[D4EM] Learning Or Wisdom

Doji Hikaru

[D4EM] Learning Or Wisdom

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:10 pm

(Expecting)

Meeting humble monks was, at least in one sense, no different than meeting Kami, or creating art, or practicing swordplay. To the limit of practicality, it was important to look your best. And so while Hikaru's kimono was practical, it was also very well made, and he spent the usual amount of time cleaning himself, shaving, and combing his hair before he went about his day.

He stepped into the temple, bowing respectfully, as was proper. His pale eyes swept the temple interior; clean, and somehow managing to be both grand and humble at once. Hikaru's Doji-trained eye approved.

Before going further in, though, he paused, taking a moment to brush aside his white lock of hair. He'd heard that Shinsei was "in the temple". And yet, Hikaru didn't feel comfortable wandering around. And so instead he waited, straightening, standing at some species of semi-relaxed attention.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Nozomi

Re: [D4EM] Learning Or Wisdom

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 pm

A sound of sweeping could be heard within the shrine. A young girl was sweeping within the temple confines, and upon noticing the Doji bowed low. "-Sama, are you here to pray? Please come in," she said, remaining bowed. As she did, another figure paused and came into view, dark haired and red eyed with skin as pale as the driven snow, a little veiny at the edges. There were similarities in the way the two women looked, though the girl seemed far more healthy than the older version. She bowed in turn as well.

"Crane-sama. Apologies. I am Nozomi, and this is my daughter Mayumi. Please, do not let us interrupt you too much." Admittedly, the two of them weren't the only ones in this place. But her focus was not quite as clear today and her awareness off for the moment. It would reset eventually, but she felt a little blind. Still, knowing that another was present in the temple today took that faint nerve away.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:52 pm

With just a hint of a smile, Hikaru bowed. "Thank you, young lady. And please, monk-san, there is no need to apologize. I was not doing anything that could not be interrupted." He straightened, his pale eyes curious as he studied the pair of them, noting the similarities. But what business of it was his if a monk had a daughter, or a niece, or a whole family?

Gently, he shook his head. "In truth, I am not here to pray. Or at least, not only here to pray. I have come here seeking wisdom." His lips shifted, just a little. "I suppose that people pray for wisdom often enough, but that is not my meaning."

He turned his gaze on Nozomi, eyes narrowing the slightest bit. "Nozomi. Jiyo Sora-sama spoke highly of you." He bowed. "My name is Doji Hikaru."
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:59 pm

It was one of the curiosities of the Order of Heroes. Where many imagined that they would be like Shinsei, and apparently unwed, it was not entirely unheard of in their ranks to find a monk or two who were married with families. It was definitely not common, but considering the nature of her original situation, and her musings with the Teacher as they'd been forming the order, along with the openness to a more worldly attitude, it had seemed the prudent route. Still, to see a monk with their child was not a common thing.

"Ah, I would direct you to Fukurokujin's shrine, but I ... believe I take your meaning. There's an old crow around here somewhere with his own share of insights, I think." Her daughter refrained from laughing when she said that. Sometimes she called Shinsei that, when she was feeling a little cute. "And is that old man telling more stories about me? I'm almost afraid to ask which ones. We've known each other a long time. It is... a pleasure Doji-sama."

(OOC: I'll let our third guest make an appearance before replying again.)
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:24 am

They say if you speak their Name, then they shall appear. Such seemed to be the case with Shinsei, only answering to old crow rather than his name. The irregularly aging monk made his way from within the temple to stand a short distance away from Nozomi and Mayumi, in a position conferring respect to them both.

"I was meditating within the temples when my ears began to tingle, so I assumed someone was talking about me." Shinsei's eyes sparkled at his attempt at humor. "It is good to see you Nozomi-san, Mayumi-san." He turned to regard the Crane. "And you as well, Doji-san, though I daresay we've never met before today. Have you come to seek the wisdom of the Fortunes?"
Monk | Ascetic | Enlightened

Honor: 8.0, Status: 1.0, Glory: 5.0

Run by GM Bakuriel

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 am

Hikaru gave a firm nod. "In fact, if you are speaking of who I think you are..."

And then Shinsei made his appearance. Well. That was fortuitous. Or something else, perhaps.

Hikaru turned, bowing. "Indeed, wise one, we have not. And as it happens, we were talking about you, or so I believe." A quick glance at Nozomi; Hikaru wasn't about to repeat the name 'Old Crow'.

He took a deep breath. "The wisdom of the Fortunes, or anyone else. The matter on which I seek counsel is serious indeed. If you would share your wisdom with me, I would be grateful indeed."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:54 am

"Shinsei-sama," she murmured, bowing and keeping the wry look out of her face as she did. "It is always good to see you. Forgive me my little quips. Yes. One old crow always keeps his perch with his companion. Finding one, you often find another." She didn't clarify which one was the crow in that equation. She simply nodded in confirmation to Hikaru's comment.

