[D2 LE] Heroic Tales

Doji Misaki

Re: [D2 LE] Heroic Tales

Post by Doji Misaki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:47 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:36 pm
Ayano imagined the scene of the Crane maiden dancing in the snow, her cheeks reddened a fraction...it was cold out. "A pity perhaps, I am sure there would have been rumors of Snow Maidens in the gardens if you had taken to such an action Doji-san."

"Interesting does not always imply fun, though anything fun is usually interesting." She raised her brows at the comment.
"I mean... I suppose I wouldn't say we're here for 'fun' as such. There are more important things for adults than simple enjoyment, especially in a big gathering like this."

That was certainly Lady Doji's stance on such things at least, even if not some of her siblings as much.

"Still; Enjoyment certainly keeps people interested, as you said. So it behooves planners for such things to keep that in mind. Especially if you have a bunch of people stuck inside thanks to travel limitations in the winter, no?"
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:55 am

Doji Misaki wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:47 am
"I mean... I suppose I wouldn't say we're here for 'fun' as such. There are more important things for adults than simple enjoyment, especially in a big gathering like this."

That was certainly Lady Doji's stance on such things at least, even if not some of her siblings as much.

"Still; Enjoyment certainly keeps people interested, as you said. So it behooves planners for such things to keep that in mind. Especially if you have a bunch of people stuck inside thanks to travel limitations in the winter, no?"
Ayano's cheeks reddened slightly more, not just the cold but embarrassment, "Of course Doji-san...but perhaps there might be time for both duty and simple pleasures. Though...I suppose duty can be a pleasure in itself."

"I have been considering something of an event myself..." She smiled, "A display of the Makime family's studies. But there are a few things that must been done first."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:55 am
Ayano's cheeks reddened slightly more, not just the cold but embarrassment, "Of course Doji-san...but perhaps there might be time for both duty and simple pleasures. Though...I suppose duty can be a pleasure in itself."

"I have been considering something of an event myself..." She smiled, "A display of the Makime family's studies. But there are a few things that must been done first."
If Misaki notices the reddened cheeks, she's at least too polite to say anything about it, "Makime family studies... that would be in tactics and battle organization, correct?"

She'd also heard it lay in economics, but that seemed like the sort of thing they'd be unlikely to highlight in such a manner as something organized.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 am

Doji Misaki wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 am
If Misaki notices the reddened cheeks, she's at least too polite to say anything about it, "Makime family studies... that would be in tactics and battle organization, correct?"

She'd also heard it lay in economics, but that seemed like the sort of thing they'd be unlikely to highlight in such a manner as something organized.
Ayano's smile was more that of an excited student, "Yes, that is it exactly. And what mother calls strategy...which is well in simple the movements before a battle. It is one reason we also place such emphasis on trade, there is a lot of overlap between. Namely moving a lot of important materials in a timely manner."

She leans back, calming down, "...there is a certain art in it, and one that can be appreciated I think. But implementation is..." Ayano trailed off feeling a little more self-aware, "...often destructive in the end."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:58 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 am
Ayano's smile was more that of an excited student, "Yes, that is it exactly. And what mother calls strategy...which is well in simple the movements before a battle. It is one reason we also place such emphasis on trade, there is a lot of overlap between. Namely moving a lot of important materials in a timely manner."

She leans back, calming down, "...there is a certain art in it, and one that can be appreciated I think. But implementation is..." Ayano trailed off feeling a little more self-aware, "...often destructive in the end."
"That is the way of war, yes. Some forget the costs, but remembering then does not negate the necessity or importance of the art of war. Even myself, as someone who's taken a vow of pacifism, can appreciate that. After all, if people's lives are the responsibility of tacticians and generals, then it makes it all the more important such things are done right when the need arises."

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:06 am

Doji Misaki wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:58 am
"That is the way of war, yes. Some forget the costs, but remembering then does not negate the necessity or importance of the art of war. Even myself, as someone who's taken a vow of pacifism, can appreciate that. After all, if people's lives are the responsibility of tacticians and generals, then it makes it all the more important such things are done right when the need arises."
Ayano blushed at that, "Yes as you say Doji-san." She looks down at the snow and is about to say more when a rat in kimono told a story...decently. "...is that a nezumi? I had heard of them but never seen."

