Breaking the Ice (D2, LM, Player Event)

Doji Hikaru

Re: Breaking the Ice (D2, LM, Player Event)

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm
"I see," Ayano nodded at his words, "But by doing so are you not diluting your talents? Can one really seek perfection in all forms of art?" She taps her cup, "Lady Makime believes that rare is the one who masters all aspects of war, but a great many can master one or two aspects and be taught to combine their efforts to make a more powerful whole. Would the same not be true in art? The painter paints the backdrop, the musician plays the melody, the writer writes the play, and the actor brings it to life? Separately beautiful but sublime when combined."
At the tap, Hikaru topped off her cup with fresh tea.

"Perhaps." Hikaru said, a bit of his smile returning. "To turn it to Akodo's art, there are those who are swordsmen, and those who are bowmen. But I should not wish to be in a situation where Lady Doji requires me to strike someone far away, and I must tell her I cannot, for I am a swordsman."

He paused a moment. "And so it is with art. When I see a sunrise, perhaps a painting is most appropriate. When I see a great beauty..." Hikaru took a careful sip of his tea, "-perhaps a poem is how I must express what I feel."

Carefully, he set his tea down. "But I don't deny that I have had the same thoughts as you. It is a dilemma that I have not yet resolved."
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Hisomu Ayeka wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Ayeka's hands remained folded in her lap til Kawauso finished pouring and reached for her cup. It would only be then that she reached for her own. "The energy of the reception certainly had a certain feel, that is certain. I prefer a more intimate setting for conversation myself. The informality of an event like this makes it easier to simply speak, does it not?"

Her smile broadens just a bit. "Tell me, Akodo-san, how do you serve the Lion?"
There's no delay in Kawauso reaching for her cup after gently setting the pot aside. She nods agreeably at "intimate" and "informal." Unless Ayeka is slow to take her cup, the Lion will raise hers to her nose for a moment before lowering it again to contemplate the scent.

"With sword, Hisomu-san, or more commonly with spear. It's the traditional weapon of my people and useful in many situations," she says, perhaps a little prideful. Noting her own tone, she corrects slightly: "But perhaps it's best to say I am a river guardian, for the Great Western River that borders Lord Akodo's lands is of great importance."
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:25 pm
There's no delay in Kawauso reaching for her cup after gently setting the pot aside. She nods agreeably at "intimate" and "informal." Unless Ayeka is slow to take her cup, the Lion will raise hers to her nose for a moment before lowering it again to contemplate the scent.

"With sword, Hisomu-san, or more commonly with spear. It's the traditional weapon of my people and useful in many situations," she says, perhaps a little prideful. Noting her own tone, she corrects slightly: "But perhaps it's best to say I am a river guardian, for the Great Western River that borders Lord Akodo's lands is of great importance."
Ayeka takes her cup as soon as Kawauo does. A slow, appreciative smell, then a sip. After a moment of contemplating the taste, she holds the cup gingerly in front of her.

"A fellow warrior, then. That is well met. I serve my clan with the blade as well, though my role is perhaps less defined than yours for the time being."
Spider | Bushi | Swordswoman | Idealist | Kind | Kouhai
Honor: A Soul Above Question | Status: 1 | Glory: 3

Carries: katana, fashionable kimono, fancy hat with silk veil, sake cup.

Companion: Shuri, cat.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 pm
At the tap, Hikaru topped off her cup with fresh tea.

"Perhaps." Hikaru said, a bit of his smile returning. "To turn it to Akodo's art, there are those who are swordsmen, and those who are bowmen. But I should not wish to be in a situation where Lady Doji requires me to strike someone far away, and I must tell her I cannot, for I am a swordsman."

He paused a moment. "And so it is with art. When I see a sunrise, perhaps a painting is most appropriate. When I see a great beauty..." Hikaru took a careful sip of his tea, "-perhaps a poem is how I must express what I feel."

Carefully, he set his tea down. "But I don't deny that I have had the same thoughts as you. It is a dilemma that I have not yet resolved."
Ayano smiled oddly at his words, "Akodo's art goes beyond the tools one uses to bring a foe's end. I speak of higher, Mother appoints a Master of Scouts - to oversee the tasks of scouting, a Master of Supplies to keep the army feed, a Master of Discipline to keep the army in line. And the sub-leaders, a Master of the Vanguard to control the foremost warriors, Master of the Rear to protect from ambush behind and hold the enemy if the army most retire from the field. I suppose it is different when it is controlling groups of people then when holding a blade."

