[D5 LM] Studies in Practical Spiritualism

Hisomu Susumu

[D5 LM] Studies in Practical Spiritualism

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 pm

Susumu is again using the study area to prepare a meeting, and as before, he seems to have set the scene: sake bottle and cups out on the table, and a scroll with a map of the Empire close at hand as he lounges.

At least this meeting comes with the path already a touch beaten

Word had reached him through Kuni that the Bat were already intersted in an exchange program with their priesthoods. This could be another step forward in negotiating the terms. And...perhaps more.
Spider | Bushi...and Courtier? Nani?!? | "Representative" of the Brood (Ninube and Reo's kids) | Surprisingly high ranked
Carries: Daisho, Yumi, Sturdy Clothing, Light Armor, Straw Cloak

Ryoshun Rei

Re: [D5 LM] Studies in Practical Spiritualism

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Rei soon arrived, with a small white pig beside her.

"Good morning." she offered a polite bow.
Bat Clan πŸ¦‡ Heir πŸ¦‡ Ishiken πŸ¦‡ Void πŸ¦‡ Spirit Guide πŸ¦‡ Ethereal πŸ¦‡ Pale πŸ¦‡ Lost in Thought πŸ¦‡ Engineer
Status 4 βšͺ Glory 3 βšͺ Honor: Untrustworthy

Carries: Tanto, Divination Kit, Medicine Kit, Lantern, Parchment, Seal, Water
Accompanied By: Hen

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 pm

Susumu rises and offers a bow. "Thank you for meeting with me Ryoshun-sama. May I pour you something to drink? I know it's a tad early, but I think I have had enough tea for a little while"
Spider | Bushi...and Courtier? Nani?!? | "Representative" of the Brood (Ninube and Reo's kids) | Surprisingly high ranked

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:01 am

"Please, Hisomu-san, I would enjoy that." she nodded.
Bat Clan πŸ¦‡ Heir πŸ¦‡ Ishiken πŸ¦‡ Void πŸ¦‡ Spirit Guide πŸ¦‡ Ethereal πŸ¦‡ Pale πŸ¦‡ Lost in Thought πŸ¦‡ Engineer

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:31 am

Susumu pours out the sake into cups and raises one in a greeting. "May the Fortunes be with us."

He motions that he intends to sit.

"First, I would like to thank you for the basic agreement in principle that I have heard of: that we would look to exchange prospective students. I believe both of our Clans share a well founded fear that Jigoku will turn its attentions to new targets and that we would like to be prepared. "

" In furtherance of that, I was hoping that we could work out the particulars so that I have a proposal to submit to Hisomu-dono upon our return...and while we are at it, I am hoping to see what can be arranged for both of our Clans to flourish from more, let's call them "mundane" threats"

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:40 pm

"Hai." she nodded. "It was fortunate that Hisomu-kami could be rescued and the passage into Jigoku could be sealed. But, it would be foolish to believe that it or the other darker realms could no longer threaten us."

"Did you have any specifics in mind?"

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:25 pm

"As for the exchange of students, I can see a few options: first, selecting one student every year for an exchange, to return home when they complete their education. That would likely be the most complete, but would require quite a bit of faith and investment by a Clan into one they know to be returning home. It would also require an extensive stay away from their Clan and families."

"Another option would be opening our schools for lessons for period of time, perhaps the final few seasons or a year of their education as a way to study abroad. Students would likely still hew toward their home school, but may find a different path and invest more time to master another school instead, or perhaps both."

"As for things in general? I see..." Susumu's gaze grows distant for a moment. "I see a group of neighbors, all of whom have their struggles. Those along the northern border have, in my estimation at least, a more tenuous position than the others. We not only have need to worry about incursion, as the Crab are stretched then along a lengthy border, but as we expand, we see wealthier Clans who already have ties to each other other. I can see the shape of a northern Confederation, still a part of the Empire, but a group of allies who can present a unified front and help each other grow by providing resources they have in abundance. I have already met with representatives of the Dragon and the Crab, and I believe that they have things that they seek, and which they are willing to offer. So far, the deals would prospectively include the Spider in some way, but the opening of borders to representatives would at least start something."

"What are your thoughts on the matter?"

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:08 am

"I've spoken with the Crab. " she nodded. "And, we are already close with the Dragon."