Her features hardened slightly. "I will help as I can, though I suspect that the wisdom you need most is not mine to give." If she were aa betting girl, it might very well be within Hikaru himself. Shinsei had this funny way of finding the answers inside of the person questioning. She rested a hand on Mayumi's shoulder, and the girl stilled her sweeping, taking a moment to pay attention to what they were talking. Hikaru hadn't asked her to leave after all.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:38 am

Shinsei gave a soft hum sound as he nodded, though whether to Hikaru or Nozomi was anyone's guess. "I am always open to counsel those in need. I only hope that my wisdom is up to the task being asked of me." He gestured towards a nearby rock, which he promptly sat down upon.

"Ask what you will, and I will do my best to provide answers, Doji-san."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am

Hikaru took another deep breath. "Perhaps not." He said to Nozomi. "But I am not too proud to accept it nonetheless."

He moved to join Shinsei near the rock, if not on it, his hands linked together in front of him, one over the other. "Lady Doji has been unwell lately. Unwell enough to prevent her from travelling to her daughter's wedding. And... it is a strange illness. Uncanny. She sleeps more, but sometimes her waking is as one still asleep. She speaks strange things, and does not remember them. Weird, unrecognizable characters find their way into her poetry, and she does not notice." As soft and measured as his voice was, Hikaru's knuckles were white as they clenched against each other, a sign of his distress.

Gently, he shook his head. "Jiyo-sama thinks that it is a corruption from something brought back from the expedition to save Lord Hisomu. I... do not know what to believe. But I think it is something supernatural. And I hope it has a cure." His pale eyes were a little wide as he looked at the two monks, lips pressing tightly together.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:01 am

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am
Hikaru took another deep breath. "Perhaps not." He said to Nozomi. "But I am not too proud to accept it nonetheless."
"Putting pride aside is sometimes the first step," she murmured as the two of them came forward with him. They knelt beside the rock together, listening impassively and silently as he spoke.
Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am
-snip-
Her countenance darkened as he spoke. Her daughter looked up and she put a finger directly to her lips, silencing her before she said anything. There was a warning look in her eyes as she looked down into the girl's face and shook her head. Now was not the time for children to speak. Whether she thought she remembered something, or not, it did not matter. Now was not the time.

And, as she did that, she went silent, thinking very carefully about what Jiyo Sora would consider a 'corruption' brought back from the expedition. That corruption was the taint, and to even suggest that one of the kami, any of the kami, was corrupted by the taint. She could almost wring the old man's throat. She didn't care his status. They had gone too far to think that one of them could be so easily corrupted who had not been present within the darkness of hell itself. Hisomu had withstood it for years directly within its maw. Doji was nowhere near the source of that corruption, and even without the divine spark.

However, what he described, it ... could be a symptom, possibly, maybe. They knew too little, and the Nezumi new too little because nobody of their race became tainted. But it could be. It could also be a thousand other things. Her eyes looked to Shinsei, narrowed, concerned. This was his to answer first.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:22 am

Shinsei let out a soft sigh. "It pains me to hear that the Lady Doji is suffering so, but I do not know that these things are related to corruption. There is much we do not know about its nature, and less that we can learn now that we've closed the main path into which it emerged into our realm. I wish I could give you a straight answer for your bereavement, but I'm afraid I cannot. What the Lady Doji experiences is beyond my understanding." He inhaled deeply, then exhaled in a loud puff. "What else has Jiyo-sama said of this matter to you?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:34 am

Hikaru took another deep breath. It seemed to be something he did when agitated, a steadying gesture. It didn't seem like quite enough. "He shared a suspicion with me. I hesitate to share it without more to support it, as it is nearly a slander. But the health of Lady Doji is of paramount importance to me. If finding help for her causes a stain upon my honor, so be it."

He cleared his throat. "Still, the fewer people that hear it, the better, and I must trust those with absolute confidence." He gave a significant glance towards the child.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:47 am

When Shinsei spoke, Nozomi nodded and turned towards him. "The Teacher is right. There is too little that we know to be certain. I do not regret the sealing of that portal for a moment, but we know so very little of that place's touch."
Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:34 am
Hikaru took another deep breath. It seemed to be something he did when agitated, a steadying gesture. It didn't seem like quite enough. "He shared a suspicion with me. I hesitate to share it without more to support it, as it is nearly a slander. But the health of Lady Doji is of paramount importance to me. If finding help for her causes a stain upon my honor, so be it."

He cleared his throat. "Still, the fewer people that hear it, the better, and I must trust those with absolute confidence." He gave a significant glance towards the child.
She caught the look, and Mayumi did as well. Her hand went from her lip and she looked down at her daughter, who turned to look up at him. "You care about your lord a lot. I will never speak of this, and I know my mother will not." Nozomi nodded, looking up at him as she said it.

"My daughter understands the importance of a confidence. You have entrusted with us a serious concern, Doji-sama. You are wise to be very careful who you speak this to, and I can only council you to remain cautious. If it is something else, you would never want to cause any doubt. You want her well. No matter the cost. What you have said here will be in confidence, on our honor and lives." She didn't look like she was saying it lightly, nor did the girl.

Then again, considering that both of them were well aware who Mayumi's actual father was, and how dangerous some secrets were? Mayumi could keep a secret when she had to.

