A Spider's Prayers (D3 EE)

Hisomu Kuni

A Spider's Prayers (D3 EE)

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:09 am

Kuni was saying his evening prayers.
Spider Clan Shugenja * Antisocial * Fashionista * Slightly Paranoid * Not a Fan of Jigoku

Equipment:

Nozomi

Re: A Spider's Prayers (D3 EE)

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:15 am

He was not the only one. Nozomi had lingered since the afternoon, tending to one shrine after another. If Jurojin and Bishamon had been thanked first, she was not about to let any of the great fortunes feel slighted after her life had been spared a bear's claws today. So, they had made the last few hours a time of dedication, cleaning and tending one part of the shrine or another.

When she happened to see him, she bowed to Kuni low. "Hisomu-sama. It has been some time." Whether or not they were well acquainted, she visited Spider lands often in her youth and still got back when she could. They shared so much in mindset to her, not to mention their shared boundary with the Dragon. "Please, do not let us interrupt too much."
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:36 am

Kuni gave a deeper bow than her station demanded. She had - unlike Kuni - proven herself a hero during the rescue of Hisomu. And he respected her hatred for Jigoku endeared her to Kuni. "Nozomi-san. Mayumi-san. It is a pleasure to see you." He gave a genuine smile. He could just be himself around these two.
Spider Clan Shugenja * Antisocial * Fashionista * Slightly Paranoid * Not a Fan of Jigoku

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:48 am

That was one of the nice things about talking with Dragons and Spiders in private. Her usual desire to keep things carefully behind the veil of norms that the Crane and Akodo were so insistent about began to bleed away. Her expression softened. "Not often for me to see you this far south, Kuni-sama. Well, not unless you are all the way further south, about your master's business. You keep the eternal vigil still, I hope." She didn't say it with the slightest doubt in her tone.

For a moment, she thought about Sora's vision. Yes. That might bear mention. Kuni could be trusted with this, and to be cautious in how he approached the matter. The eyes of a priest, watching for the influence of darkness, would be valuable.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:06 am

Kuni nods. "Hai. I'd prefer to back in the library, but Hisomu-kami insisted I come here." Kuni didn't know why. He had suspicions. Unfortunately, Hisomu wasn't the most straightforward of his brood. He could be here to remind everyone the Jigoku is a threat or because Hisomu thought a threat might present itself. Nozomi was a smart woman. She would figure that out.

"Though I suppose there are many ways to fight the darkness. Even if it is just telling others how to light a lamp." Kuni shrugged. It was the best answer he could give.

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 am

"Your master is a prescient soul, as always. There is ever a risk of the rise of darkness, and..." she glanced around, making sure that her daughter wasn't too close, her awareness taking in the girl's location. "There is the possibility that its threat may be here. there is the possibility it is simply fear and paranoia. I have come to find a little paranoia is never a bad thing when it comes to the realm of evil and its touch."

She folded her arms. "I can't give specifics. I have seen no sign myself. But I would be on your best guard in your time here. This snow is not tainted, but spiritual forces are at work I think. Best to be mindful that some darkness that lurks in the shadows may have been trapped among these city walls. Remember. Some of those creatures were very good at ... infiltration."

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:34 am

"There is no such thing as paranoia concerning Jigoku." He glances at her daughter. It was one of those creatures that her father if he recalled correctly. Nozomi would know well about that. Plus wasn't there a spider monster that appeared as a little girl?

"I will keep an eye out. I think I remember her father. If I find anything, I will send word that I remembered I owe her father a gambling debt and would like to repay it."

Kuni frowns. "Of course, we must also consider that it is not a creature. There have been few reports of those Tainted by Jigoku. Most of them had become madmen. But one disturbing report I received from a Seeker of Jigoku stated she showed no outward sign. It was only when the Seeker tossed her an extra piece of jade and she dodged it that he knew. The Seeker said she used some sort of foul magic to raise the dead to fight for her as she ran."

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:46 am

"True enough. What some would call paranoia, I simply call survival instinct and diligence." There might be times it was inconvenient, but she certainly felt better being diligent than the alternative. He remembered all too well just how much the threats could disguise themselves, after all, and so did she.

She took a moment before her lips set in a sort of old frown and then she nodded. "Yes... I think that's a good way to put it when you send me a message. I will inform the Little Teacher, should you learn anything. He should know." He wasn't always the best to handle the taint, but he had a great deal of wisdom in these things. "And old debts are always the sort of thing to repay. Let them snort if they think it actually was gambling. Her father did enjoy his dice."

"Yes, I've considered the possibility that a guest conceals some venom. I don't want to actually discuss it too openly. It would not be interpreted well by some, which would lead to the wrong result. As much as I hate being circumspect it's needed." However... she held up her dominant arm, showing him the old bracelet, the same bracelet she'd worn since those days. It had seen better days, just like its matching pair on Shinsei's arm. However, it was clearly real jade. "I keep this on me at all times. We are ready to test and be tested always."

