Are You There Grandma? It's Me, Tsuki-chan! (D1, EA. Open)

Togashi Satsuki

Are You There Grandma? It's Me, Tsuki-chan! (D1, EA. Open)

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:15 am

The temple to Amaterasu seemed like one of these few places in Shiba's home that was the most like her own home.

Alas, it wasn't as quiet as she hoped it would be, as there were still some preparations being done for the wedding ceremony, so her original plans of finding a quiet place to meditate were dashed for now. But that opened up the possibilities of exploration instead as she took to wandering the temple, looking at what was being done and how it different from the temple to Amaterasu in her father's home.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Re: Are You There Grandma? It's Me, Tsuki-chan! (D1, EA. Open)

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 am

Satsuki would not be the only one trying and failing to find a quiet place. Hikaru was also there, although he did not have meditation on the mind, at least not as a Dragon would have thought of it. Instead, he carried paper and charcoal, and walked around studying the buildings and the sightlines, looking for an appropriate vista.

It was at the pathway between two buildings that he encountered the Dragon princess, he about to pass through it one direction, she the other. Hikaru paused a moment, then bowed respectfully. "Excuse me, Togashi-sama. I do not mean to block your path." With practiced grace, he stepped to the side, tucking his art materials smoothly under his arm as he did so.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:48 am

"Oh... uh..." she stopped, looking him up and down. "... Ah you must be the groom, neh? Many congratulations to you!"

Since she believed he was supposed to be family-by-bonds, as her mother would call it, Satsuki put her hands on Hikaru's arms, ready to give him a big hug.

Because Doji's rules of etiquette could jump in a lake for all she cared.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:00 am

Well. Hikaru prided himself on being relatively unflappable. Keeping a good manners face, as he'd been taught by Doji handmaidens, even a little help from Doji herself. But perhaps he'd focused so much on the arts that he'd missed the lesson The Appropriate Response When A Dragon Princess Mistakes Your Identity and Tries to Hug You.

"What?!" Hikaru's pale eyes widened noticeably, his surprise complete. At least he managed only a slight tensing of his arms under her touch, and not either a mad flailing or an attempt to turn it into a grapple. "No, I'm not!"

A moment later, and he recovered, even managing a very gentle amused smile. "My name is Doji Hikaru. I can be sure to pass your congratulations along to Hadananzi-sama if you wish." He looked at her, eyebrows up, waiting.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 am

"Oooooh..." realisation dawned on her and she let the poor fellow go. "Sorry, I was told that the groom was supposed to be this handsome Crane guy."

Then she realised what she said and how that could be intepreted. "Not that I think you're handsome, but... from a certain point of view I guess." She looked away for a moment, clearing her throat.

"Anyway. I'm terribly sorry for the mistaken identity! Please pass on my well-wishes if I don't see him until the wedding. Same for the bride! Uh... I'm Togashi Satsuki, daughter of Lord Togashi of the Dragon, and Lady Togashi Saruko of the Saru. A pleasure to meet you, Hikaru-san!" Bow! Introduction done!
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:46 am

Hikaru had good control over his expression; there was not another startled look. Still, a careful observer of his (even, nearly sculpted) features would see the brows go up, and then down, coming together, and then back up. "A certain point of view. I see." He echoed, the corners of his lips turning up just a little bit.

He smiled, just a little. "I would be honored to do so, Togashi-sama. As it is an honor to meet you." He returned her bow, clearly well-practiced at it. "I have seen both your parents, although I did not have the honor of speaking with them myself." His chin tilted upwards. "My name is Doji Hikaru. I serve Lady Doji in her personal retinue."

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:53 am

"Ah you have? Not many get to say they've seen my father... he tends to be a homebody," she said with a warm chuckle. Overall, there seemed to be a warmth to her entire being. "So you know Auntie Doji! Ah... hmmm.... how is she, by the way? I would've thought she would be her. It's her daughter getting married."

Her brow furrowed in confusion at the entire circumstance. Not that she was getting married, but if in some hypothetical circumstance that she would, Satsuki was certain that both her parents would be there no matter what.
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:07 am

"So I gathered, in my brief observation." Hikaru inclined his head, another of his almost smiles touching his lips. "And yet, your esteemed mother did a fine job of drawing him out." He pursed his lips, his pale eyes going distant. "It was several years ago, while visiting Lady Doji." Or, to Satsuki, Auntie Doji. Hikaru gave her a strange look.

The question made Hikaru's smile, slight as it was, fade. "Yes. She'd hoped to attend. Lately, though, she has been afflicted by a strange ailment..." No sign of emotion showed on Hikaru's face, but his hands briefly clenched down at his sides. He looked at Satsuki, his eyes curious. "Tell me, if you would, Togashi-sama. Have you ever known your father to fall ill?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:16 am

"Ill?" she blinked, somewhat confused by the question. Then thoughtful, with her brows knitted together in contemplation. "Never ill, no... hmmmm... distant, but never ill. What sort of strange ailment? I didn't think that was possible for one of the Kami..."

She rubbed her chin, clearly thinking about something as she had absolutely no game-face at all to speak of.
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:21 am

Hikaru spread his hands. It was subtle, but there was a hint of frustration in the gesture, and in the lines in his forehead as he considered Lady Doji's misfortune. "Fatigue, mostly. At least at first. Later... more uncanny things. I cannot speak of them casually."

