Breaking the Ice (D2, LM, Player Event)

Ongaku Masanori

Re: Breaking the Ice (D2, LM, Player Event)

Post by Ongaku Masanori » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 pm

"Then perhaps the question falls to the latter half, ne?"

He noted her comments about history with a faint nod, stashing them away for review and contemplation. In a weird sense, they stung.

"What has been on your mind? Hobbies? Places you wished to visit? Interesting strangers you hoped to meet?"

They all seemed like relatively normal things, though he would have to admit, if pressed, that he wasn't exactly the premier expert in normality.
Imperial :: Ongaku :: Courier :: Horned :: Voice :: Sage
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Tanto, ceremonial attire, calligraphy kit, sake cup.
Profile :: Theme

Hantei Genji

Post by Hantei Genji » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm

Satsuki sipped her tea too, very obviously trying to get a read on Genji. Those intense eyes were... something alright.

"It was... tolerable. Some interesting people were there at least. I hope the couple isn't going to be confused by the names - Nanzi Ananzihime and Nanzi Hadananzi is a weird mouthful to be sure, but this is coming from the ones who call themselves Doji Dojihime. If I went around calling myself Togashi Togashihime it would be weird, especially when adressed by the more formal folks who'd then call me Togashi Togashihime-hime."
"Oh? Tolerable? How are weddings in Dragon lands? I've never seen one. Or visited your lands, to be honest." He smiled, and barely managed to hold back a snicker. "Well, thankfully my younger sister is not Hanteihime. To be honest, there is a straightforwardedness in that name? Like Hida Ichiro for example. You know what to expect."
Son of the Stag * Idealistic Prodigy * Blessed and Cursed
Carries: Daisho, other stuff

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm
"Ah...no I mean, which must you do first? Every moment past the event that inspired you to create is another small fade in your memory. Your two works describing the same event would be subtlety different. To which would you prefer the greater accuracy, hence the one you do first." Ayano asks, "Moments are ephemeral, that is one thing that makes art so wonderful. To freeze a moment that will never come again exactly as it did before."
"Whichever I felt most strongly." The answer came quickly and confidently. Hikaru's expression was strangely thoughtful, remembering a conversation from yesterday. "In the Crane, art is how we express ourselves. It may not be as simple as words, but sometimes it can be better. And sometimes it is the only way."

He brushed back his lock of white hair. "I admit, as I have practiced painting more, I feel that I would naturally tend towards painting. It is... like knowing more words in a language, perhaps."

His gaze softened. "And well said, Makime-sama. You have the spirit of an artist. Sometimes, when I know my time is limited, I take sketches, the better to refresh my memory for later. And yet, I often wonder if I have truly expressed what I felt in that moment."
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Akodo Moshi

Post by Akodo Moshi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:08 pm

(Doji Dojihime hasn't shown up yet, so I guess Akodo Moshi is just going to be sitting in an empty room waiting for someone patiently?)
Honor: What is expected Status: 1.0 Glory: 3
Lion Clan *Shugenja * Blessed by Air *Sage *Great Expectations *Humbled
Current influence: 1

Akodo Daigoro

Post by Akodo Daigoro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:30 pm

"That is correct. Misaki of the Doji, at your service."

She bowed deeply.

"We were paired up in the drawing, if you'd like to come sit with me?"

Misaki motioned over to the cushions at the table where she'd gotten up from, some tea still sitting there on the table.
"Right, that sounds like the thing to do." He followed gamely and sat firmly. He felt a little self-conscious about his arm, but there was nothing anyone could do about that. Better to get things rolling. "So...what do you do, Doji-san?"
Honor: Exceptional * Glory: 3.0 * Status 1
Lion Clan * Bushi * Engineer * Ojichan * Missing Left Hand * Short * Patron Saint of Teamwork

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Hisomu Ayeka wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 pm

She blinks at the sudden question, then shakes her head. "If there are rules or guidelines with the tea, you shall forgive me for being ignorant to them as well. We are here to know each other, not to stand on ceremony. Please, there is nothing to be concerned with so far as I believe."
Kawauso listens thoughtfully, then nods emphatically in agreement. "I am no fan of extra rules and expectations being added to my life," the Lion says candidly. "Especially for something that should be as straightforward as drinking something that smells nice," she says with a mischievous smile.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:39 pm

Ongaku Masanori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 pm
"Then perhaps the question falls to the latter half, ne?"

He noted her comments about history with a faint nod, stashing them away for review and contemplation. In a weird sense, they stung.

"What has been on your mind? Hobbies? Places you wished to visit? Interesting strangers you hoped to meet?"

They all seemed like relatively normal things, though he would have to admit, if pressed, that he wasn't exactly the premier expert in normality.
"If we're to be stuck here for a few days more..." Kogi cocks her head in thought. "Naturally, it's a chance to meet people from far away. I am not sorry to have more time to see the palace gardens... if this miserable weather lets up enough for it, at least."

