Research! [D1, LA]

Hisomu Fumi

Re: Research! [D1, LA]

Post by Hisomu Fumi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:02 am
"The only one I have encountered that used to be of the size of the Empire is the Ratlings. And they are re-growing, but suffered greatly first. Mostly, it is smaller tribes, in small areas. But there are also areas that have no humans at all, only animals. Areas I was warned off of by flights of arrows from what looked like snakes with arms. Areas where the Cats seemed to be intelligent. Areas where those that might be related to the Ongaku still exist - and are angry. Areas where there is nothing but danger. Areas where the human tribes have disappeared from one year to the next, with no cause I could see."
"I've only seen a Ratling once, briefly, as it travelled through our lands. Interesting how big and powerful they are. Mai-sama apparently learned how to work steel from them." She paused, "snakes with arms? Hrm... I wish I could draw better while listening to your descriptions. Their bodies are likely vastly different from ours but I don't know how much knowledge exists on them."

"Intelligent cats?! I don't know if I'd want Sho-kun any more intelligent than he already is. That one gets into trouble often. At least, cats are small and fear water." She seemed both amused and concerned.

"The Ongaku are... unique. I have wanted to meet one and ask how they may differ from us besides the horns. Their bodies may sustain injuries differently and require special treatments. Though, they may not be so open with that knowledge."
Hisomu Fumi
Spider Clan * Bushi
Status 1.0* Glory 1.0 * Honor: Untrustworthy
Carries: parchment and charcoal, medicine kit sometimes followed by a cat named Sho

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:51 am

"Hai. One of my thoughts when you first stated what you were trying to study was that one that wished to do injury could study your works as well, to better damage others. And, with non-humans, they would have the same issues. Not wanting us, who might be enemies at some point, wouldn't want such information available."

"I couldn't tell you more about the snakes - I only saw the one, but there were enough arrows for at least 5, by my best guess."

"The cats didn't seem to mind water - I encountered them, among other places, near a lake, and they were swimming in it. They couldn't talk, but seemed to understand me, and directed me away. And I say cats, but their shoulder's were the heights of my waist."
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 2 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Hisomu Fumi

Post by Hisomu Fumi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:47 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:51 am
"Hai. One of my thoughts when you first stated what you were trying to study was that one that wished to do injury could study your works as well, to better damage others. And, with non-humans, they would have the same issues. Not wanting us, who might be enemies at some point, wouldn't want such information available."

"I couldn't tell you more about the snakes - I only saw the one, but there were enough arrows for at least 5, by my best guess."

"The cats didn't seem to mind water - I encountered them, among other places, near a lake, and they were swimming in it. They couldn't talk, but seemed to understand me, and directed me away. And I say cats, but their shoulder's were the heights of my waist."
"Yes, I am aware the depth of my study could have some unsavory applications, though I am sure the same is true of many arts. To strengthen and protect, one must learn to evaluate weaknesses. I imagine even your prayers could be twisted unwholesomely by one so cruel."

"I know little about snakes, besides the ones that appear among the crops seem sluggish in the cold. Then again, I have little skill with animals. Perhaps Lady Shinjo's people with their affinity for animals, albeit horses may have some insight."

She shook her head, "that cat sounds massive. I would fear the claws. Even Shun, as small as he is, has quite the ability to rend flesh with his little prickly ones."

"Speaking of Lady Shinjo and claws," she slid over a scroll about the expedition. "Look here, there are notes about one of the great Kami, Shinjo herself in the form of the Ki-rin being damaged by a claw wound of a monster." She shook her head, still in disbelief. "There are powerful threats out there that are a danger even to the Kami."
Hisomu Fumi
Spider Clan * Bushi
Carries: parchment and charcoal, medicine kit sometimes followed by a cat named Sho

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:51 am

His face grows a strange expression of weariness and regret. "Hai, a dangerous wound. And the spirits would not answer strongly enough, so she retained a scar, even in her human form." He shakes his head. "I do wish I had more affinity to water, that it might have worked better then."
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 2 • Jade • Earth • Granite

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Hisomu Fumi

Post by Hisomu Fumi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:07 am

Fumi took a note of what he said on one of her parchments. "Do you think there were other factors at play as to why they would not answer you or the severity of the wound? Perhaps the nature of the monster's claws? Some more mundane wounds fester rapidly, the injured becoming fevered and ill. A monster may be able to do so to greater extent?"
Hisomu Fumi
Spider Clan * Bushi

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:37 am

"This was literally, and I cannot emphasize that enough, outside a gate to a Realm of evil, that was slowly closing, and that had been corrupting the area around it for years. Some days I wonder that I got as much answer as I did. Others, of course, I wish for more."

Hisomu Fumi

Post by Hisomu Fumi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:37 am
"This was literally, and I cannot emphasize that enough, outside a gate to a Realm of evil, that was slowly closing, and that had been corrupting the area around it for years. Some days I wonder that I got as much answer as I did. Others, of course, I wish for more."
"So you think it was not the monster but the gate?" She mulled over the thought a bit. "You did as much as you were able. Second guessing it will only cause you to hesitate going forward."
Hisomu Fumi
Spider Clan * Bushi

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 am

"For the most part, that is what I believe. But, on occasion, in the darkest of times, it can be hard to believe." He shakes his head. "The wounds, as I recall, was on her leg. Her husband was rent all along his side, and was in the form of a Dragon; when he returned to human form, it ran from the place his ear was, down over his neck, and all along the side to his ankle."

Hisomu Fumi

Post by Hisomu Fumi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:23 am

Fumi continued her notations. "What form did the monster take? Is it something you have seen elsewhere in your travels we should worry about?"
Hisomu Fumi
Spider Clan * Bushi

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 am

"I did not arrive till it had been, according to the others, sucked back into the Realm of evil, when the gate was closed. It was large - I could see it as I approached, from a ways away, but I couldn't see it clearly - a Ki Rin and a Dragon were fighting it, and not on a winning side."

Hisomu Fumi

Post by Hisomu Fumi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:26 pm

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 am
"I did not arrive till it had been, according to the others, sucked back into the Realm of evil, when the gate was closed. It was large - I could see it as I approached, from a ways away, but I couldn't see it clearly - a Ki Rin and a Dragon were fighting it, and not on a winning side."
"Was any of the creature recovered? If not I understand. I imagine carrying such a thing could be dangerous. Still to know things exist that can hold back a Ki-rin and a Dragon is frightening. Where do we mortal men fall in such conflicts?" She shook her head. "At least you and I are scholars, able to record and share knowledge."
Hisomu Fumi
Spider Clan * Bushi

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:12 pm

"I saw nothing of it, not even blood. It was not losing, and if it did lose any blood, that too was drawn in as the Gate closed."