LA 5 - While Enlightenment is Recorded (Expecting)

Nozomi

LA 5 - While Enlightenment is Recorded (Expecting)

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:57 pm

Nozomi needed a breather, so when she'd seen the opportunity, she had sent a messenger to request an audience with someone who, frankly, she did not expect to see beyond the most expected periods of the court. She prayed that Fukurokujin would guide the hand of another in terms of recording the document, and it was good that Shinsei's child would be witness to its recording, but whatever thoughts that were going on, they were beyond her for the moment. She had needed years to learn the little that she did. She would need years more to learn anything beyond that.

But she suspected the Crane she sent the message to was no different. If she was at all like her father, what was discussed there would not be something that was a focus. So, she quietly waited, seated, as tea was brought out into the dining area, for the daughter of Nanzi to arrive. Even if she could not understand the infinite, there were preparations to be made that were more ... earthly in nature.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Doji Dojihime

Re: LA 5 - While Enlightenment is Recorded (Expecting)

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:12 am

Flanked by servants relating news of the day, Dojihime listened and then once satisfied waved them off with her fan, it depicted a white raven on a blue background and her seven layers allowed her to portray the theme of snow and woodlands in design and colors. Muted but not to the point that it was somber, resting lightly on her shoulder was a white raven that she fed small snacks too.

She approached and raised her hand to allow her pet to move to her waiting wrist and she bowed to the woman who had made the request and then said, “Nozomi-san, it is a pleasure to meet with you. I hope that the presence of Fuyuhime will not be too distracting. She is well behaved.”

Dojihime smiled and patted the raven gently as she waited to see what the appointment was about.
Fabulous Princess | WAP | Tall | Dreadlocks | Dark Skin | White Raven
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:21 am

Nozomi returned the bow with precise measure. She didn't have a lot of experience with courtly matters, but she'd learned enough in having spent time dealing with this woman's father and Kinsen to realize the importance with some clans of keeping things exact and appropriate. Rising once it was proper, "Of course not, Doji-sama. I am sure she will prove no distraction," she said, keeping her tone respectful. "I hope that the proceedings have found you well, despite the unexpected snows."

They'd get to business soon enough, but she recalled it was good to at least follow through with pleasantries. "How are your honored father and mother? I haven't spoken with your father..." since they'd gone south past the river. "In many years."
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 am

"Father is well, but his duties to the alliance have consumed his time. Mother, despite the vicious rumors, is well and attending to the many demands of leading our clan. I am honored to act as her executor. What of yourself, do people of your calling have family?" She responded.
Status: 4.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 0 | Honor: Exceptional | Description | Themes
Possessions: Fabulous Clothing, Fashionable Things, White Raven, Blue Courtier's Fan

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 am

"That is good to hear. Should you speak with him, send him my regards," she said, her tone mild. She imagined he'd be surprised to hear from her. "And I try not to pay attention to gossip much. People like to talk, and they will find excuses to do so quite easily. It is good to hear that your mother is well." Despite not having much of an enlightened spirit at present, she certainly was doing a decent job of phrasing things about the rumors regarding Doji's health, or the fact that she may have heard one of her clansmen speak rather differently on the subject. In the end, it wasn't something she felt needed to be discussed here. She was no doctor, and the fortunes only knew what was going on there. "I will pray that the both of them remain in good health, for the sake of your people."

"The Order is permitted to have family, yes, though I am unwed. I have a daughter, who was born before the Order itself was established. Young Mayumi chooses to listen at the master's feet and heed the words of a Kami and the Little Teacher. She's always had a thirst for knowledge and understanding."

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:28 am

That took her off guard as she fed a treat to her dear white raven. Dojihime said, “I was not aware that people of your calling or order were allowed to have family. Being a mother is a beautiful journey or so says the elder women of our clan. One day I am sure I will know such joy as is my Duty, but you have my respect.”

“A third for knowledge is a beautiful trait,” she said kindly trying to avoid the obvious strange features of the cursed woman.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:34 am

It was weirdly refreshing to have someone looking in such a way as to show their discomfort at the pallor of her skin. Sometimes people tried to insist that she was pretty, but this was the reaction that Nozomi was more accustomed to. She knew it was a little alarming. It made social interactions difficult, and her red eyes bred distrust. But in the end, they were just surface elements.

"I would not say it is recommended in the order. We share that too much attachment to this world and life breeds pain and disharmony. Sometimes, even in a happy home it can happen. However, when we were in the earliest stages, it was felt that different brothers and sisters might be gifted in different ways in their walk. And so marriage is permitted. But it is uncommon enough that I am never surprised to hear that others were not aware. In truth, we are still so new that there is much many in the empire do not know of us. Something I hope to remedy." She leaned back and steepled her fingers. "As you said, to yearn to learn is a good thing. It help us to grow in our service of the celestial order, fulfilling our place in it, yes?" She knew all too well how rigidly certain clans viewed that wheel's roles. It didn't hurt to at least acknowledge it in speaking with this woman.