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Hikaru hesitated another moment, but then he bowed. "In that case, I shall place my trust in all of you." Still, as he straightened, it was a long moment before he could speak.

"Hadananzi." He said, instinctively pitching his voice lower. "Jiyo-sama suggested a connection between the bird that Lord Nanzi brought back from that expedition, and Hadananzi. He said that both of them evaded his eye in a similar way. He suggested that Lord Nanzi may have inadvertently brought back this... thing... and that it now affects Lady Doji."

He spread his hands. "I cannot speak to the truth of this; I only repeat his words, his suspicions. And I have never known Hadananzi to be anything other than a gentleman." He swallowed. "But I fear that time grows short, and an answer must be found soon, before Lady Doji's condition worsens. Perhaps it is worth considering."

A pause, his lips pressing tightly together. "Although I do not understand why Lady Doji would sicken so quickly, more than the others around Hadananzi, if this were the case. Perhaps the culprit is deliberately poisoning her somehow?" His lips briefly drew back into a grimace at the thought.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:11 pm

That... was a lot. That was seriously a lot. Her eyes flickered to Shinsei and then they went back to Hikaru. "That is as equally dangerous a thing to say as the former worry that you have. It is true that Hadananzi joined us on the journey late, but as you say. He has never been anything but appropriate in his behavior when I have seen him." Her lips thinned. If Sora was right, this was still too brazen, too bold. That old man was going to get himself killed if he talked like this. "I confess that I do not actually like your kinsman too much. He is very different from me, and I find that I do not enjoy his company and so do not seek it out unless I need to. However, that?"

Her head shook. "I defer to Shinsei's wisdom, but I will say that to so brazenly act? In such a short time? If he were as has been suggested to you, he would be taking a nearly suicidal risk. It would become unavoidable before he could complete it. And ... I ... I do not like Nanzi that much as a person. He is a brave and honorable man, but we have never seen eye to eye. But I have a difficult time believing that Nanzi of all people would bring something so dangerous back."

"I respect Jiyo-sama a great deal, but I worry that seeing the heart of evil can make a man jump at shadows. I cannot begin to imagine what he saw in that awful place, or how it scarred those who saved Hisomu."

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Hikaru bowed slowly. "I recognize the danger, I assure you. I would not have mentioned it, had not Shinsei-sama requested the rest of Jiyo-sama's words. Until it is more than a mere speculation, I would prefer to mention it to as few people as possible." He sighed. "And perhaps it is childish of me, but I feel as though speaking it aloud makes it true, just as speaking of Shinsei-sama brought him into this room."

Another sigh, slower and softer this time. "Perhaps it is better to focus on what we do know. I have brought a sample of Lady Doji's poetry. Be careful when observing it. There is something unpleasant about the characters. It feels as though..." Hikaru pursed his lips for a few moments. "As though they are trying to intrude upon the mind."

Pulling something from a pouch, Hikaru held out a well-worn piece of very fine paper, a poem written with exquisite calligraphy on it. But insinuated between the characters of the poem were other unreadable characters, strange, twisted... uncanny...

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Shinsei regarded the strange characters only for the barest moment, then turned his eyes away almost immediately. There was a slow shake of his head, and something that would be as close to a muttered curse as the monk ever got to.

"I do not know what this is, and I'm not certain I wish to know more of it. Studying these characters seems to be a part of their intent." He breathed slowly, as if to steady himself. "I do not know enough of Hadananzi to make any accusations, but I am with Nozomi in my general disfavor of him. But, if he were the source of such an affliction, why is it Lady Doji who is affected the most and not his wife, who surely spends the most time around him. Something in all this is not adding up..."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 pm

Nozomi looked over when he reacted. As soon as he said 'studying the characters appears to be the intent,' she took a hand to keep the girl back. Mayumi wasn't leaning in. It was an act of an overprotective mother. She frowned. "I will not look at that then," she said, very firmly. "If there is some element of force behind them, there are far too many possibilities to even question. Whatever is going on, it is very worrying. I wonder if perhaps it is because she is a Kami, because she is so much beyond all of us that this is happening at all. Not something we would be touched by."

A grunt followed and she frowned much more openly. "I think only the closest of examinations could say anything, however. Where we are? We are doing this only distantly, at a far range after all."

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 pm

"Yes..." Hikaru said, his brows drawing down. "And should not one of the Kami have more resistance than the average human? I would expect all of us to be affected before her. Perhaps it is something else..." His hands clenched, going down to his side. "But then what?"

Another deep breath; he nodded understanding at Nozomi; not everyone needed to subject themselves to it. "Only Kami... perhaps they can understand it somehow?" He shook his head. "I don't know. This is all very confusing."

He paused a moment, pressing both hands against his face. "Lady Doji has been examined, to no avail. For the last year, I have been searching wisdom elsewhere, to no avail. I'm... not sure what to do next."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:04 pm

"Hmm, you say she's been examined, and there are no signs of what's afflicting her?" Shinsei shook his head, worry lines appearing at the corners of his mouth. Things could never be simple it seemed.

"Have you spoken to the Lady Doji about this matter directly? Is she afflicted beyond reasoning, or does she know something is wrong with her?"

Run by GM Bakuriel