Daikoku, Daikoku, Daikoku! (D5 LM Open)

Makime Ayano

Daikoku, Daikoku, Daikoku! (D5 LM Open)

Post by Makime Ayano » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm

It had resolved itself into a ritual, every morning in the hour before court one could find a young Lioness at the temple. As always Ayano gave proper reverence to the other Fortunes but much of her time was spent in the presence of the shrine to Daikoku. After lingering in the shrine for sometime, surprisingly doing little praying...at least in the traditional sense, she would exit to the front of the temple.

The routine was always a bright spot on Ayano's day.

(OOC: Changing title, I very stupidly picked the name without bothering to check what it actually references. Which was inexcusable on my part and for those it may have offended I sincerely apologize.)
Last edited by Makime Ayano on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Jiyo Sora

Fukurokujin, Fukurokujin, Fukurokujin!

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:52 am

Sora paid the temple a call.

In point of fact, he'd found the Seven Fortunes deities he could get behind.

And he liked to think he was doing Fukurokujkin's work most days.

So, following a.... rather intense start to his day, he ducked in to pray in his usual accustomed fashion.

He made his rounds, although a curiously familiar feeling of warmth and contentment meant he stayed longer by Fukurokujin's altar than the others.

He would need all the help he could get, after all.

But when he wrapped up, he caught sight of the Lion.

"Ah. Makime-san. Does the day find you well?"
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Makime Ayano

Re: Daikoku, Daikoku, Daikoku! (D5 LM Open)

Post by Makime Ayano » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:10 pm

"Ah Jiyo-sama." Ayano dipped her head in a small bow, "I am doing well, and yourself?"

She smiled, "Seeking wisdom this morning?"
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:23 pm

"Ah, Makime-san, when you have had a life like mine, every morning after the age of about twenty-two is a good one, if only for the novelty..."

He chuckled.

"And every day is a search for wisdom. Often fruitless, in my case, but you work with what you have. Case in point, it occurs to me that I have been a bit remiss in one of the most basic duties of a host... I'm not even aware of what our Lion guests seek to achieve this winter."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:36 pm

"In a personal or larger sense?" Ayano asks, "I can speak only to my own for the former, for the later...Lord Akodo wishes to increase our maritime holdings and my mother wishes to see more organization in the Empire as a whole. Particularly in regards to issues that effect multiple clans, the road network for instance."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Sora nodded.

"Given Akodo-sama's marital arrangements, some species of maritime improvement makes sense. Have you spoken with Otomo Gusai-san of the Stag? I believe he has his share of seaborne concerns. As for more organization... that is an interesting subject, to say the least."

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:52 pm

"It is also a complicated subject, probably something more of a slow process." Ayano remarks, "Otomo Gusai-san?" She looks off to the side and then shakes her head, "No...I do not recall him. Only Hantei Kinsen-sama and Hantei Genji-sama."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:58 pm

"If you'd indulge an old man's meddling, I'd suggest a chat with Otomo-san. If nothing else, he would be able to talk in concrete terms about seagoing arrangements."

He nodded toward the shrine to Daikoku.

"And I believe he has interests which dovetail with those of your own favored Fortune."

And without Kinsen's apparent fever to become a grandmother, but he let that pass.

"The Spider and Crane also have some coastal holdings, but seeing how thoroughly Doji-san engaged you in conversation, I think that at least one of those is well in hand. But... coming back to this... complicated, slow process... has your mother considered simply sending the Emperor a letter with suggestions? After all, if he puts up with my input on various topics, I'm certain he'd give her a hearing."

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:08 am

"I am not sure how well you remember my mother..." Ayano's smile twitches slightly, "But she will not do so until it has been thoroughly and carefully worded and looked over. Lady Makime is loathe to start something without a good framework to build from." One could call it the Makime family's greatest strength and greatest weakness.

"I would not have suggested the roadway but...it seemed better to start some motions then just wait."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:14 am

"And the roadway is... perfect. Because it is a clear benefit to everyone in the Empire except perhaps bandits, and any social or cultural changes it brings about will be gradual, and vastly less alarming to those who might bridle at, sat, being told what Ki-Rin culinary customs are without having met anyone from the Ki-Rin. I would hope your mother could understand that such projects work best when everyone has a say in them- it slows things at the outset, but reduces friction down the line. I know the Ongaku would appreciate it."

He paused.

"Of course, such roads would also need to be patrolled, and the idea of pursuing fleeing bandits into the lands claimed by other Clans would need to be addressed. As a member of the Imperial Families, my kneejerk impulse is to suggest an Imperial office of some kind, but..."

He made a seesaw motion with his hand.

"I also believe that local knowledge is key, and sending someone who has never lived in, say, the Crab Lands to oversee their anti-banditry operations would not only be heavy-handed and insulting, it would also likely be less effective than trusting those who know the lands from living in them. Given this... dilemma, I am curious, Makime-san. What would you propose? Not what you think your mother would say, not what you think Lord Akodo would say. But based on your own initiative, what would you suggest?"

