[Day 3, Late Afternoon] Outnumbered and Outflanked (Expecting)

Otomo Gusai

Re: [Day 3, Late Afternoon] Outnumbered and Outflanked (Expecting)

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 pm

For his part, Gusai keeps his eye closed.

His ears, however, work just fine.
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:21 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:15 pm
He worked his jaw around and glanced at the Otomo.

"I would hope that any and all successors among the various Champions- may those days be a long time in coming!-would surround themselves with able advisers, and use that to shape their proposals to the throne. But it sounds like you have something more... direct in mind."
"Not all meant to rule do so with wisdom, or so the saying goes among the Ghost Tribe. A strong council could balance an atypical Throne of the future," she said calmly.

"As you say long may they grace us in this mortal world."

Dojihime mulled over his final words and added, "Direct is one way to see it, I see it as collaborative. Giving some agency to the clans on clan matters while leaving the sanctity and needs of Empire to the authority of the Throne."
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 pm

Doji Dojihime wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:21 pm
"Not all meant to rule do so with wisdom, or so the saying goes among the Ghost Tribe. A strong council could balance an atypical Throne of the future," she said calmly.

"As you say long may they grace us in this mortal world."

Dojihime mulled over his final words and added, "Direct is one way to see it, I see it as collaborative. Giving some agency to the clans on clan matters while leaving the sanctity and needs of Empire to the authority of the Throne."
That got a chuckle.

"The Throne already allows the Clans great leeway within their lands. I think you may find that presenting it as a quest for, as you put it, 'some agency on clan matters' will be met with bafflement, to say the least. After all, the only Clan to have its internal decisions result in direct Imperial sanctions has been the Crab."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 pm

"I appreciate the feedback, but I still see value in such an endeavor," she replied.
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:33 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 pm
"The Throne already allows the Clans great leeway within their lands. I think you may find that presenting it as a quest for, as you put it, 'some agency on clan matters' will be met with bafflement, to say the least. After all, the only Clan to have its internal decisions result in direct Imperial sanctions has been the Crab."
Again, the Otomo's ears are open.

And the Stag bore part of the cost of that, he thinks, while the Crane gained land from it.

She mean to mutiny?
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 pm

"So did the Emperor. Hence the Isawa's role as a council of advisers to the throne."

He shrugged.

"But I'm just one man, and one lacking social polish in the bargain. Forgive me if I seem focused on what strike me as... flaws in the case you present. It simply seems to me that the Throne is hardly difficult to approach with valid concerns as matters stand. Certainly, if the Crane wish to form a framework to formalize their own petitions, I can see little difficulty there, but I would be cautious of presenting it as a bid for giving the Clans more agency when Shiba already rules with a light hand in most respects. Perhaps you might find fertile ground in breaking the Imperial monopoly on those advisory positions the Isawa mandated when they joined the Empire? After all, I firmly believe in the most able holding positions of power, irrespective of their birth."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 pm

"Why not both, I do not propose to break such a monopoly, indeed this idea enhances it and provides a way to defray the burden of managing the Clans but also a way to shield the throne from fault if such a decision goes awry in the future. It's a complicated but worthwhile endeavor to better allow multiple voices, it is less about petitions and more a formal council that can act as advisors and executors in a limited capacity," she responded.

"It is precisely the light touch for why this matter could work, Shiba-dono provides a great deal of latitude and this simply seeks to codify this guidance for the long term. The next may not be so lenient, or light handed."

Dojihime finished with, "It matters not as they rule by divine authority but this could provide a more formal council mechanism to aid in the expansion and governance of the vast empire. At least these words were heard, and this one is thankful for the wisdom of Jiyo-sama on the matter."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 pm

Definitely sounds like mutiny, Gusai thinks. Does her momma know about this?

Still, he says nothing. Sora's reputation...suffices.
Otomo Gusai

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:10 am

"If Doji-san found wisdom in my words, then perhaps I should quit while I'm ahead."

Current Theme

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:23 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:10 am
"If Doji-san found wisdom in my words, then perhaps I should quit while I'm ahead."
She raised her fan and giggled playfully behind it and then said, “Jiyo-sama, speaks with the authority and wisdom of the Imperial bloodlines, the well spring of wisdom. Is it often that others do not heed his counsel?”

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 am

Doji Dojihime wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:23 am
She raised her fan and giggled playfully behind it and then said, “Jiyo-sama, speaks with the authority and wisdom of the Imperial bloodlines, the well spring of wisdom. Is it often that others do not heed his counsel?”
"Ah, I forget, you're young, and don't have children yet."

He grinned.

"Once you have a pair of twelve year olds, you might know the wellspring of my... resignation. Besides which, my wife is the wise one in my marriage. Thank the Fortunes my children take after her as much as they do."

Current Theme

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 am

“Women are the source of most positive influences in the Empire,” she mused lightly.

“I will offer prayers to my honored grandmother that your children grow wise and strong, Jiyo-sama. With such a storied father and wise mother, their future is bright indeed. Have you found them suitable spouses yet?”

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am

Doji Dojihime wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 am
“I will offer prayers to my honored grandmother that your children grow wise and strong, Jiyo-sama. With such a storied father and wise mother, their future is bright indeed. Have you found them suitable spouses yet?”
"Not yet."

He found the idea less... appalling than he might have done justa year prior.

"Phi and Shirayuki are both twelve. So I should probably start looking into it. Seeing if they like boys or girls or both, that kind of thing. Hell, seeing if they have any particular ideas of their own to consider. Phi's visit to the Scorpion has left her with a bit of polish."

He chuckled.

"In fact, I wouldn't be too shocked if she was already weighing her options without waiting on me to broach the subject. She likes art and culture, and figuring out what people are doing and thinking. Shirayuki... might be a bit harder to pin down. But she really liked Togashi's followers, so maybe a Dragon of some sort. And Soryu's seven. Have a bit more time for him."

Current Theme

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:45 am

She noted the names and then said, “Fine choices, the Dragon and Scorpion are fine families. It seems a temptation to simply divine their proper destinies have you refrained with your own children? Forgive this one if that is an improper question but whispers are that your… eye sees more than most.”

She maintained a semblance of On even as she mentioned the wretched thing.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 am

"Oh, this little gift from a capricious fate sees plenty... but it seldom shows me anything nice. Besides. I wouldn't want to rob them of the chance to shape their destinies by telling them what I see. I can... let them know my hopes without anything oracular entering the picture. But the key thing is that I want them to make a few choices for themselves. Shelter 'em too much from the weight of decision-making and living with their choices and they'll never stand on their own."

Current Theme

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:15 am

"If it pleases you, I could stand to hear more about your wonderful children, you are truly so proud of them," she offered.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:54 am

"Well, not much to tell. Like most parents, I think my offspring are the greatest thing in the world, and I want to do better by them than my parents did by me."

He paused.

"Not that my parents set an example it's difficult to exceed. But anyway. Phi and Shirayuki are twins, and they're growing up too fast for me. They complement each other well, and they help their mother while I'm on the road- which is a lot of the time, sad to say."

Current Theme

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 am

Gusai rises from where he was.

Being away's no easy thing, he muses, though being out in the world's got its own attractions.

He cannot but pass close to Sora and Dojihime again, really. Not without breaking a wall, and that'd be bad.
Otomo Gusai

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 am

She nodded and glanced to the Stag to see if he had anything to add before continuing.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:09 am

Gusai catches the nod, returns it.

"Children are blessings, truly," he affirms. "Have yours been taking any particular schooling? Might have some bearing on where they end up, after all."
Otomo Gusai