She whispered, "Are they all so garish? That's a strange mixture of color in their fur."

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 am

Makime Ayano wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:06 am
Ayano blushed at that, "Yes as you say Doji-san." She looks down at the snow and is about to say more when a rat in kimono told a story...decently. "...is that a nezumi? I had heard of them but never seen."

She whispered, "Are they all so garish? That's a strange mixture of color in their fur."
Turning to where Ayano was looking, Misaki spotted Wh'rr'kk and blinked, keeping her On other than that. She spoke softly as well, leaning closer to Ayano, who might be able to smell the scent of clover and hibiscus from the priestess, "I cannot say I have seen a Nezumi up until now either. They have a bad reputation amongst farmers as scavengers and thieves of sorts. And even worse among those who keep animals. I would be interested to have actual learning about them that is more than rumor and tall tales."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:04 pm
"Dad doesn't talk about it much, and Mom just says monsters were involved, and that they were scary enough that seeing a bloody man in Hikaru war garb was a relief."
"It's a story that we don't really tell as much. Many stories involve monsters on that trip, but those ones were specially bad in some ways," she said, giving him a rueful nod as she said it. She supported not telling the tale of bog hags until they were older.

"Yeah, mom won't even talk about that one with me." Mayumi was a little pouting. "I'm almost an adult, you know. I can handle it." It got a sort of stern look from her and a sigh and shake of her head. There were traumas the girl did not need to experience if she was fortunate.
"Hm, tempting... maybe if I ever get tired of this samurai business I'll leave my name and join up..."
She chuckled and relaxed. "You, retire? I think I might just eat my obi if I ever see the day. I just have trouble imagining you sitting still and resting on your laurels for that long. You'd go crazy."
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:54 pm

Kogi mostly listens, without cheers, jeers, or commentary, but she does have a story when the room's attention rolls around to her.

She spins a simple tale of Katsuro, a loyal retainer of Bayushi, and of how many years ago this man once accompanied the Kami on a scouting expedition against some mountain bandits who had been troubling the Scorpion settlements in the river plains below. In the mountains, the scouting party found several villages raided and torched by the bandits; most were abandoned, but in the last village Katsuro found one survivor, from whom they learned that the bandits' apparent habit was to poison the villagers by treachery before stripping their houses bare.

The mountain villages had not yet sworn loyalty to Bayushi back then, but the Kami nevertheless determined to wipe out these shameless bandits once and for all. His band was much smaller in number than the bandits in their nest, so he devised a scheme by which the bandits' treachery would be turned against them: one Scorpion warrior would pretend to join their number, bringing as his entrance fee a bag of the same poisoned grain the bandits used to harm their victims. Once they were incapacitated, the other Scorpion would strike.

Katsuro, out of loyalty, volunteered for this dangerous duty and carried it out to the letter. In the end, to allay the bandits' suspicions, he even ate from the poisoned pot himself. By the time the other Scorpion rescued him he was near death, but even as he slipped away to Meido he never complained. He had given his life to protect others, and what greater joy is there?

The story is told matter-of-factly, with little apparent embellishment or stylistic flourishes. So much so, in fact, that one might not guess Kogi has cleaned up the uglier details a little, and given Katsuro a more dignified final monologue than he managed in life--the man had already been unconscious in his own mess when Bayushi found him, but Kogi imagined she knew what he might have been thinking, and wasn't that close enough?

---

D2 LE - Heroic Tales pt1, Oratory TN 20, VP for skill: 5d10o10k4 24
+2 points

D2 LE - Heroic Tales pt2, Sincerity (Deceit) TN 15, antisocial: 5d10r1o10k4 33
+1 point

3 points total!
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:36 pm

Event Closed for rolling. Continue RP as you like.
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 pm
"Yeah, mom won't even talk about that one with me." Mayumi was a little pouting. "I'm almost an adult, you know. I can handle it."
"Kid, we were adults on that trip, and I seriously doubt any of us could really handle it at the time."

"Mom says she's written a complete history-" Shirayuki piped up.

"- that she doesn't let us anywhere near." Phi supplied.

