D5EE, Stained with Ink (Open)

Otomo Gusai

Re: D5EE, Stained with Ink (Open)

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:26 am

Gusai matches it.

"As do we all, Makime-sama," he says. "I'll not pry, if you do not wish to share them with me."
Otomo Gusai
Experienced * Stag Clan * Admiral * Missing Eye * Discoverer of New Lands
Status 4.0* Glory 3.0 * Honor Untrustworthy

Current Influence: 0
Available for private parties

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:12 pm

"Thank you Otomo-sama," Ayano smiled appreciatively. "To return to perhaps our original topic...might I inquire as to the length of your normal trips from north to south, it will be faster then even with the roadway but I am curious how much so."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:35 pm

"Going north is usually faster than going south," Gusai replies, "given prevailing winds. With a good wind and no other stops, you're looking at a week, maybe ten dayss sail from Stag lands to Spider, and twice that going the other way.

"But then," he adds, "winds aren't always good. Count on half again as much, on average."

~~~~~
Estimates based on admittedly sloppy math; GM advice and correction would be appreciated.
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:09 pm

"Still shorter then the trip by foot." Ayano nodded, "But given the times...I imagine one must never leave port empty. Do you trade up the coast, or just sail to one port? I imagine one could increase profits by carefully conducting a series of trade missions with the goal of trading a previous good for what you wish to carry to the next port."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 pm

"It's not many who're of a mind to ask about such things," Gusai replies. Then he smiles. "I'm glad you do!

"You're right that shipping usually goes port to port to port up and down the coast, trading for, say, tea in one port and taking that up to trade it for honey, and on up the coast. For some goods, though, there are more direct trips, with some receiving multiple trips annually. Shiro Akodo, for one, gets a lot of direct traffic."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:43 pm

"All the more reason to stabilize trade...I imagine one of the worst fates for you is to travel with an empty ship." Ayano blinked, "...if I may ask what did you bring up to port when you sailed with the goal of coming here? And are your crew still plying the routes without you?"

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:17 am

"Actually, the trip here was something of a command performance," Gusai replies. "We shipped with the materials to conduct the embassy here, save for draught animals. Crew was instructed to await our return, since the Lady Hantei and the young lord will need conveyance."

He shrugs.

"Of course, if they've gotten other orders from higher up, they'll obey, but that's not something I can attest from here.

"But I'd imagine your own holdings are operating similarly?"
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:37 pm

"Mother and Lord Akodo value order and discipline greatly," Ayano nods solemnly.

"Still...seems to be a losing proposition for them. What do you sailors do between voyages?"

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:28 am

"Some will find local work," Gusai replies. "Others, ah, enjoy what port towns have to offer--and so find themselves needing more work soon. Depending on the port, there might be visits to family. Almost always prayers to Suitengu. Much as I'm told landlubbers do between assignments, if with slightly different focus.

"But we try not to be in port for long at a time, except at the home port."
Otomo Gusai

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:57 pm

"Best to have your return plans in place before even heading out then." Ayano nodded, then shook her head, "...so that is what some of the coastal dwellers meant by a ship in port. I guess for most of the peddlers it was a great time to trade when a bunch of bored sailors visit their town."

Otomo Gusai

Post by Otomo Gusai » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:07 pm

"Oh, yes!" Gusai replies with some enthusiasm. "There're always hands looking for gifts for home, that kind of thing. And fancy clothes for wearing in port, too; aboard, you don't dress up so much, but ashore, well, you've got to look your best."
Otomo Gusai