He watched Satsuki consider. After a few moments, the corners of Hikaru's lips curled up once more. "One can almost see your mind working, Togashi-sama." He said, his voice low and soft. "Would you share it with me?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:27 am

"Hmmm..." she said out loud. "I'm not sure. Father's been... not sick," Satsuki clarified to start with. "But he's been more secluded lately. Means mother is doing more of the duties for the clan, and of course she isn't complaining, but... one of the reasons I came here, well among of many, really, was that I'm concerned about it. I thought maybe I'd speak with unc-- Emperor Shiba about it."

At least she had manners enough to not say Uncle Shiba.

"When my brother and I asked what was troubling him, father only said strange dreams. I don't even know if he means his own..."

Maybe there was a link? She looked to Hikaru with expressive eyes that tried to convey that thought.
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:39 am

The quirk of his lips showed that Hikaru had caught the slip, but he was too polite to say anything about it. "Secluded. Hmmm. By itself, I would not think that concerning." Hikaru frowned. "This feels like trying to solve a riddle that I've only heard half of."

As much control as Hikaru had over his expression, he had little over his eyes. As they met hers, there was no disguising the surprise in them at the phrase strange dreams.

"Lady Doji sleeps more. And when she wakes..." His lips compressed for a moment. "Have you ever seen a person sleep, yet walk about, perhaps even speak? That is how it is with her, as though she were in a waking dream..." Eyes still on hers, he nodded. "That seems too uncanny to be coincidence."

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:42 am

"I can't say I have..." she was honest, but uncertain abut the matter. And worried. Was her father suffering from what Doji was suffering from? No, no, he wasn't sleepwalking or ill, or anything like that.

"It's a very strange ailment you speak of. Not like anything Nadare-sensei has taught me about. Hmmm... maybe Shinsei, or the Emperor would have answers?"
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 am

Hikaru sighed gently. "If I have the fortune of encountering Shinsei, I will ask him. Alas, fate has not brought us together." His forehead creased again as he considered. "Emperor Shiba, though. It is said that he is among the wisest of the Kami. Perhaps I will ask him." Determination firmed his voice.

He looked at Satsuki, smiling just the tiniest bit once more. "In truth, I recently traveled to Dragon lands to seek your father. I'd hoped to ask him about this, but I was forced to turn back too soon. Now, he is not at this wedding, but his daughter is." Even from his measured tones, it was clear that Hikaru felt this fact significant.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:59 am

"Hm," her lips quirked a little, "I'm sure if I were to tell him that, he'd just nod and smile like that was his plan all along!" There was a small sense of exasperation with that, but still meant in a loving way as she clearly cared for her father.

"But! I will help you, Hikaru-san! Which means helping my family. Auntie Doji might... terrify me slightly, in a very weird way, but she is my family. And family is important! I'm not as wise or powerful as my father, but I do have some of his gift of foresight... not that I've foreseen anything about this, but if I do, I will let you know, neh?"
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:14 am

"Thank you, Togashi-sama." Hikaru said, a hint of real feeling in his voice. "That means a great deal to me, especially as I suspect her malady of being supernatural. If you have the gift of foresight, that might be just what is needed." He took a deep breath. "When you next see your father, thank him for his plan." Was he teasing her? His lips did curl up, just a little...

Then he looked at her, regarding her with tilted head. "But you say Lady Doji terrifies you? Even though you call her Auntie?" His eyebrows went up. "How is it that she terrifies you?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 am

"Ah, well, uh... she just has such... high expectations. Of etiquette and manners. I always worry I will mess up in someway and disappoint her, even if she's too polite and well-mannered to tell me she's disappointed. But you just know, you know! That way she just looks at you expectantly, as if just holding your pinky finger the wrong way is some terrible breach of etiquette!"

The Dragon princess huffed. "I don't really like standing on ceremony."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 am

"I..." Paused a moment, brushing back his single lock of white hair; it had gotten lose from the rest, falling down across his cheekbones. He took a breath. "I understand. The desire not to disappoint her is strong; I sought never to do so." His pale eyes went distant once more when discussing Doji. "But I know that she cares for her family very much. Very much indeed." He fell silent.

Shaking his head, that white lock coming free again, he looked at Satsuki again. "I had gathered as much." He said, mildly. "The hug was a fine clue." Again, he smiled, just a little. "What is it that you do like, Togashi-sama?"

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:59 am

"Lots of things!" Satsuki decided to put on a happy face because Hikaru seemed distraught and down about auntie Doji, so it was important to keep the spirits up.

"I like reading and learning all sorts of new things, especially if it has to do with magic and theology. And I like art, most of it really. And meditation, just getting some peace and quiet as you sit there and just feel the universe around you in harmony. And music. And good food! We have a very skilled cook with us, Saru Takurou-san! You should ask him for something tasty if you meet him, he's pretty good."
Theme | Profile

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:17 am

Well, he'd asked. Hikaru blinked at this sudden outpouring of interests. "I am afraid I know nothing of magic, except a little as it relates to theology. About the spirits of the elements..." Hikaru made a vague gesture with one hand.

His expression brightened. "But I have a great deal of interest in art. In fact, I came here to take some sketches." He gave a little shake of the materials tucked under his arm. "A precursor, perhaps, to a painting. And someplace quiet..." He turned, looking back at the buildings of the temple, dusted with snow. "Alas, while the temple is lovely, I did not find it quiet."

He chuckled, very softly. "And while I would not say I have an interest in food, I do eat. Saru Takurou-san, you say?"