Soryu was looking at Mayumi. "You sound like Phi an' Shirayuki..."
"She chuckled and relaxed. "You, retire? I think I might just eat my obi if I ever see the day. I just have trouble imagining you sitting still and resting on your laurels for that long. You'd go crazy."
"Oh, is that what you're doing? Sitting still and resting on your laurels?"
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Throughout the stories, Kuu continues his fast paced scribbling, taking down the notes and story points for full retelling and recording later. When the stories come to a close, the monk goes through them all to figure out who would be placed where in rankings. It doesn't take long for him to order everything, eventually announcing those that would receive the stated prizes.

----

Saru Yatsufusa will receive a calligraphy recording of his story by Kuu. He may also enlist Kuu's aid as a scribe for a meeting of his choice.

Kakita and Togashi Satsuki will each recieve an artistic calligraphy of a word or simple phrase.

All receive thanks for their contributions. Those stories that have cohesive details that Kuu could follow will be recorded for the Order of Heroes libraries, to be remembered for generations.

Thanks for participating!

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 am
Turning to where Ayano was looking, Misaki spotted Wh'rr'kk and blinked, keeping her On other than that. She spoke softly as well, leaning closer to Ayano, who might be able to smell the scent of clover and hibiscus from the priestess, "I cannot say I have seen a Nezumi up until now either. They have a bad reputation amongst farmers as scavengers and thieves of sorts. And even worse among those who keep animals. I would be interested to have actual learning about them that is more than rumor and tall tales."
Ayano's blush deepened, "I have heard little of them myself." She smiled coyly, "Mother has an interest in them but I believe it is related to their altercation with the Crab. Lady Makime always has her eye to any battle, it helps her refine her theories to study such things."

"But perhaps we might be able to approach this one at some point," Ayano looked down, "If you want someone to accompany you while you speak to them."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:22 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:42 pm
"Kid, we were adults on that trip, and I seriously doubt any of us could really handle it at the time."

"Mom says she's written a complete history-" Shirayuki piped up.

"- that she doesn't let us anywhere near." Phi supplied.

Soryu was looking at Mayumi. "You sound like Phi an' Shirayuki..."
She was snickering back at them, giving them a wicked look. At fourteen she was only a few years older than they were. "Yeah, mom won't let me know everything from those days. She says stuff like your dad does all the time."

"That, dearest daughter, is because there are some stories we hope never to see repeated." And wasn't that the truth of it? Bog hags were a creation that nobody needed to see.
"Oh, is that what you're doing? Sitting still and resting on your laurels?"
She chuckled back. "True enough. You'll find a way to keep yourself busy. I certainly did." She jerked her thumb towards the girl behind her. "The path of enlightenment apparently involves me keeping up with my own child. Amazing what it can do."

Her daughter leaned in to whisper to Phi. 'She's got eyes in the back of her head. I swear it.'
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:28 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:22 pm
She was snickering back at them, giving them a wicked look. At fourteen she was only a few years older than they were. "Yeah, mom won't let me know everything from those days. She says stuff like your dad does all the time."
"Well, if they were both Hikaru, that makes a kind of sense..."

"Phi, what about Dad, exactly, makes sense to you?"

"She chuckled back. "True enough. You'll find a way to keep yourself busy. I certainly did." She jerked her thumb towards the girl behind her. "The path of enlightenment apparently involves me keeping up with my own child. Amazing what it can do."
I can only imagine. After all, she's yours, so the capacity for mayhem must be pronounced..."

"What's mayhem, Daddy?"

"It's what I used to do, Soryu."
Her daughter leaned in to whisper to Phi. 'She's got eyes in the back of her head. I swear it.'
"I think it's some kind of power all parents have... having a twin helps, though..."

Shirayuki simply winked.
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:28 pm
"Well, if they were both Hikaru, that makes a kind of sense..."

"Phi, what about Dad, exactly, makes sense to you?"
Mayumi held up a hand, and when she did, there was a bit of a know-it-all air to it. "There once was a girl of the Hikaru who crossed the river to help aid the fight against darkness. That girl did not cross the river to return to the empire. Instead, a woman named Nozomi did." She winked at them. "That's how mother always answers if she was Hikaru."

"Someone is asking to get cuffed up her ear," Nozomi muttered.
I can only imagine. After all, she's yours, so the capacity for mayhem must be pronounced..."

"What's mayhem, Daddy?"