She takes a sip, "But then again your words are true there I suppose. In the end they may all concentrate on one task but must be ready to do any other should the need arise. But like the bowman who must take up the sword and swordsman who must take up the bow, their skill will be lesser at the second skill."

Suddenly she blinks and then frowns in thought, "But it now has me wondering...if a place for more generalists could not be found. Perhaps to handle situations..." A shake then her frown deepens, "Forgive me I have pulled on thread that grows unfit for pleasant conversation."

The smile returned, "On your example for art...what do you do if both painting and poem are stirred together?"
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Hisomu Ayeka wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Ayeka takes her cup as soon as Kawauo does. A slow, appreciative smell, then a sip. After a moment of contemplating the taste, she holds the cup gingerly in front of her.

"A fellow warrior, then. That is well met. I serve my clan with the blade as well, though my role is perhaps less defined than yours for the time being."
"I am blessed to be continuing the work of my people. Lord Akodo recognized my father as his right hand in the lands along the river, and I help carry out his will. In some ways it's not so different as before the kami came." Her voice is a touch wistful, but there's no facial expression to go with it as she takes a sip of tea.

She smiles at the flavor, then looks seriously at Ayeka. "Wait, are we supposed to do something with the tasting? I have heard some people have rules about their tea drinking, but, ah, I am not familiar with them." She goes from slightly anxious to covering the anxiety with more formal words.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Wu Zhe

Post by Wu Zhe » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:00 pm

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:53 pm
Eager to meet someone new, Kyosei showed up, hair still a little wet from the hot springs, then the snow still coming down. He gave a quick bow, then looked for where he was supposed to sit.
A man in a simple green kimono of sturdy fabric with a red panda on his left shoulder detached himself from the mass of people and approached the Imperial

''Isawa Kyosei?'' he asked
Dragon Clan - Wu - Bushi -Tribal - Farmer - Dairy - Blessed
Honor: What is expected, Infamy: 1, Status: 4

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Makime Ayano wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 pm
Ayano smiled oddly at his words, "Akodo's art goes beyond the tools one uses to bring a foe's end. I speak of higher, Mother appoints a Master of Scouts - to oversee the tasks of scouting, a Master of Supplies to keep the army feed, a Master of Discipline to keep the army in line. And the sub-leaders, a Master of the Vanguard to control the foremost warriors, Master of the Rear to protect from ambush behind and hold the enemy if the army most retire from the field. I suppose it is different when it is controlling groups of people then when holding a blade."

She takes a sip, "But then again your words are true there I suppose. In the end they may all concentrate on one task but must be ready to do any other should the need arise. But like the bowman who must take up the sword and swordsman who must take up the bow, their skill will be lesser at the second skill."

Suddenly she blinks and then frowns in thought, "But it now has me wondering...if a place for more generalists could not be found. Perhaps to handle situations..." A shake then her frown deepens, "Forgive me I have pulled on thread that grows unfit for pleasant conversation."

The smile returned, "On your example for art...what do you do if both painting and poem are stirred together?"
Hikaru made a vague gesture with one hand. "While the horrors of the battlefield are perhaps not for pleasant conversation, war is our duty, and as we have said, it is an art. If you wish to discuss it, I would not be offended in the least."

He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "If I met a beautiful woman at sunrise, for instance? Creative arts are matters of self-expression. I suppose I would do what I felt moved to do. And I cannot say what I would feel moved to do until I found myself in those circumstances."

He frowned gently. "I find it difficult to explain. But I have painted and written poetry upon the same subject. And while my poem was perhaps more amateurish as compared to my painting, I do not think I was wrong to make the attempt."
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm

Ongaku Masanori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:04 am
Bayushi Kogi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 am

"Good day to you, sir Ongaku. I am Kogi, a vassal of the house of Bayushi-Kami--but I suppose someone mentioned that." She quirks an eyebrow--that, at least, is visible--and returns a bow of her own.

"Are you already busy? If this time is not propitious for tea and idle talk..." she flicks a curious glance at the readied writing materials, not quite what she'd expected to see laid out on the tea table.
"Of course not, forgive me."

Masanori, let the scroll roll shut, sliding it aside.

"I have a bad habit of bringing my work with me wherever I go - I confess I was taking note of who was attending, in case it was necessary for the histories to note it later."

