[D3, EA, expecting] Refueling after a bear of a morning

Akodo Kawauso

[D3, EA, expecting] Refueling after a bear of a morning

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:15 pm

Kawauso respected that tables would take up room and make the space in the hall less flexible, but trying to sit in seiza and eat with food so low to the ground... The Lion closed her eyes and shook her head.

Still, hunting worked up quite a hunger, especially in winter. Tired and hungry, and still looking a tad roughed up, she was eating up basically whatever was in front of her without much regard for what it was.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Chai Kotsume

Re: [D3, EA, expecting] Refueling after a bear of a morning

Post by Chai Kotsume » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:15 pm
Kawauso respected that tables would take up room and make the space in the hall less flexible, but trying to sit in seiza and eat with food so low to the ground... The Lion closed her eyes and shook her head.

Still, hunting worked up quite a hunger, especially in winter. Tired and hungry, and still looking a tad roughed up, she was eating up basically whatever was in front of her without much regard for what it was.
The symbols in the simple drab clothes covering the girl that came into the dining were the black and purples of the Ki-rin, but her mood was definitely crabby.

She clicked her tongue at the basket on her back three times in a row, running her hand over its cover, then finally looking at those gathered she saw Kawauso and, barely managing to hold back a sulky pout, got some food and silently sat down beside her.

She was about to say an annoyed greeting when she sees the bruises and sighs. "K'nichiwa, nee-san.", she then says, actually sounding a bit more worried than annoyed. So you were out hunting, eh? "'s it what some folks were saying, then? Some huge beast killing out people from the town?"

She managed to let the pouting fade and gave her sister a small smile. "I'm sure nee-san's spear made short work of it, eh?" Soon the pouting is back, though. "Just no mind to call your sis to go hunting with ya, eh?" A sultry face. "I'm sure you've honed your skills better and better, sis... but I've been practicing too, you know?"
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Kawauso slowly turns her head to her sister's arrival. She tries at various times amid the questions to respond, but it's as easy as usual.

"Kotsu-chan," she says quietly, with a patient smile. And a red line crossing below her left eye that sure looks like a scratch from something. "Who would care for your little ones if we'd both gone on that hunt? You have..." She stops herself from saying people, as that isn't right, but she's not just going to call them pets or something. "You have souls counting on you, so no, I'm not taking you on dangerous missions. But if you want to serious out your training, I'm sure the little ones would like to watch us 'play' in the dojo."
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:07 pm
Kawauso slowly turns her head to her sister's arrival. She tries at various times amid the questions to respond, but it's as easy as usual.

"Kotsu-chan," she says quietly, with a patient smile. And a red line crossing below her left eye that sure looks like a scratch from something. "Who would care for your little ones if we'd both gone on that hunt? You have..." She stops herself from saying people, as that isn't right, but she's not just going to call them pets or something. "You have souls counting on you, so no, I'm not taking you on dangerous missions. But if you want to serious out your training, I'm sure the little ones would like to watch us 'play' in the dojo."
Kawauso's patient smile, maybe aided by the scratch below her eye now clearly visible, manages to calm the younger twin considerably. Her energy reined in, she closes her mouth, that was already half-open as if to say something else, blinks, and nods slowly - for her, at least.

"Nee-san", she says kindly and surprisingly softly when she speaks again. "I'm glad you still know to care about them. But you surely remember we're all kin, yeah? Wouldn't be the first time they'd have joined me in something dangerous. The adults, at least." She adds, pointing at her back as she gets a mouthful of the fish in her bowl, then quickly slips some inside the basket. "You can't hope to keep me out of danger all the time, nee-chan. But... I'll sure take you on your offer to play.", she says. "How's that throw of yours? Beat that 80' mark yet?", she then asks cheering up and grinning again, although slightly worried eyes do wander to the scratch under her eyes again.
Status

Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 pm

Kawauso smiles, content enough in Kotsume's answer. She takes a couple of quick bites before responding.

"80 feet is very solid," the taller woman says, business-like, continuing to take quick bites between sentences as she really was quite hungry and had no hesitation about Kotsume seeing it.

"Beating 80 feet is not reliable. Can be done, especially if the air kami are favorable, but it's mostly luck. Can't trust it from a moving boat either, although if you're lucky..." Kawauso smiled and chuckled. "One day, a few months ago, Taro-kun and I were both home, and we took the small boats out. He was showing off, raced off paddling. I happened to have a light spear in the boat and, giving enough lead for the boats momentum, I gave it a mighty heave. Planted it six inches above his water line," she said with a smug grin.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 pm
Kawauso smiles, content enough in Kotsume's answer. She takes a couple of quick bites before responding.

"80 feet is very solid," the taller woman says, business-like, continuing to take quick bites between sentences as she really was quite hungry and had no hesitation about Kotsume seeing it.