Her dark eyes flick to one side, tracking the approach of a Crane-helper with a tray of tea tools and canisters. "And I've looked forward to trying tea from Doji's lands. It should have different qualities from ours--from the valleys of the south Spine, I mean. Those are the tea gardens I know."
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 pm

Akodo Daigoro wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 pm
"Right, that sounds like the thing to do." He followed gamely and sat firmly. He felt a little self-conscious about his arm, but there was nothing anyone could do about that. Better to get things rolling. "So...what do you do, Doji-san?"
Misaki talked as she poured tea for the man, "I am an Engineer, Akodo-sama. I work mostly on rural planning and farming innovation in-so-far as making sure Lady Doji-sama's lands are well maintained and bountiful. If anything I do can help with a bountiful harvest and maybe prevent starvation during lean years, I like to think my Duty has been well done."
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Ongaku Masanori

Post by Ongaku Masanori » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 pm

Bayushi Kogi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:39 pm
"If we're to be stuck here for a few days more..." Kogi cocks her head in thought. "Naturally, it's a chance to meet people from far away. I am not sorry to have more time to see the palace gardens... if this miserable weather lets up enough for it, at least."

Her dark eyes flick to one side, tracking the approach of a Crane-helper with a tray of tea tools and canisters. "And I've looked forward to trying tea from Doji's lands. It should have different qualities from ours--from the valleys of the south Spine, I mean. Those are the tea gardens I know."
"Indeed? You shall have to tell me how they compare, I fear my palette is not sufficiently refined to detect subtle nuance in flavor - particularly when I approach tea as a matter of quantity, rather than quality." He offered a wry smile with his answer, self-deprecating, but not too serious.

"These sorts of storms can be unpredictable, it may abate soon, or it may carry on in fits and starts for weeks. I was once caught in a waystation with a rather overly friendly keeper for weeks upon end, and escaping with the thaw was a welcome respite."
Imperial :: Ongaku :: Courier :: Horned :: Voice :: Sage
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Tanto, ceremonial attire, calligraphy kit, sake cup.
Profile :: Theme

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Ongaku Masanori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:04 pm
Bayushi Kogi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:39 pm

"Indeed? You shall have to tell me how they compare, I fear my palette is not sufficiently refined to detect subtle nuance in flavor - particularly when I approach tea as a matter of quantity, rather than quality." He offered a wry smile with his answer, self-deprecating, but not too serious.

"These sorts of storms can be unpredictable, it may abate soon, or it may carry on in fits and starts for weeks. I was once caught in a waystation with a rather overly friendly keeper for weeks upon end, and escaping with the thaw was a welcome respite."
”Weeks...?" That is a prospect Kogi hasn't seriously considered. "Your winters north of the Spine are no joke."

She looks up with a courteous nod as the Crane-helper (either a servant or a protege depending what Tsubaki has in mind!) drops off the tea things. "We'll manage, thank you." Then, returning her attention to Masanori--or a good part of it, at least, since she is now also occupied with checking over the tea tools, "Oh, dear. That's no way to treat decent tea, Ongaku-san. For the tea or for the drinker. Did you know, one of the first things anyone learns in the physician's art is 'food and physic share one source'?"
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 pm
"Whichever I felt most strongly." The answer came quickly and confidently. Hikaru's expression was strangely thoughtful, remembering a conversation from yesterday. "In the Crane, art is how we express ourselves. It may not be as simple as words, but sometimes it can be better. And sometimes it is the only way."

He brushed back his lock of white hair. "I admit, as I have practiced painting more, I feel that I would naturally tend towards painting. It is... like knowing more words in a language, perhaps."

His gaze softened. "And well said, Makime-sama. You have the spirit of an artist. Sometimes, when I know my time is limited, I take sketches, the better to refresh my memory for later. And yet, I often wonder if I have truly expressed what I felt in that moment."
"Sketches are good, to better perfect the image...but it is a copy of a copy," Ayano added, "Of course in that regard, those who see the art are only seeing a copy of the emotions. The penultimate expression then must be create a perfect recreation...indistinguishable of the moment itself."

"Maybe someday someone will master such, for now we have to struggle with just making the best possible copy."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:10 pm

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Kinsen frowns to that, and it is difficult to remove from her mind. Thus, she explains, "I was also someone' else's pet. Do you enjoy how you're treated?"
"Huh? Really Hantei sama... I know no other life. I am to follow my master's orders but how ever I like. Neko are like that... untamed the claws come out but rubbed the right way neko purr and rub against your leg." She pondered. "I guess those are not fond memories Hantei sama."
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:14 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 pm
"Sketches are good, to better perfect the image...but it is a copy of a copy," Ayano added, "Of course in that regard, those who see the art are only seeing a copy of the emotions. The penultimate expression then must be create a perfect recreation...indistinguishable of the moment itself."

"Maybe someday someone will master such, for now we have to struggle with just making the best possible copy."
"Perhaps." Hikaru smiled gently. "But thus the dilemma every artist must face. How to perfectly recreate a feeling? Perhaps Lady Doji can do it, and indeed, her works inspire emotion." He shook his head, as gently as his smile. "But I fear I shall never know for certain."

