord has some idea of how it ought to be done, but he can't build every piece with his own hands." Kogi chuckles wryly. "Skilled people and time are the most limited resources. Stone and wood we have, but moving them takes time too." She opens one narrow-fingered hand palm up. "Makime-sama is probably all too aware of these problems."
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:52 pm

"All to aware." Ayano looks down at her cup of tea, "People often forgot how hard it is to just get things where they need to be. A lot of the most essential items can be made in a village but for more complicated projects."

"One of my hopes is the efforts of building the road will teach the clans collectively how to manage large projects. I expect mean hurdles, and a lot I can't even begin to guess. But overcoming them will be the best way to learn what works and what does not."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:35 am

"A vision worthy of a daimyo." Kogi nods. "Or a future one. My lord and his vassal Lady Miyako are the same way, thinking in generations."
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Ayano smiled at that, "Those lords and ladies of others have a responsibility. It is not just a matter of exercising power for one's whims. I disagree with my mother on a few things but...we both understand that our lives will ultimately be for Lord Akodo and the people we are trusted with leading. A heavy burden to bare."