Hoarfrost and Herbals [D3 LM, open]

Bayushi Kogi

Re: Hoarfrost and Herbals [D3 LM, open]

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:36 pm

Kogi's brows draw together. "Hm. That sounds like a path it's better not to explore." All the more reason to remember it could be a possibility, though.
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:19 pm

"Well, seeking to understand it I think is fine. Knowledge and power are not inherently bad, only their application. If one were to try to learn how to counteract poisons and diseases, one would likely come to understand how to use such things offensively as well. You likely know many medicinal herbs that are toxic when misused. Having knowledge of that fact, is what helps you know how to heal such poisoning if it is necessary."
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:36 pm

"Hm, well, there is some relationship between the two. It's not always that simple."

Kogi adds, after considering her words for a few beats, "Just like a surgeon who knows how to sew up a sword cut might not have much skill in causing those injuries. In honesty, I would have to place myself in that category... I don't have much facility with the sword, any more than with the open hand."
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 am

"True, but I imagine that you are knowledgeable about where the most dangerous places to be cut are. And how to cut away flesh that has been irreparably damaged by rot. A cut is not always meant to do more harm than good. There happens to be overlap in knowledge of where cuts happen to be most dangerous, though the purpose and technique of such cuts are drastically different," Kuu suggests.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:41 am

"Of course, yes," Kogi repeats her tempered agreement with this idea. She unfolds a narrow finger to trace the manuscript illustration again. "I'd rather find new cures than new poisons among these northern plants, though."

Another thought occurs, and she looks back over at Kuu. "So what did you come to the library to read about, Monk Kuu? Heroes?"
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:24 am

"Actually, I came to scribe. I have hastily written notes from the storytellers last night and I am writing out the tales more fully and legibly," he explains.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm

"Oh. That makes sense... the light is not bad here for writing." Kogi nods. "It's chilly if one sits a long time, but..." a little shake of her head and a soft laugh, "not a problem for you, Monk Kuu. All the tales last night were worth your saving, then?"
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:31 pm

"Not all. Some were incoherent and difficult to follow, but those that I was able to keep proper notes on definitely will be," he says with a shrug. "Storytelling can be a difficult art, but I don't discourage others from telling their stories. You only get better by practicing."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:09 am

"It takes some bravery to show off a complete beginner's practice in public, though," Kogi says. "Or... something."
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:00 am

"Like all performances, it is much harder to gauge how well you've done if you practice by yourself. It really requires an audience in order to tell how well you've done, even if it's only an audience of one. If I write or draw something, I can better see what is off about it, but observing the results of a story I told from an outside perspective is not something a person can do on their own."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:30 am

"I suppose. But that's what a sensei is for. Or one or two friends." She shakes her head a little. "Perhaps I'm just not courageous in that way."
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 am

"Well, that's not such a bad thing. Some people are more reserved than others. Not everyone is a fervent storyteller at heart. Even among the order, where we are taught storytelling, there are those that prefer to share stories one on one with those they are teaching, advising or conversing with."

"Content, presentation and coherence can be difficult to bring together. Most are good at content, especially when drawing from real life. It's the presentation and coherence that take more practice."