[D1, LA] Ivindi Soak

Kuu

Re: [D1, LA] Ivindi Soak

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:09 am

"Yes and no. As a monk I am servant to the heavens and to the people of the Empire in general. But not in service to any specific person or group other than my order," he says with a friendly smile. "I am not a samurai. I don't follow any samurai's orders other than the emperor, but I do defer to their expectations when they are in the interests of heaven and the empire."
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:14 am

"That seems like a difficult position," Viveki admits, her brow furrowed somewhat. "I do not mean to offer offense, but in the interest of understanding, this would mean that this... monk order... would be beneath that of samurai, but above that of servant? Would that be an accurate way of looking at it?"
Ivindi • Merchant • Dangerous Beauty • Trustworthy Foreigner • Kami-Resistant • Rich AF

Speaking: Rhuumal, Nezumi, Senpet

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:16 am

"I... do not know that it is accurate... but I do not know that it is inaccurate either." She taps her chin. "I cannot imagine I would ever have reason or cause to give order to Kuu-san, for example. But I would think that there is a sense of mutual deference between the two of us."
Spider | Bushi | Swordswoman | Idealist | Kind | Kouhai
Honor: A Soul Above Question | Status: 1 | Glory: 3

Carries: katana, fashionable kimono, fancy hat with silk veil, sake cup.

Companion: Shuri, cat.

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:27 am

"To make things more complicated, you would likely get different answers from different monks," he says with a chuckle. "If Hisomu-sama were to request aid with a blessing or purification, I would want to help because I have chosen this life, and would be compelled to help because it is from heaven such things are granted. But I would not be bound to help by any laws of the empire."

"It would likely average out to that though. I myself consider my position to be adjacent to servants. We are not better than or above them, but we are not answerable to any but the Emperor and his laws. In fact, it is not uncommon for traveling monks to be offered hospitality by people of any rank. I have slept in the finest castle in Dragon lands and in a hut with a family cramped around a fire in winter. But a monks home is on the road or in a temple."

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:35 am

Viveki considers this in silence for a few moments. "I find your position to be very strange, Kuu, but thank you for explaining it to me. In my land, the divisions between social... levels?... is much more strict and defined. But then, your empire is still young, so perhaps the distinctions will become more pronounced as things settle into place."

Glancing behind her, she finds a place to lean back against a stone wall. "Are you required to travel without a home? It seems strange that you can speak with the gods to offer blessings, but you are not provided with lodgings appropriate to your importance. Or is it more than the temples serve as your homes when you are not traveling?"
Ivindi • Merchant • Dangerous Beauty • Trustworthy Foreigner • Kami-Resistant • Rich AF

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:40 am

Ayeka leans back, listening to Kuu's explanations with interest. It's fairly clear she doesn't have much experience with monks, so this is very much a learning experience for her as well.

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:47 am

"The temples are our homes. There are not many now, but they are being built as castles and cities rise. As a scribe I spend most of my time in temples and libraries, being on the road only to get to other temples and libraries. I tend to the needs of those I come across between locations."

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 am

She nods thoughtfully. "How is it that the samurai tell you apart from servants, when you are traveling?" Viveki motions toward Ayeka. "The samurai carry blades, and the servants have none, correct? How does one tell a person is a monk?"

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:01 am

"Most of the time, probably behavior. I walked in to the baths and sat down. A servant would not do so here without invitation. We carry ourselves differently most of the time with practiced humility rather than deferential subservience."

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:03 am

Viveki tilts her head to one side. "How does one practice humility?"

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:08 am

"Very frequently," he replies with a chuckle. "We recognize the importance of the social order, and understand that pride most useful for inspiring those that answer to you. None answer to monks, so pride would be misplaced. We try to understand our place in the world and strive to fulfill our duties without assumption."

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:19 am

"Humility is a lesson that can be remembered by Samurai as well as monks, I think," Ayeka suggests. "We are, at the end of the day, servants of a fashion ourselves. We serve the Emperor, and the Empire. Our name means 'To Serve.' I hope that is not lost upon those who carry the title."

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:34 am

"That is true, humility has it's place in every person's heart. But pride in the Empire that we serve is an important thing for those below to see in those above. It inspires pride in ones work, which can be a happy and rewarding thing."

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:03 am

"But this was not the way of your people until recently, yes?" She looks between the two of them. "Until after the Kami fell from the sky?"

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:05 am

"The ways before were disparate and many. The Kami united us, and taught us how to be better. So much of what is true, I think, is still being learned."

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:12 am

"Indeed. I've grown up learning these lessons. I was born after they arrived and the empire is only barely younger than me. I don't really remember a time before it. Though I do remember the time before my order was founded. So, the way of my people is the way of the Empire."

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:19 am

"It is certainly a very exciting time for you to be alive. Here, at the dawn of your Empire, you can create the traditions and teachings that will be picked up by generations to come." Viveki smiles warmly. "It is my hope that your Empire thrives and grows to equal that of the Ivory Kingdoms. It is also my hope that my people can assist you in doing this. The Ivory Kingdoms has a long past, filled with triumphs and joy, but also failure and great sorrow. We have learned much, and from what I have seen thus far, I do not see any reason why our people cannot be friends."

She raises her hands, running warm water over her hair, which was starting to frost up a bit. "But I understand that all great friendships must begin cautiously, and I do not speak for my nation, only a large family of merchants. I will do my part, and when I return home, we shall see what blossoms from the seeds being sown here." She looks back to the two of them, smiling once more. "Nevertheless, it is quite exciting, is it not? To know that there are others, far away on the other side of the world, that have so much in common with you?"

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 am

"To be able to learn the lessons of those who have come before is a wisdom that we would benefit from greatly, and I hope that we have plenty enough to offer in return." Ayeka nods genuinely. "I cannot speak for any but myself, of course, but I believe it is quite exciting to be able to host you for this event, Viveki-san."

Viveki Doshi

Post by Viveki Doshi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 am

"Thank you," she says, smiling warmly at the other woman. "It is my hope that once the snows thaw, I will be able to see more of your Empire and speak with more of your leaders. A trade route would be beneficial to both of your people, but I would not wish to make enemies by approaching the wrong family too soon."

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:42 am

"The right family, in any measure, would be the family of the Son of Heaven. When the Crab and the Nezumi were in conflict, the Emperor ended it and had the Crab relocate their entire clan. If he or his representatives were to agree to a trade route then even if someone didn't wish to trade they wouldn't be able to stop it."