[D3, LE] Kingdoms and Empires

Hantei Kinsen

[D3, LE] Kingdoms and Empires

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:24 pm

This was definitely not her place, yet, it potentially had the things she would need to understand more of these newly found neighbors. Specially about their cosmetics.
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Re: [D3, LE] Kingdoms and Empires

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:49 am

Viveki arrives before too long, and happily takes a seat at a table as she settles down. "Good evening, Hantei Kinsen. Thank you for meeting with me once more."
Ivindi • Merchant • Dangerous Beauty • Trustworthy Foreigner • Kami-Resistant • Rich AF

Speaking: Rhuumal, Nezumi, Senpet

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:13 am

“I am the one thankful, instead. The opportunity to get to know better such a mysterious guest is a rare jewel.” Kinsen says while opening a smile.

Looking around, she points out, “I chose this place mainly since it carries much of the knowledge we managed to gather from our early Empire. Not that I am such an scholar, but the idea of this place is quite suggestive.”
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 am

"It does seem appropriate," she agrees. "There were a few scrolls of interest when I looked through them yesterday. I have to admit, though, your peoples' poetry is somewhat lost on me."
Ivindi • Merchant • Dangerous Beauty • Trustworthy Foreigner • Kami-Resistant • Rich AF

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 am

"Oh, we also share that in common. How amusing." Kinsen smiles, being that art one of the few things she didn't have much patience to delve into. "What is that you connected most with in our culture, so far?"

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:44 am

"At this point, it isn difficult to say." She takes a moment to ponder the question. "I appreciate that everyone is interested in expanding their knowledge and learning more about the world. Thus far, the curiosity and drive of your people has been quite noteworthy, at least among those who have spoken with me."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 am

The Stag considers that perception with a rub on her chin, and says, "Our Emperor is considered the wisest of the siblings. It makes sense."

Fetching something from her sleeve pocket, Kinsen produces a small bundle and offers it with both hands to Viveki. Uncovering it she finds a small vial with red colored liquid inside. "Please, allow me to offer you a gift from the Stag, since we are indeed the first Clan your people in the south would encounter after the Nezumi, and that makes us closer still."

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Viveki looks at the vial, then furrows her brow. "Is this a situation where one would refuse the gift twice? It is very difficult trying to discern when that particular custom applies."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 am

Kinsen nods with a side grin. "It is."

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 pm

"Then I could not accept, as your people have already shown me great hospitality."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 pm

Kinsen nods. "Yet, I insist. Since it shows my genuine intention to gift you something, regardless of your polite refusal. It is something that I treasure, the nail paint, and that I believe would be rather beautiful in Viveki-san's delicate hands."

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Viveki nods her head. "Yes, but I would not want to take something you treasure from your hands. It would be better to keep it."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Kinsen smiles. "Yet friendship is a far more valuable treasure to keep, and I would gladly gift something I have away knowing it will be rightly used in –– literally –– the hands of a sympathetic acquaintance."

The Lady of the Stag offers the gift for the third time with her both hands, "Please accept. I would do me great honor."

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:01 pm

"I shall accept, thank you." She carefully picks up the vial. "I am curious, if both people know the gift is to be refused twice, then are they not being insincere in their offers and refusals?"

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:08 am

“That is a good question. Yet I don’t believe it is the intention. If one does not accept after three times, means they are polite, honorable, but do not want anything with whomever is trying to befriend them. It is not impolite, it just might be a slight to someone else’s honor.” She says, reminding herself of Doji’s lessons.

Which se adds up, “It also gives you the opportunity to test someone’s needs, and even ambitions. One that is too eager to accept, might be too quick to betray.”

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 pm

"Perhaps, but would they not also refuse twice as is custom?" She turns the vial over in her hands as she speaks. "In my country, there is a saying that only one you trust can betray you."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 pm

"They could cover their deceit using false courtesy, yes. Their soul though, and the Heavens would mark the dishonor upon him, or worse, his family." She mentions nodding to the saying Viveki mentioned. "Those are indeed wise words. Yet, the benefit of the doubt is the only currency we can use to gain someone's favor and support."

She chuckles, "I won't deny, I called you here to understand more of your people. Your outfit, colors and stories fascinated me when we first met. You're so very different from us, and yet, so well-mannered, polite and intelligent. I would be amiss if I simply ignored the benefits you and your people might have to be of application in our early Empire."

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:09 am

Viveki inclines her head at the compliment. "I promise you, we have many idiots and rude fools among my people. Fortunately, they rarely cast their ambitions beyond our borders."

She spreads her hands out in front of her. "However, I am a merchant, and a merchant does not make money by being rude or stubborn. The best agreements, I have found, are based not upon honor or trust or love, but mutual self-interest. A man can lose his honor or betray those who trust him or fall out of love, but very few will actively work against their best interests."

A smile tugs at her lips. "That being said, it is much more pleasing to work with those who are not brutes or idiots, is it not?"

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 am

Kinsen pays attention to Viveki's disturbing lack of faith in honor and does squint her eyes. It reminds herself of the old tribes saying similar things. Yet, she nods at the gaijin's question, replying. "Certainly. I've had my fair share of both brutes and idiots to deal with. It is way better negotiating with those seeking benefits for all sides."

With a smile, the Lady of the Stag mentions, "In time, if Viveki-san may find solace in our ways, she'll see that the solidification of mutual self-interest is, in fact, honor. It is what binds agreements together, in harmony. A reminder that there are consequences for those that break their oath, since honor begets justice."

TN to be recognized is 0

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 pm

"Again, mutual self-interest. If we had a trade deal, it would be in my best interest to honor the terms, because to do so would lose me an influential client. You would speak to others of my untrustworthy nature, and they would be less inclined to do business with me. Thus, it is in my best interest to honor my word."

She motions to Kinsen. "Just as it would be in your interest to do the same. If you did not keep your word, I would likely choose to instead do business with one who would, thus placing you at a disadvantage. I have seen many would-be rulers brought low because they disrespected a merchant, only for the merchant to begin selling exclusively with their enemies."

Viveki shrugs her shoulders. "I do not know enough about your specific concept of honor, but if it is as you say, then it is a good foundation for future business. It is good to have friends, my father says, but it is better to have friends that you have made very wealthy."