"Beating 80 feet is not reliable. Can be done, especially if the air kami are favorable, but it's mostly luck. Can't trust it from a moving boat either, although if you're lucky..." Kawauso smiled and chuckled. "One day, a few months ago, Taro-kun and I were both home, and we took the small boats out. He was showing off, raced off paddling. I happened to have a light spear in the boat and, giving enough lead for the boats momentum, I gave it a mighty heave. Planted it six inches above his water line," she said with a smug grin.
Kotsume is soon dedicated to eating as well, knowing her sister won't mind her doing that (and feeding the otters hidden in the basket) while they talk.

As Kawauso tells the story about Taro-kun, she can't quite contain a laugh "Hah! I wish I'd seen his face", she says. "You were always better at throwing, sis. Even Taro-kun knew that, much as he hated to admit it!"

Another bite and some silence. "But yeah, 80 feet is a lot! Still hope to see you beat that, though.", she then says, still smiling, but the smile soon fades a bit. "Seriously though, nee-san... you could've fetched me.", she adds with a slightly sentimental feel, then moves her eyes to Kawauso-'s face and bringing her right hand close to the scratch, slightly worried. "So... how did it go?"
Status

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 am

Kawauso closes her eyes, looking embarrassed as she remembers the scratch and realizes what Kotsume is thinking.

"We didn't end up killing anything," she leads with, knowing k Kotsume is even more defensive of the natural world than she herself. "And the scratch was a skinny twig on a tree that I didn't see while hurrying after the other hunters -- damn stick hit just above my mempo." She raises a hand slightly toward it in memory, but stops herself to avoid irritating it.

"But, you would be proud of your sister. We met a great white she-bear -- protecting cubs, we think -- and I convinced her to surrender." Kawauso kept a straight face briefly before a wide smile breaks across her face. "I mean, I convinced her that we weren't going to bother her and her cubs, and we all went on our ways. Best luck I've ever had with an animal bigger than an otter," she says, disbelieving her own experience.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:53 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 am
Kawauso closes her eyes, looking embarrassed as she remembers the scratch and realizes what Kotsume is thinking.

"We didn't end up killing anything," she leads with, knowing k Kotsume is even more defensive of the natural world than she herself. "And the scratch was a skinny twig on a tree that I didn't see while hurrying after the other hunters -- damn stick hit just above my mempo." She raises a hand slightly toward it in memory, but stops herself to avoid irritating it.

"But, you would be proud of your sister. We met a great white she-bear -- protecting cubs, we think -- and I convinced her to surrender." Kawauso kept a straight face briefly before a wide smile breaks across her face. "I mean, I convinced her that we weren't going to bother her and her cubs, and we all went on our ways. Best luck I've ever had with an animal bigger than an otter," she says, disbelieving her own experience.
As she moves her hand back, Kotsume's face is first relieved, then a smile starts to grow on it, and it keeps growing.

"Oh! Wow, onee-san! A... white bear, you said? Aren't those super rare? And... wow!" She seems at the brink of giving Kawauso a hug, but manages to hold herself back with only a wide grin from ear to ear. "That's fantastic, nee-san! And... you've managed to keep the animal... safe, later?" Some worry creeps back into her face, although her happiness is still visible. "I mean... there were people killed, from what I've heard. So I imagine there might be attempts at... you know."

She stops to think for a moment, looking outside the window. "Ah. But... wait. Considering when we are in the year" She then looks back at Kawauso's eyes. "... isn't that a bit strange, nee-san?"
Status

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:02 am

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:53 pm

As she moves her hand back, Kotsume's face is first relieved, then a smile starts to grow on it, and it keeps growing.

"Oh! Wow, onee-san! A... white bear, you said? Aren't those super rare? And... wow!" She seems at the brink of giving Kawauso a hug, but manages to hold herself back with only a wide grin from ear to ear. "That's fantastic, nee-san! And... you've managed to keep the animal... safe, later?" Some worry creeps back into her face, although her happiness is still visible. "I mean... there were people killed, from what I've heard. So I imagine there might be attempts at... you know."

She stops to think for a moment, looking outside the window. "Ah. But... wait. Considering when we are in the year" She then looks back at Kawauso's eyes. "... isn't that a bit strange, nee-san?"
Kawauso sees that lean starting toward a hug but, perhaps from tiredness or something, she doesn't shy from her sister. The Lion nods to Kotsume's questions. "The whole thing seems very strange," she agrees, "but the other hunters spoke of the emperor and consort with seeming confidence the bears could be protected. Jiyo Sora-sama was there, and the Stag lady, Hantei Kinsen-sama. I think they will speak well of protecting the bear and her cubs."

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:46 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:02 am
Kawauso sees that lean starting toward a hug but, perhaps from tiredness or something, she doesn't shy from her sister. The Lion nods to Kotsume's questions. "The whole thing seems very strange," she agrees, "but the other hunters spoke of the emperor and consort with seeming confidence the bears could be protected. Jiyo Sora-sama was there, and the Stag lady, Hantei Kinsen-sama. I think they will speak well of protecting the bear and her cubs."
She nodded. "That's good to hear! Let's hope the family is kept safe - and no more accidents occur. It just... really bothers me that the bear is not sleeping.... I wonder if she had trouble keeping the cubs fed earlier, and may have kept active because of that? It's odd though, I'd think this area should be quite bountiful..."