A wry smile, "I suppose I would be most grateful if you might distract me with tea, and the necessity of being in the moment, rather than incessant concern with what will become of the past."
"Does Doji Tsubaki-san know you're cribbing her guest list?" There is probably a touch of humor there, though without being able to see Kogi's lips it's a little hard to say for sure.

"But, of course. Being in the moment is the reason we are here." She sweeps her robes neatly beneath her and settles down by the table. "Do you take tea, sir Ongaku? Whisked, or steeped?"
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Ongaku Masanori

Post by Ongaku Masanori » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

"I do indeed, and in any form."

He smirked faintly at the accusation of stealing the guest list, but it was an accurate summation of his duties.

"If it pleases you, I can leave our conversation off any record - should this event prove of later historical significance and require preservation."

Tucking his hands in his sleeves, he added, "Though we have now made note of my own duties, and perhaps unfortunate habit of focusing upon them, and yet I know nothing of the woman with whom I shall share tea. What would you like to say of your own duties or interests? What occupies your thoughts this morning?"
Imperial :: Ongaku :: Courier :: Horned :: Voice :: Sage
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Tanto, ceremonial attire, calligraphy kit, sake cup.
Profile :: Theme

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:09 pm
Sasori was puzzled then realized. "Of course," she nodded "Reiko Machiko sama... and Hisomu Susumu sama." She smiled. "I might be taking the baton of my mother becoming Bayushi no Kami dono's cat." Sasori giggled. "I am here looking for information and enjoying the wedding ceremony. Now, it seems we are some what in a conundrum since the snow impedes our outings."
"Nani?" Kinsen blinks with a puzzled expression, and repeats, "Neko?"
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Hisomu Ayeka

Post by Hisomu Ayeka » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 pm
"I am blessed to be continuing the work of my people. Lord Akodo recognized my father as his right hand in the lands along the river, and I help carry out his will. In some ways it's not so different as before the kami came." Her voice is a touch wistful, but there's no facial expression to go with it as she takes a sip of tea.

She smiles at the flavor, then looks seriously at Ayeka. "Wait, are we supposed to do something with the tasting? I have heard some people have rules about their tea drinking, but, ah, I am not familiar with them." She goes from slightly anxious to covering the anxiety with more formal words.
"Alas, my parents were priests, and I have no talent for priestly arts," Ayeka comments with a soft smile. "I am glad that people with experience are allowed to maintain their ancestral roles. No doubt the rivers are safer with your family's guidance."

She blinks at the sudden question, then shakes her head. "If there are rules or guidelines with the tea, you shall forgive me for being ignorant to them as well. We are here to know each other, not to stand on ceremony. Please, there is nothing to be concerned with so far as I believe."
Spider | Bushi | Swordswoman | Idealist | Kind | Kouhai
Honor: A Soul Above Question | Status: 1 | Glory: 3

Carries: katana, fashionable kimono, fancy hat with silk veil, sake cup.

Companion: Shuri, cat.

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:10 pm

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm
"Nani?" Kinsen blinks with a puzzled expression, and repeats, "Neko?"
Sasori used her fan to stop her laugher. "Bayushi no Kami has an odd sense of humor and during the tournament of the Kami mother used to sneak into Doji no kami's garden just to admire the plants. Bayushi no Kami always caught her, thus nicknaming my mother, neko chan."
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Ryoshun Rei

Post by Ryoshun Rei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 pm

Anjing Sagara wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:10 am
Sagara bowed in front of the girl (much older here). "I am honored with your presence Ryoshun Rei-sama." She rose after a prudential time. "I don't think much time has passed since I arrived myself." She added, "Or it could had been that I was hypnotized by the music. In either case I had not noticed time passing long." The woman offered some tea with a gesture of her hand towards the servant holding the tea pot already hot and emanating a perfumed steam into the air.
"Tea would be most welcome." she nodded to the servant, then turned her attention ack to Sagara. "I hope the rest of your morning has been as pleasant."
Bat Clan 🦇 Heir 🦇 Ishiken 🦇 Void 🦇 Spirit Guide 🦇 Ethereal 🦇 Pale 🦇 Lost in Thought 🦇 Engineer
Status 4 ⚪ Glory 3 ⚪ Honor: Untrustworthy

Carries: Tanto, Divination Kit, Medicine Kit, Lantern, Parchment, Seal, Water
Accompanied By: Hen

Akodo Daigoro

Post by Akodo Daigoro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:31 pm
Misaki was here, keeping warm and meeting for a Lion she had not met before. But, after all, was that not the point of such an event as this?
Arriving somewhat late to the party, the old Lion could be spied rubbing the back of his head fairly close to the doorway. He was peering out at the gathering, trying to spot another wallflower. Unless, of course, she was as late as him.