He pursed his lips, considering Ayano. "I should still like to see your calligraphy sometime, Makime-sama. But I wonder, is there another art form which speaks to you?"
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:10 pm
"Huh? Really Hantei sama... I know no other life. I am to follow my master's orders but how ever I like. Neko are like that... untamed the claws come out but rubbed the right way neko purr and rub against your leg." She pondered. "I guess those are not fond memories Hantei sama."
"They are not fond, and they do come out, indeed." Kinsen lets the tea cup on her lap and clacks her red fingernails on the porcelain while thinking.

Taking another look with her golden eyes at the self proclaimed cat-lady, the Kitsu-blooded woman smirks and inclines her head closer to whisper, "Can you transform?"
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Miyako Masato wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:14 pm
"Ah, not yet, thank you." Masato procures one tea cake and munches on it a little.

"I hope your journey here was not too arduous. And that Imperial Court has exceeded your hopes. Have you made any good memories yet? Excited for anything yet to come?"

He continues to munch on the tea cake.
Turning over the two tea cups, Chizu lifted the teapot and poured a cup for each of them.

"I haven't been here that long," she admitted. "But the Crane wedding was quite impressive, and I know a lot more court events are planned. I got invited to some sort of ball tonight, in fact; that should be fun."

"I've been outside Crab lands before, but this is the biggest gathering I've seen; there are so many people, and of so many different clans and families," Chizu continued. "I'm hoping to make some friends while here. That's mainly why I agreed to come to this event." She gestured generally at the other people talking all around them.

"What about you, Miyako-san?" she asked politely. "How are you finding the Imperial Court?"
Crab Clan ❖ Bushi ❖ Large ❖ Benten's Blessing
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 2.0 ❖ Exceptional Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, fan. in battle: heavy armor, tetsubo

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:40 pm

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm
"They are not fond, and they do come out, indeed." Kinsen lets the tea cup on her lap and clacks her red fingernails on the porcelain while thinking.

Taking another look with her golden eyes at the self proclaimed cat-lady, the Kitsu-blooded woman smirks and inclines her head closer to whisper, "Can you transform?"
Sasori chuckled and moved closer to the Hantei woman. She takes her other fan and makes a small hall where none can see her lips as she whispers "You know that is not for me to say." She masterfully snapped the two fan closed with out even moving a hair on the Hantei woman as she retracted. "Some say spirits will leave this realm if their natures are found. I like it here neh." Sasori winked.
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Kinsen tilts her head at that comment, "So desuka?"

Straightening herself back into seiza, she takes a sip. "I confess I have never heard about that tale. Thank you for sharing."
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:14 pm
"Perhaps." Hikaru smiled gently. "But thus the dilemma every artist must face. How to perfectly recreate a feeling? Perhaps Lady Doji can do it, and indeed, her works inspire emotion." He shook his head, as gently as his smile. "But I fear I shall never know for certain."

He pursed his lips, considering Ayano. "I should still like to see your calligraphy sometime, Makime-sama. But I wonder, is there another art form which speaks to you?"
"Perhaps Doji-san your generalist approach will see you finally solve the great dilemma." Ayano chuckles softly, "Maybe the trick will be less one of perfection and...something else."

She rested her hands on the table, "I...haven't found another yet that truly speaks to me, for now I am just one who looks at the works of others and tries to articulate the emotions I feel. Which I find do not always seem to follow the artists. Fortunately most have found such differing views of their work a delightful experience in itself."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Hantei Genji wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm
"Oh? Tolerable? How are weddings in Dragon lands? I've never seen one. Or visited your lands, to be honest." He smiled, and barely managed to hold back a snicker. "Well, thankfully my younger sister is not Hanteihime. To be honest, there is a straightforwardedness in that name? Like Hida Ichiro for example. You know what to expect."
"Yeah. That makes sense!" She agreed enthusiastically. "I guess my parents went the simple route in naming us too? Hoshi, Tsuki, and Taiyo*. Mother sometimes does call us her little princess and princes though, but that's different. Like cute nicknames for kids. And only Taiyo is still a kid." That was a very important thing.

"You have a little sister then, right? What's she like? How old is she now? Is she here too?"

------------

*= star, moon, sun.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm
"Perhaps Doji-san your generalist approach will see you finally solve the great dilemma." Ayano chuckles softly, "Maybe the trick will be less one of perfection and...something else."

She rested her hands on the table, "I...haven't found another yet that truly speaks to me, for now I am just one who looks at the works of others and tries to articulate the emotions I feel. Which I find do not always seem to follow the artists. Fortunately most have found such differing views of their work a delightful experience in itself."
"It is not a question I expect to answer anytime soon." Hikaru looked down at his teacup as he took a sip. "I expect it will be the work of a lifetime. Or perhaps more than one."

This time, he paused a moment to refresh his own tea. "Perhaps I should show you some of my work, if you would like to see it." He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "I had expected to be here only long enough to take some sketches. But with the snow being what it is, perhaps I have time to create a painting. I shall have to consider my subject."