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:41 am

"On the matter of protecting the road network? It should be handled by a central authority, at least for the main roads that connect the clans. The smaller road networks managed by the clans themselves would of course be their own responsibility. Though I would hope any clan could see sense in implementing their own methods." Ayano frowned in thought, "I would deliberately choose an outsider, with local advisors, to make handle the road network. If you leave it to the locals then one community may well feel the other has wronged them in their handling of the bandits, the presence of an impartial outsider taking equal council from both would help eliminate that feeling of bias. The importance is that the situation is handled similarly across the Empire."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:46 am

"Are you acquainted with the legal code written by Jiyo-sama? I ask, because it already establishes the primacy of Imperial authority on inter-clan matters. which a system of Imperial roads would certainly entail. One slight issue with what you propose... let us say we send in an impartial outsider to be advised by locals. Who will select the advisers? Would not marginalized communities within a local sphere have grievances the outsider is unaware of?"

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 am

"That comes to the training of the outsider. They should be expected to not rely on any one particular advisor when matters involving multiple communities comes up." Ayano sighs, "But to leave the matter purely to those same locals would hardly be better, who might use the banditry as an excuse to settle their grievances."

Her smile finally returns, "I fear there will be no perfect answer, merely ones that are less terrible."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:04 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 am
Her smile finally returns, "I fear there will be no perfect answer, merely ones that are less terrible."
That... got a smile.

"I think, Makime-san, you know how to wield power intelligently. Try not to lose sight of that in anyone else's expectations of you. If you wish to write your idea up as a proposal, I would be happy to lend it my support, for whatever that's worth."

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:24 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:04 am
That... got a smile.

"I think, Makime-san, you know how to wield power intelligently. Try not to lose sight of that in anyone else's expectations of you. If you wish to write your idea up as a proposal, I would be happy to lend it my support, for whatever that's worth."
Ayano blinked at that, "I...had thought such things would be developing naturally as the road project moved forward. There will be a great many concerns beyond the protection of the road."

"Truthfully I had believed most of these problems best tackled by a cadre who could try to work through a solution. I agree with my Mother on this...it is better for a group of people, especially if each has some special insight into the problem, to tackle these large projects. Think of all the problems we might never consider because of our own limited views."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:28 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:24 am
Ayano blinked at that, "I...had thought such things would be developing naturally as the road project moved forward. There will be a great many concerns beyond the protection of the road."

"Truthfully I had believed most of these problems best tackled by a cadre who could try to work through a solution. I agree with my Mother on this...it is better for a group of people, especially if each has some special insight into the problem, to tackle these large projects. Think of all the problems we might never consider because of our own limited views."
"Nothing in an Empire with this many agendas develops naturally.Every project, every alliance, every adjustment to power is seen into being by interested initiative. A diversity of input is therefore something the reasonable might desire objectively... but quash if they don't like what others may bring to the table. Any time someone offers you their support or friendship, just remember... we all have our own agendas."

This was still about roads, and magistrates, right? Right?

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:57 am

"Oh...ah," Ayano smiled sheepishly, "I meant more these ancillary projects from the road proper. More...I suspect there will be a lot of challenges that will arise that will require solutions. And I believe some of these solutions will turn into more permanent establishments. Protecting the road as you brought up, but also who and how will it be maintained. Then of course all the natural obstacles that will need to be overcome, especially in the lands of the Dragon and Crab. I dare say the act of the roads creation will teach us much that could be turned over to the clans to help with their own roadways."

"Then...well I personally hope the benefits of the road and that the required coordination from all the clans will encourage more such projects."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:44 am

"Ah, and that is indeed the hope, but what of the cultural differences to be overcome? To be sure, they might be eroded over time, especially as the road system encourages greater communication between the clans but we already see a bit of a cultural clash developing. There are those who push for it, out of a desire to... frankly, so far as I can tell, a desire to inflict their way of doing things on all and sundry. There are those who push back, out of a desire to resist that same impulse, to preserve their identity, their ways which they have adopted for reasons."

He chuckled.

"It should come as no surprise whatsoever that I fall into the latter camp. Not even the Kami agree on all things in all ways- that's why we have Clans, after all. To allow each of them to develop things that suit their talents- and the inclinations of those who chose to follow them. To preserve that useful diversity you cite in describing your hopes."

A pause.

"So. Let us say that we're discussing these permanent establishments. Some social mechanism is created to govern rules for pursuit. Or simply for travel permission. And on one side, we have the Crane and the Stag, who firmly believe that everyone has a place in a rigid order they are born into. And on the other, you have the Spider, and the Dragon, who have... let us call it a different approach. How would you reconcile their differences in the name of cooperation?"

Current Theme

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:54 pm

"I suppose I must state my own clan's biases." Ayano rested her cheek on an open palm. "Which lie more toward Lord Akodo's brother Lord Hantei, though perhaps not as strictly."

"However, given the question...I believe this is why the authority who must mediate such things must be seen as impartial and make decisions based on what has gone before. It is impossible to please both views so it is more important to show consistency and a lack of bias. A clan may not like a decision but if they feel it was made fairly it will be much easier to convince them to abide by it."

She nodded, mostly to herself, "If the judging authority is seen to be favoring one side consistently or ruling in their favor against precedent...then such would need to be replaced immediately."

"Of course...there is always the chance that one side or both will deny the judgement. In which case unpleasant choices will need to be made." Ayano frowns, "Personally my hope is there will be some normalization among the clans while the bonds of family are still strong between them. If the philosophies governing each kami's land continues to fracture...then reconciliation may occur and it would not be a desirable future."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:25 pm

"So who do you see profiting from the fracture? Or to put it another way, where does the drift come from?"

Current Theme