He peeked over his shoulder. Nope.
Honor: Exceptional * Glory: 3.0 * Status 1
Lion Clan * Bushi * Engineer * Ojichan * Missing Left Hand * Short * Patron Saint of Teamwork

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Bayushi Sasori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:10 pm
Sasori used her fan to stop her laugher. "Bayushi no Kami has an odd sense of humor and during the tournament of the Kami mother used to sneak into Doji no kami's garden just to admire the plants. Bayushi no Kami always caught her, thus nicknaming my mother, neko chan."
Kinsen frowns to that, and it is difficult to remove from her mind. Thus, she explains, "I was also someone' else's pet. Do you enjoy how you're treated?"
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Akodo Daigoro wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:01 pm
Doji Misaki wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:31 pm
Misaki was here, keeping warm and meeting for a Lion she had not met before. But, after all, was that not the point of such an event as this?
Arriving somewhat late to the party, the old Lion could be spied rubbing the back of his head fairly close to the doorway. He was peering out at the gathering, trying to spot another wallflower. Unless, of course, she was as late as him.

He peeked over his shoulder. Nope.
Misaki stood at the appearance of the Akodo, walking over to him and giving a bow, "Ah, greetings. You are Akodo Daigoro-sama then?"
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Akodo Daigoro

Post by Akodo Daigoro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Doji Misaki wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Misaki stood at the appearance of the Akodo, walking over to him and giving a bow, "Ah, greetings. You are Akodo Daigoro-sama then?"
He returned the bow. "That I am...Doji-san?"
Honor: Exceptional * Glory: 3.0 * Status 1
Lion Clan * Bushi * Engineer * Ojichan * Missing Left Hand * Short * Patron Saint of Teamwork

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Akodo Daigoro wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm
He returned the bow. "That I am...Doji-san?"
"That is correct. Misaki of the Doji, at your service."

She bowed deeply.

"We were paired up in the drawing, if you'd like to come sit with me?"

Misaki motioned over to the cushions at the table where she'd gotten up from, some tea still sitting there on the table.
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm

Doji Hikaru wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm
Hikaru made a vague gesture with one hand. "While the horrors of the battlefield are perhaps not for pleasant conversation, war is our duty, and as we have said, it is an art. If you wish to discuss it, I would not be offended in the least."

He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "If I met a beautiful woman at sunrise, for instance? Creative arts are matters of self-expression. I suppose I would do what I felt moved to do. And I cannot say what I would feel moved to do until I found myself in those circumstances."

He frowned gently. "I find it difficult to explain. But I have painted and written poetry upon the same subject. And while my poem was perhaps more amateurish as compared to my painting, I do not think I was wrong to make the attempt."
"Ah...no I mean, which must you do first? Every moment past the event that inspired you to create is another small fade in your memory. Your two works describing the same event would be subtlety different. To which would you prefer the greater accuracy, hence the one you do first." Ayano asks, "Moments are ephemeral, that is one thing that makes art so wonderful. To freeze a moment that will never come again exactly as it did before."
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Ongaku Masanori wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm
"I do indeed, and in any form."

He smirked faintly at the accusation of stealing the guest list, but it was an accurate summation of his duties.

"If it pleases you, I can leave our conversation off any record - should this event prove of later historical significance and require preservation."

Tucking his hands in his sleeves, he added, "Though we have now made note of my own duties, and perhaps unfortunate habit of focusing upon them, and yet I know nothing of the woman with whom I shall share tea. What would you like to say of your own duties or interests? What occupies your thoughts this morning?"
"Wouldn't anyone be more comfortable 'off the records?'" Kogi produces a slim bamboo fan from her sash and, without unfolding it, subtly signals one of Tsubaki's minions to bring some tea things. "History is the story people tell after the thing has happened. Who could stand to always be thinking about themselves as a character in someone's story?" She shakes her head a little, sending a subtle ripple down the silk length of her face veil.

An exhaled breath puffs out the cloth over her nose and chin. "I wish I could give a better account of my duties this morning, sir Ongaku. Truthfully, they ended last night at the Crane wedding--I came as an emissary from my lord Bayushi, who couldn't attend. Now there's no more wedding to witness, but it seems I can't go anywhere."
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