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:41 am

“Your Order exists outside the Celestial Order to my understanding, but I will admit that I do not fully understand what it is that you do or why you exist. What is this Order? Is it the same as the Order of Heroes? What is your philosophy and goals? These are questions that I hope you can provide some guidance or answers on,” she said, turning to her white raven.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:16 am

That solicited not exactly a frown so much as a studious look. If you asked a clan what the celestial order was, you could expect different answers. Among the Crane, Lion and Stag, it would be rigid, reminiscent of her conversations she'd had with Kinsen. If one asked the Spider, the Dragon or Crab, the answer might be very different and might even vary from person to person. It was gaining traction, and she foresaw the vision that the Stag held winning out in some fashion, but it was a tricky thing.

"Is anything that is of Ningen-do, Yomi or Tengoku ever truly outside of the Celestial Order, Doji-sama? I certainly consider myself under the guidance and protection, and service of our Emperor, and through his divine presence, the heavens themselves. We are not concerned with status, in the sense of seeking greater standing or lesser. We serve, where the Emperor permits us the freedom to serve, and where we have been given leave to establish a monastery." She tapped her lips and her gaze didn't quite meet the Doji's eyes, keeping demurely a little downcast. "We are but humble servants. Many are skilled in crafts and trades, more still are skilled in tilling the land, and all are trained in the arts of education and the sharing of the oral traditions of the empire, in helping each to serve to their utmost in the role that they exist within the Order. To help them in being the fulfillment of their potential as servants of the empire."

That was, in so far as she understood matters with their being permitted to establish their first monastery, accurate. While they sought enlightenment, the Order of Heroes was pragmatic in nature, and it was comprised of peasantry, probably above the peasants, and yet not of the rank of samurai.

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:08 am

She considered that and sat in silence and fed her raven another treat and said, “So is that what you seek, a chance to build a monastery in the lands of the Crane?”

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:22 am

"If we had the opportunity to be of aid and service to the people the Crane preside over, and to aid the service of all of the empire, then we would be glad for it." The only reason she wouldn't put it quite so directly was that she was talking to Nanzi's daughter. "If a chance to build a monastery, and to support the Celestial Order in your lands existed, we would consider it a privilege to serve."

A pause. "But, in turn. May I ask. None have need of anything with our Emperor on the throne. But good servants ought know how they can best serve those tasked to protect the lands they are placed over with their lives. Yes?" It was a little galling to put it that way, but it was also the 'correct' way in her mind to speak of offering assistance to the Crane and trying to gauge what they wanted in turn for the consideration.

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:01 am

Dojihime considered the wonders and nodded, “Yes, a true servant from the lowest of peasants to the families of the Champions all have their role, that is true. For the time being we are working with the Stag to secure and promote trade and growth between our two Clans, security and prosperity are key to improving the lives of our lowborn so they can achieve their highest potential.”

“Promoting trade, security and good order are key to our future.”

She took a sip of tea and then added, “Interesting, what blend is this?”

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:46 am

Nozomi's smile didn't slip, though a tiny twitch formed at the corner of her jaw when the word 'lowborn' was used. The word peasant didn't get a reaction. But in her mind, there was a brief flare of emotion. 'Listen here, you snot-nosed little brat, your esteemed father and I were both born in a tribe, and our shit stinks the same way. We both crossed the same river to rescue the same god. Same goes for most of those so-called 'peasants' you keep thinking have always been beneath you.' And with a force of will, she silenced the anger, stilling it and cooling it. Her tone was a fraction rougher when next she spoke, but she kept it deferential. Internally, she reminded herself that it was exactly moments like those which were related to why she had such difficulty fully understanding Shinsei's words today. No, she'd known Nanzi. She'd spoken with him. He probably always did think he was born 'higher' than others. And dealing with the Crane would always mean dealing with attitudes like this.

"In trade, I will say that you are correct," she said after a moment's thought. "Good trade will ensure that your people are well cared for, though as I am sure you have already estimated, the Orders will likely not be of significant aid in that. In helping to maintain good order, however, it has been suggested to me in the past that the Orders might serve as an assist in helping educate the heimin in the assumption of and maintenance of their role, as some are still taking time to fully embrace it." She didn't imply this was a problem in Crane lands, but oh she suspected there were probably a few who bridled at being told they were born low when they were from the same stock of tribes as the now samurai class.

She took a sip of the tea and thought for a moment. "My apologies, Doji-sama. I am not quite versed in tea blends. I requested a jasmine tea be brought. More than that I couldn't say."