"Most of our teachings provide a foundation for individuals to build upon. The exception would be the Spirit Guides, which might interest Hisomu Kuni-san." she said after a moment of thought. "We'd be willing to train anyone with the gift of the Void, of course. Would learning our crafts interest you? Or, Agasha's style of magic?"

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:27 am

"To me, personally?" Susumu shakes his head. "I am afraid that the the spirits have taken no interest in me. I was examined carefully, and I have no knack for it. I unfortunately also lack the temperment to hone a craft as finely as your artisans. With that said" Susumu pulls out his wakizashi, sliding it across the table hilt first. "I am positive that many of those inclined to learn from your priests would be ecstatic to do so. I know firsthand the value of the work of a Ryoshun smith. My weapons were crafted by Hisomu Mai, once Ryoshun Mai. Even among a group that prides itself on work with great crafts, and a rigorous experimentation with materials, when it comes to technique you are acknowledged as the greatest weaponsmiths in the Empire"

"This is only a quick sketch of what I am proposing, but if you have been looking at arrangements yourself, then hopefully your findings are the same as mine: the Dragon lands have likely the least room for growing fields of the Empire, and are willing to make exports to hold off starvation while they work out long term solutions. The Crab are without allies and long term ties to their new lands, and seem to dearly demonstrate that they can be trusted and prove their honor.

"So...if I might ask: what might you want out of such an arrangement?"

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:48 am

"We lack any formal martial or social training." she admitted. "Our warriors are self taught or came from the remnants of the tribes."

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Susumu nods. That had been his own assessment as well, but it was something else to hear it directly from the source.

"I don't know whatever arrangement you had with the Crab, but I believe they are the superior martial force at the moment. In terms of social protection, the Spider are similarly learning as we go. But in that regard, I would think that my own personal talents should be extended on your behalf if we come to an arrangement."

"As a long term solution, perhaps we can see if the other clans are similarly interested in taking students from each other's Clans. That is, if we are going to consider it opened to all who join the accords"

"This does require a lot of trust, at least at first. So, I would your honest thoughts on whether such an arrangement for multiple clans has hope of lasting, or even beginning?"

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:44 pm

"I think such an arrangement could be beneficial." she answered. "Whether such an alliance can be formed, however, I'm unsure of. The Bat are fairly open to working with any of the clans. Our numbers come from many of the tribes, individuals who did not follow their people into the other clans, any animosity or preconceptions they might have had regarding one another have faded with time. But, I am not sure if that is true of the tribes that remained together and followed the other Kami."

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:39 pm

"The Spider are similar in that we come from a smattering of tribes, and therefore have little predeliction based off of tribal politics." Susumu tilts his head slightly. "A few more present ones, but none that would apply to the current groups."

"I would propose to meet with everyone sometime in the coming days. Would you join us?"

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 pm

"I would like that." she nodded. "It would be ideal to hear from everyone and share ideas and concerns together."

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:11 pm

"Excellent." Susumu nods. "I will reach out to those I have already spoken to. Please feel free any who you believe would be interested"

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:23 pm

She shook her head. "I think it is best to involve only those you have in mind, for now. If we wish to reach out to others, we can after we have an initial idea of what we can accomplish."

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:47 pm

"Very good. Those were all of the matters of business I had planned. If you stay to chat, I would be happy for the company though."

Susumu had not spent a great deal of time with her yet, but it was easy to see that the Ryoshun heir was a great beauty

"How has your trip been so far? I don't pretend to know of may Clans inner workings, but I know that my own parents begin to talk about finding me a spouse every time one of these takes place."

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:54 pm

"The trip was uneventful, but somewhat exciting. This is the furthestvi'vevtraveled from home." she explained, then nodded at the latter comment. "My mother has said similar things, and I am sure that will continue as more of my cousins marry."

Hisomu Susumu

Post by Hisomu Susumu » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 pm

"I am sure that as an heir, the expectations are even greater. My condolences." Susumu sips his drink. "That is one advantage of my situation I suppose. This is my first time away from home as well. It seems that the new generation has been offered the chance to show their worth. I certainly cannot complain about the company I have found."

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:59 am

"You've enjoyed your time here so far, then?" she smiled. "That's good. I imagine the weather affected the plans many had for the season."