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:51 am

Kuni nods. "You came prepared." Kuni took a moment to be infuriated at his player who forgot to buy jade for him pre-game. But then offers his hand so the monk can check and confirm he is pure.

"Is Shinsei here? I would like to talk to him if possible. I have theories about what Jigoku may do. I am curious of what he would think of them."

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Her player wasn't necessarily any better. That piece of jade had been bought in the prior game after all. "I haven't taken this piece off unless I've needed to in many years. I carried it with me into the darkness, and will carry it until it degrades and I must find another. A promise to myself and another." And speaking of that promise, she chuckled. "As for the Little Teacher, he is in town, yes. I know that his concerns about the realm of evil are very real. Whether he agrees with your suggestions is up to him, but finding him is not difficult. You can find his rock easily enough or perhaps the bird. Crow wanders about."

Sadly, she definitely couldn't arrange the meetings with him. He liked to keep his own hours, even with her.

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:16 am

"Ah. I remember that bird. A strange little fellow. I will look for it later. Thank you for the advice, Nozomi-san." He looks her daughter for a second and back to her. "Does your daughter intend to follow you into the monkhood? Or does she wish to follow the way of the samurai as you did in the previous life?"

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 pm

Nozomi considered that question. "Upward mobility is not a thing that is entirely favored for those who are considered peasantry at this time," she said, folding her arms and shrugging. "But she has been training to become one of the Order herself." Mayumi didn't look entirely happy as it was said. In fact, neither of them looked entirely happy when it was said, but it was also not something that they could deny. The concept of a twenty goblin winter wasn't entirely clear, but then again neither were the static roles of the Crane's world vision.

"Let us say that I am hopeful that my daughter will find a way to achieve her full potential and destiny in keeping with her will. What form that will take? That is up to her and fate itself." That Mayumi nodded more clearly to.

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:26 am

"Well, her father wasn't a peasant. He died a hero on his way to save a Kami. And the Spider at least are a little more flexible than the Crane. I swear every time Ninube-sama leaves she comes back with another child." Kuni shakes his head. "I am not trying to recruit your daughter." Though after stumbling on it, well, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Her father and mother were both people who were brave enough to go Jigoku to save Hisomu.

"Just if she is considering a life outside the monkhood, I can make her a nice kimono." His lord told him to get a hobby, and he did enjoy it. Might as well get some work in. "Or if monks can have such things." Kuni shrugged. He was pretty sure monks avoided material possessions, but he wasn't 100%.

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:53 am

"No, her father is certainly not a peasant, and I do not think that at the time that we entered that place, such things were nearly so clear. He's a hero, and so I suppose am I. It is more complicated than some make it out to be. And that is a concern of mine... but also a concern for another day." She said, her tone a little distant before she laughed very softly. "Hah. Oh, Hisomu-sama. She would almost consider it I think, if there was an appropriate time for such things. You have no idea how she idolizes Yamadono's daughter."

She smiled at him. "You are a good man, Hisomu-sama. And we can have good kimonos, but we don't put too much stock in such things. Silk does not last forever."

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:58 am

"Well, I can make something that wouldn't get worn out so easy. If she desires of course."

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:06 am

Hmmmm... "Sturdy is good. Not needing to replace clothing so often does have its merits," she said, looking over at her daughter, who just held her tongue and smirked a little. That was one way to the woman's heart. Something practical. "But wait... that's right, you have a skill in tailoring don't you?" So he was suggesting making something for them? That... was more the kind of gift that she was on board with definitely.

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:12 am

Kuni nods. "I have some skill. My superior thought a hobby would prevent me from becoming to obsessed with my craft. He did have a point. I feel like obsession with fighting it could lead one into recklessness."

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:30 am

She smirked wryly. "Focus on only one thing can drive one to absolute distraction. You need to focus, to know your enemy, but if that's all you think about, it can end badly. Recklessness is a risk, and it's dangerous to stare too long into the darkness, lest it stare back at you." It was something she knew all too well, though her own obsessions had been another potential threat, and one she still struggled with. Her own darkness had looked back at her at least once, after all. "So I would not mind if we had the chance to help you in that fashion."

Hisomu Kuni

Post by Hisomu Kuni » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 am

Kuni smiled. "I shall work on it soon enough. Though I will have to get the materials. Is there any preference she or you would prefer?" Kuni left his question open ended so he could accommodate any request whether it was in the style it was made, a design, color, etc.

Equipment:

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:18 pm

"Linen, if you can keep to that," Nozomi said, and this got a nod of agreement from her daughter. "While I have to admit that silk is lovelier and breathes better, it does not always travel quite as well. Linen is helpful in this sort of thing to make something that will last for a long time. Thank you for this consideration, Hisomu-sama."