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 pm

"Reinforcing the proper place of the lowborn, to better fulfill their honored position would be beneficial to good order. What benefit could your order provide to the samurai of our clans? I am thankful if the Order could aid in this, I recall from my father that your organization follows the lead of the one called Shinsei whose teachings, at times, seemed inimical to promoting values that we find beneficial. Samurai and lowborn alike, could benefit from proper reinforcement of proper actions and values," she offered.

She then looked at her tea and said, "It is passable, thank you for the opportunity to sample it. Is jasmine tea your preferred blend, Nozomi-san?"

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:55 pm

"It depends on the occasion," she said, homing in on tea first. The woman seemed to be as focused on the here and now as she expected. "White is useful when I wish greater awareness, but jasmine easier on the pallet. Oolong is good with a meal. There are many blends in the empire. I haven't had the time to learn them all." Or anything more than words like white and green.

"Your father and the Little Teacher did not see eye to eye in everything. This is true. Their perspective on matters was different, though nobody who ever witnessed your father in action would ever discount his bravery or willingness to sacrifice himself for the sake of those he was sworn to protect. He is a good man." She did actually mean it when she said it. For all that she found it hard to be in Nanzi's presence for more than five minutes without wanting to punch him in the face, she did think he was a good man. Just very misguided at times and with an ego the size of the Stag's lands. "As to the benefit. Ours is an order focused upon education and guidance. Where there are willing ears, we would help reinforce the value of heroism, and of each fulfilling the potential for which they are gifted and blessed by the heavens. Some are meant to be great farmers, and with guidance can be nudged into still greater service of their lord. Others are gifted with courage in the face of the forces of darkness themselves. They can be inspired by the stories of those who gave their lives and service to face such odds, like your father, like Taochusu and Chk'Matt, Yamadono no Noriaki, and the other brave souls who I had the privilege to see in battle south of the river."

"And... when we are not inspiring others to be what heaven has granted them to be? As I said, most of us are good at a craftsman's trade and tilling the land. It is important that we be self-sufficient, so as not to test a land's resources."

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:37 pm

“Oh my you have had a satisfactory education in tea, Nozomi-san, I am impressed. I had the opportunity to try a rather sweet and exuberant blend made from a plant that a foreign merchant said was called star anise, if I recall. Naturally sweet, not overly so, but a subtle pull towards a flavor that pleased the palate. If we have a future opportunity we will have to try it,” she said calmly with a smile.

“I found it soothed my thoughts and was relaxing, not bracing. That was a pleasant afternoon,” she said wistfully. She considered the words about heroism and her father and it gave her pride to know the man was well regarded.

She then looked at the woman, not her eyes but her attire and said, “Is this the fashion of people of your order, it seems quite rustic and quaint, adorable. I could see it being fairly comfortable for all kinds of labor. What material is that, linen? Flax? I do not dare to think it is silk, is it?”

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:16 pm

"Anise, you say. I will have to try it." She did mean that. She'd gotten a little more used to tea over the years, and frankly the whole almost-licorice flavor of anise probably would suit her pallet better than she imagined right then. "I imagine it hard to come by at times, though I believe there's supposed to be a guest from another land among our number."

The question about her clothes made her blink and she looked over them. "Ah, linen actually. I save the flax for when I know that I will be working in the field. Linen is cleaner when I must be in court. We try not to get too much into finery. The only exception is in jewelry." She held one wrist up where it could be seen. An old, worn bracelet made of jade was there. It was not as clean as it had been years ago when she'd bought it. "It is common practice of the order, whenever possible, to carry a small article of jade. Not for its beauty, but for its purity. We pray that the darkness never rises in the south again, but we like the rest of the empire will remain ever vigilant for all threats to the soul of the empire. As with everything, most of what we carry is functional, even if it is pretty."

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 pm

“Jade is a beautiful dn useful material, the Crane are well aware of its properties due to my father’s efforts. Clever and useful,” she said with praise.

“Do you possess a fine kimono for court, Nozomi-san?”

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:25 pm

She nodded in approval. "Your father learned like we all did the need for its protection. It is not a lesson I would imagine he would ever forget. Good to know that he has passed it onto his children." She did shake her head, though, afterwards. "If you are referring to the current fashions of the court, no. Mayumi and I travel through the northern regions of the empire frequently, between the Spider, the Dragon and Crab lands with great regularity. The roads are good and well tended, but that much travel is not good for finer clothes. We generally carry only what we need."

Doji Dojihime

Post by Doji Dojihime » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:27 pm

"A shame, you have a frame that would do well adorned with proper courtly finery," she responded truthfully, she may have strange freakish albino features but her shape was admirable.