D5EE, Stained with Ink (Open)

Otomo Gusai

D5EE, Stained with Ink (Open)

Post by Otomo Gusai » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:09 pm

Having failed to acquit himself in the day's event, and recalling a conversation with Jiyo Ayumi, Gusai finds himself in a study room in the library, wondering how to begin with this...writing...thing.
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Makime Ayano

Re: D5EE, Stained with Ink (Open)

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:09 am

Ayano, a little flustered with her work on the Tao, decides it best to take a break. And she had not had a chance to really just peruse the library these last few days. So it was that the Stag found a copper haired Lioness seated not too far from him with an unrolled scroll.
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 am

Recognizing her from earlier, Gusai approaches.

"Makima-sama," he says, with a bow, "may I, Otomo Gusai, captain of the Hopeful Endeavor, speak with you a time?"
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:26 am

Ayano glances up from her scroll, "Otomo-sama? You are from the Stag then." She smiles, "I am available to speak if that is what you wish. It seems a reputation proceeds me?"
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:40 am

"It does," Gusai agrees, returning the smile, "and the more so after your excellent suggestion in court."

He seats himself and continues. "Indeed, there're some matters I'd hoped to discuss with you--in particular, you."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 pm

"I only hope people keep calling it that when the full realization of the work needed hits them," Ayano smiled sheepishly, "Is it about the road project or something else I can help you with Otomo-san?"

She looked him over curiosity evident in her eyes.

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 am

"It's related, actually, if not necessarily part, as such," Gusai replies. "And little that is truly good comes without much work--though we can hope the work is pleasant enough.

"But it seems to me that good roads would ease shipping inland--which means that ports and the like would need improvement, as well, since the sea would remain a major means of shipping. And that's something some say the Lion would have some interest in.

"Do they say rightly?"
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:57 pm

"Lord Akodo does indeed desire to expand the maritime holdings of our clan." Ayano's smile turns sheepish, "We...have only recently acquired sea side lands. Those from my mother's old tribe have experience fishing the coast, but nothing bigger."

"That ports would need to be expanded had come to my mind as well, even with the road there are somethings best shipped. And of course if there could be found ways to make some of the rivers more friendly to larger craft that could turn into another roadway on its own."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:02 pm

"I'm familiar with your coastal holdings," Gusai replies, nodding with a smile. "Nice port of call, the one.

"But, as you know, the Stag have abundant coastal lands, and a fair number of us sail. And we wish to preserve the amity that has prevailed among the Emperor's siblings and their followers these years; we are all the better off for it, I think. I believe the same is true for the Lion."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:08 pm

"Indeed, Lord Akodo often speaks of his brother Lord Hantei and in terms of admiration." Ayano nodded, "And Lady Makime would see closer relations with the border clans."

"I assume you mean Shiro Akodo," Her eyes light up, "It is a very beautiful sight. The sea nearby was the home of Lady Akodo."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:29 am

"I'd heard something about that on my runs up that way," Gusai says. "We've sent supplies there, and the Endeavor's handled several of the shipments. There's something nice about seeing the castle abuilding, and the view is one of the better ones from land."

He looks at her with his one eye. "Have you sailed often?" he asks.
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:01 pm

"I have never sailed," Ayano shook her head, "When I was younger I spent time with my grandfather who travelled with a caravan down the coast, through Crane lands. So I spent a lot of time near the sea."

"To captain your own vessel, I assume the sea must practically be in your blood."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:05 pm

Gusai gives a quiet bark of laughter.

"Truer than you'd have reason to know, Makime-sama!" he says. "Though some of it was simply time passing with good service and true.

"But I commend it to you. Faster than overland travel in many respects, and safer from many things."

He sighs. "Not all, but many."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:19 pm

"I am the daughter of the Makime Daimyo, unless the Crane or your own clan had felt cause...it was unlikely I would come to harm." Ayano rested her head on a hand, "But I spoke to enough without the protection afforded my person to know the normal dangers. The road should help with that, particularly if some sort of...wardens? guardians? could be created to patrol the stretches."

"Out of curiosity do you think such a force would be needed to patrol the coast? I am honestly not as familiar with maritime shipping."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:24 pm

"It was actually in regards to such things that I'd hoped to speak with you," Gusai says, "at least in part. And Jiyo Ayumu had had questions about such things, as well, so there's clearly a need.

"There would be concerns about who can claim what waters and in what circumstances," he continues, "which the coastal clans--such as the Lion--would need to discuss. And then, perhaps, a more...general set of naval patrols? But that would become decidedly problematic; it is all too easy to fly false colors."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 pm

"There are a great many things like that, I believe there should be a gathering of clan and Imperial representatives under the purview of the Emperor to discuss these and other topics. Lady Makime has found that collect a small council of knowledgeable people has made larger problems easier to tackle."

Her smile turn weary, "Mother is always one with her eye to martial pursuits...but a lot of her ideas like that I think could be expanded to other complicated problems the Empire faces."

"Ah...deception is an unfortunate fact of conflict. It does not surprise me that some would use the symbols of another...beyond hoping to destroy the reputation of another, I assume such is also used to perform an ambush on the unwary?"

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 pm

Gusai nods. "Much as flying a back-banner with another's mon upon it, yes," he replies. "But you're right that there're other things than fighting to consider. And your mother's right that expertise should be heeded. Too few seem to remember that, and at inopportune times.

"To return, though: yes, I think that there would be things to consider in concert. Even aside from Empire-spanning work, we could confer about our peoples."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:20 am

"I think for general discussions between clans...well something like this would be useful. Representatives attending a months long meeting with others." Ayano nodded in turn, "But I mean also more permanent councils whose members are experts in whatever the council was formed to do."

"Did you perhaps something else in mind?" She asked with a sudden look of exasperation, "My apologies...I have found myself excitable these days, when it comes to talking about those things which interest me. I think it is the chance to speak to people with a different viewpoint then my own."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:22 am

"There's nothing to apologize for," Gusai replies. "Passion for good work's a good thing, really.

"But the problem with a standing council is that standing in it makes for expertise in the council, not the thing it does. Crew rotations matter, you know.

"And as to other discussions," he adds, "well, yes. I had an idea after my last trip up Lion way, and maybe it works in tandem with the overall bit. It's namely this: I'd like to see about exchanging access to ports and riverine trade."

And there it is.
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:15 pm

"I would have thought the ports were already open." Ayano raised a brow, "But do you perhaps mean something more permanent?"

She moves her hand to her chin and thinks for a moment, "There would likely have to still be some inspection and duties taken from any trade, if no other reason then to help maintain the port and river access."