In the Den of a Lioness (LE D3)

Makime Ayano

Re: In the Den of a Lioness (LE D3)

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:49 pm

Ayano rested her head on a propped up arm. "Then why are you worried about marriage? Does your father desire grandchildren?"

Her smile turned coy.
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm

The taller Lion shows no reaction to Ayano's posture or smile. "Makime-sama," she says, business-like. "You are... often... better informed than me about... things." Kawauso clearly doesn't love having to ask her fellow student for help like this.

"I'm just... trying to understand something. And you clearly do. So, you know, just tell me. About marriage. I mean, I know what happens," she says, "but... Why do certain people end up together? I mean, my parents... Well. Never mind. But really, if it's... like something my father is supposed to be..." She starts to look nervous. "Like, what do I do if he isn't doing anything?" she finally blurts, showing real worry but not full-on distress yet.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:09 pm

Her smile remained, "That depends on you and your family. There is a ceremony, there is a change in living conditions, there is probably a change of habits. And of course you would be expected to provide children, which depending on who you marry might involve a third party."

"I give you the example of my family. You know as well as I do that Lady Makime is a harsh taskmaster, one who plans and analyses everything. My marriage will almost assuredly be one such thing. Maybe your father will just leave it to Benten when it comes to your marriage. But again I must ask...why this now? What has changed?"
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:18 am

Kawauso looks again like she's unhappily confiding in Ayano.

"This is not a thing my father ever discusses, unless it's the rare mention of my brother needing to marry. I... have never heard him talk about a marriage for me, even in... theory." She looks around unhappily. "Around here, marriages are talked about as often as a person's tea preference. And for important people -- heirs, like you -- I do understand it more. And there are certainly people here to a attract the eye. But is..." She seems about to flash her temper, but resists. "It seems like a duty, and I can't ignore that," Kawauso says with a stern tone.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:58 pm

"Perhaps because he considers it a personal matter for you?" Ayano studied the Otter's state, "This really does have you flustered. So then...someone has caught your interest then. If so, are you trying to ask for my help in your love life?"

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:16 am

The Lion from the river leaves distressed asks enters bewilderment.

"Makime-sama, there's no... I mean, I don't have a love life. I mean, maybe I have a like life, but that's not..." After not really succeeding at reframing the subject, Kawauso quietly asks, "If I were asking for help, what would you say?"

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:29 am

Ayano sighs, "What do you want me to say?" She is frowning now, "Marriage for me is just something that will happen. Mother will find someone who advances the goals of the family, that is to say her goals, and that will be that. So I don't honestly care that much to think about it at all. For me its just one more thing I have very little control over."

"Seems to me you have been afforded a chance to find your own path. Maybe talk to someone for whom marriage is something they look forward to."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:52 am

Kawauso nods and smiles a genuine smile.

"That's good advice, Makime-sama," she says warmly. "And perhaps your honored mother would take some input, if you present it as making the, um, efficiency or, uh, productivity so much greater." The country girl smiles, having used some of Lady Makime's favorite words correctly and missed how they could be heard as innuendo. "A, um, supportive spouse could make you an even better logist-... um, quarterm-... Well, able to do more stuff and do it faster!" Kawauso ends on an optimistic note, knowing Ayano will know the right words for her mother.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:41 pm

Ayano's frown remained, "...perhaps she will, and perhaps I will be named the Fortune of Fortitude. Mother values my input in the very narrow field of skills I possess."

She closes her eyes and her expression softens, "Really what brought this on? You barge into my room speaking of marriage for no reason? What motivated this sudden interest? You said you have a like life...a like life that makes you think of marriage."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 am

Kawauso's voice picks up a tinge of annoyance, as she feels like Ayano isn't listening.

"There were two samurai at last night's ball who were more than generous with the time they spent talking to me -- even ignoring Bayushi Sasori-san when she was right there -- and... Well, with everyone around here talking about marriage, I thought maybe I should too." She doesn't end with a shout, although her voice has elevated. She immediately purses her lips, realizing the flash of temper isn't helping anything.

"I'm very sorry, Makime-sama. I, um... I have troubled you too much with this topic." The Akodo bows her head, but makes no other move.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:25 am

"It's alright, but...this is something a bit more personal and frankly if I am married to a person I can tolerate I will consider it a blessing." Ayano finally smiled though it was weary, "Go find one of those who married the great loves of their life and hear their tales, maybe it will inspire you."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:28 am

The Akodo takes a heavy breath, and when she looks up at Ayano she seems distressed. She forces a smile and says, "Yes, Makime-sama, I should do that." She sniffs, certainly not because she's holding something back, and nods her head several times as she rises. "I, um, do hope some impact can be had on Lady Makime. My, um... Well. I could tell her about an example. Of how, um, inefficient things become. Without a good spouse."

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:47 pm

"...you were always so blunt a woman," Ayano sighed again, "I guess this really does have you worked up. Just say what you want to say without all this dancing around."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:08 am

"No, thank you, Makime-sama. It's all right. Just, um, some complicated... traditions... around marriage, among my people." She starts to turn to go, then catches herself.

"Um, I'm sorry, Makime-sama. One other item, if I may. A request." She composes herself and takes a breath before beginning.

"It would be most appreciated, when the matter comes to court, if you would consider speaking in support of a proposal from the Ki-rin, that I'll be supporting in my father's name, to increase trade and joint security efforts of the Great Western River. If we can jointly secure the river against raiders, the potential trade increase could be significant."

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:05 pm

"Of course, beyond such things serving the Lion ultimately, the rivers are a valuable link that can enhance and be enhanced by the road project." Ayano relaxed, the topic was one more to her liking. "And any experiences we gain from working with another clan can be used for future endeavors. Both the Lion's and the Empire's."

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:37 am

"Of course. Thank you, Makime Ayano-sama," the Akodo says formally as she bows. When she straightens, she has a happy smile on her face, even though her eyes still sparkle with some secret she couldn't quite convince herself to share. Still, given the women's differences, a genuinely warm smile is quite an accomplishment for late in the evening.

After a pointed moment of the smile, she seems ready to leave.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 pm

"Please inform me of when you wish to present your proposal. I will let show my support but leave the talking to you and the Ki-Rin you mean to present with." Makime's smile grew gentile, "It is you two who deserve the credit...though I suppose I will take some of the blame if it goes that route. Not that I foresee that happening, protecting trade and the rivers is a hard idea to argue against."