She looks at Kawauso's eyes. "Do you think there might be something..." She seems thoughtful, as if not really sure what that something might be. "Well, something else at work? Did you find any other tracks or anything strange while there, nee-san?"
Status

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:04 pm

"I don't know, Kotsu-chan," Kawauso replies quietly. "Maybe it is not so strange here? The monk, Nozomi, found some markings that looked like maybe there were warnings around the cave area, but all was obscured by the heavy snow." She sighed. "Even finding the one set of tracks to follow was difficult with so much snow covering the ground.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:04 pm
"I don't know, Kotsu-chan," Kawauso replies quietly. "Maybe it is not so strange here? The monk, Nozomi, found some markings that looked like maybe there were warnings around the cave area, but all was obscured by the heavy snow." She sighed. "Even finding the one set of tracks to follow was difficult with so much snow covering the ground.
The shorter sister seems thoughtful. "Ah... maybe? I... still find it odd, but maybe you're right."

She is quiet for a while, apparently still thinking while getting some more mouthfuls of the food and passing some more fish and rice to the basket, not really caring about hiding it now.

"With the amount of snow we had... yeah, mustn't have been easy. But... warning-like markings, you said? Like... as if the bear made them on purpose, or something like that?"

She looks at Kawauso again, seeming puzzled. "I... think we could pay the area another visit, sis. If there's something going on... maybe we can find something else if we go on a clearer day, after the snow has thawed some?"
Status

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Kawauso makes an unhappy face. "I don't know, Kotsu-chan. Giving the bear space to calm down..." Its clear from her eyes that she's not interested in a return to the cave. And those eyes stay on Kotsume's, trying to get her to give up the idea.

With a defeated sigh, the Lion shakes her head. "Ugh. Fine. You and mom did always know better about this sort of thing..." Kawauso takes a grumpy mouthful of food from her plate, then stares at it as she realizes it's empty save a few tiny crumbs.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:08 pm
Kawauso makes an unhappy face. "I don't know, Kotsu-chan. Giving the bear space to calm down..." Its clear from her eyes that she's not interested in a return to the cave. And those eyes stay on Kotsume's, trying to get her to give up the idea.

With a defeated sigh, the Lion shakes her head. "Ugh. Fine. You and mom did always know better about this sort of thing..." Kawauso takes a grumpy mouthful of food from her plate, then stares at it as she realizes it's empty save a few tiny crumbs.
The girl seems to cheer up at Kawauso's answer, although she shakes her head at her sister's last words. "Well, this morning shows you're not far behind yourself, nee-san!" She nods at her again, then thinks for a while.

"Giving her and the cubs time and space to calm down is definitely important, though. You know... If we do deal with the bear itself later, it will hopefully be in a peaceful way. But we could just leave it be and try to find out if there's... Anything else odd close to the den."

She looks at her sister again. "Maybe we could have a look in a couple days. If the weather allows. Although..."

She shakes her head, smiles. "Ah, well. I say we try it. If it comes to that, we may try and see if we can get permission to get closer, but maybe we won't even have to?"
Status

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm

"Sure, Kotsu-chan. That sounds fine." Kawauso looks rather like she's done with this conversation as she glances around the hall. "Let's just... make sure we're keeping safe. There's lots going on, important work we have to do here." The big sister seems slightly overwhelmed as she looks down at her empty plate again.

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm
"Sure, Kotsu-chan. That sounds fine." Kawauso looks rather like she's done with this conversation as she glances around the hall. "Let's just... make sure we're keeping safe. There's lots going on, important work we have to do here." The big sister seems slightly overwhelmed as she looks down at her empty plate again.
Having finished her plate as well - and with soft purring sounds coming from the basket indicating those there were sated as well - the shorter sister nods. "Of course, sis. We'll definitely keep safe", she says with a smile. "So... about the other thing... we should probably think about taking it to court at some point."

She stretches a bit, looking out. "But well... we'll speak about that later, ne?", she nods at her sister again. "Thanks for the conversation, sis", she says with a wide, happy smile. "I missed you more than I knew, you know!?"

(/scene?)
Status

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:07 pm

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm
Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Having finished her plate as well - and with soft purring sounds coming from the basket indicating those there were sated as well - the shorter sister nods. "Of course, sis. We'll definitely keep safe", she says with a smile. "So... about the other thing... we should probably think about taking it to court at some point."

She stretches a bit, looking out. "But well... we'll speak about that later, ne?", she nods at her sister again. "Thanks for the conversation, sis", she says with a wide, happy smile. "I missed you more than I knew, you know!?"

(/scene?)
With a laugh and a shake of her head at Kotsu-chan's energy, Kawauso gives her sister a warmer smile than she's used to. "Yes, yes. It is... It's really good that you're here." And she reaches over to squeeze Kotsume's hand.

---------
Happy to end scene after you get a reaction to "warm and fuzzy" Kawauso. :)