"It's what I used to do, Soryu."
"You have no idea. That one is as much trouble as a thousand caravan guards." And for once, Mayumi did not say anything smart. That lesson? That lesson she had learned.
"I think it's some kind of power all parents have... having a twin helps, though..."

Shirayuki simply winked.
She frowned and shook her head. "She's scarier than most. Trust me. She does have them."

Nozomi barked a laugh. "And if you were better at your understanding of the emptiness that fills all creation instead of trying to master your stories of famous heroes, you would have them too, girl." She winked at Shirayuki. "She isn't wrong though. I do have eyes in the back of my head."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Nozomi wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Mayumi held up a hand, and when she did, there was a bit of a know-it-all air to it. "There once was a girl of the Hikaru who crossed the river to help aid the fight against darkness. That girl did not cross the river to return to the empire. Instead, a woman named Nozomi did." She winked at them. "That's how mother always answers if she was Hikaru."

"Someone is asking to get cuffed up her ear," Nozomi muttered.
"Yeah, they're definitely from the same tribe..."

"Same threats, even!"
She frowned and shook her head. "She's scarier than most. Trust me. She does have them."

Nozomi barked a laugh. "And if you were better at your understanding of the emptiness that fills all creation instead of trying to master your stories of famous heroes, you would have them too, girl." She winked at Shirayuki. "She isn't wrong though. I do have eyes in the back of my head."
"Can I see them?"

"'Yuki, I think it's a monk thing, kinda like what Satsuki-hime can do..."

"Yeah, but she has tattoos."

"And Dad talks about Shinsei carrying a friggin' rock around."

Current Theme

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 pm
"Yeah, they're definitely from the same tribe..."

"Same threats, even!"
"Hah. We've both softened our threats up over the years, trust me. I didn't used to threaten people in the old days." She just killed them. When they weren't looking.
"Can I see them?"

"'Yuki, I think it's a monk thing, kinda like what Satsuki-hime can do..."

"Yeah, but she has tattoos."

"And Dad talks about Shinsei carrying a friggin' rock around."
Nozomi looked thoughtful, glancing back at Kuu and then at the children before nodding. "It ... is a thing that we come to as we become more aware of the elements, so I suppose you could call it a 'monk thing,' though it is not quite the same as... let us say teaching the techniques of a school of soldiers." She held a hand up and looked at it for a minute, quietly. "I can feel the wind around me move, and move with it. The air goes where it will go, and with my breath I move with it. I feel the movement in the void and the passage of what is nearby. I can even see into your soul. That trick? I learned from the Teacher himself. He once used it on me."

She smirked and winked at Sora. "When he told me I didn't get to go on a trip, but your dad did."

Saru Yatsufusa

Post by Saru Yatsufusa » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Kuu wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm
Throughout the stories, Kuu continues his fast paced scribbling, taking down the notes and story points for full retelling and recording later. When the stories come to a close, the monk goes through them all to figure out who would be placed where in rankings. It doesn't take long for him to order everything, eventually announcing those that would receive the stated prizes.

Yatsufusa would approach Kuu and bow to him. It seems that his perspective over what could be consider heroic had some validity, and he hoped that his words would inspire those in the masses that still were not to be found, to rise among the crowds and shine like stars.

If his words, as few as they were, could achieve even one person to be inspired and fulfill its grandiose destiny, then he would be happy.
*Dragon *Saru *Shugenja *Blessed Spiritually *Bishounen *Lame *Green Eyes *Blonde Hair *Avian Enthusiast

Honor: What is Expected|Glory: 2.0|Status: 1.0
Mon: Dragon, Saru

Equipment: Walking stick, sturdy clothing, trained falcon, songbird, small knife, wakizashi, han kyu, arrows

Background

accompanied by Reimei, a falcon, sometimes by Getsumei, a songbird, since D6 onwards by Yukiashi, a female fox

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 am

Saru Yatsufusa wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:01 pm
Yatsufusa would approach Kuu and bow to him. It seems that his perspective over what could be consider heroic had some validity, and he hoped that his words would inspire those in the masses that still were not to be found, to rise among the crowds and shine like stars.

If his words, as few as they were, could achieve even one person to be inspired and fulfill its grandiose destiny, then he would be happy.
"Congratulations on a story well told. It's not the standard but it illustrates part of the reason we hold heroes in high regard," Kuu says with a bow.