[Day 1 EM, open] Cold Habits

Bayushi Kogi

[Day 1 EM, open] Cold Habits

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:02 am

The dojo is full of young Jiyo family students practicing with wooden spears, as it apparently will be every morning. However, Kogi has a routine to keep, and she prefers to suffer a little cold rather than change her habits. Wearing a quilted coat over (relatively) simple clothing, with the ends of her veil tucked cozily into the coat collar, she is tracing out the motions of an empty-hand kata in one of the garden's small plazas.

Her breath smokes in the chilly air; with each step, her sandals leave brush-like tracks in the frost that the low morning sun is quickly burning away from the pebble-mosaic pavement.
Scorpion ▪ Emissary (proto-courtier) ▪ Veiled
Glory: 2 ▪ Status: 2 ▪ Honor: Untrustworthy ▪ Description
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
Sometimes: Koto, medical kit, or daisho.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Re: [Day 1 EM, open] Cold Habits

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:25 am

"That is good form," a voice says, revealing an approaching monk. Moving to a spot at a comfortable distance, he picks up the same kata from the step she is on. He maintains sync with the Scorpions movements. "You must practice at least as frequently as I do."
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:31 am

In the narrow space between veils, the pupils of Kogi's eyes turn sidewards to see this new person without breaking her sequence... too much, anyway.

"The samurai is too generous. Form without substance, sadly." The silk covering her nose puffs out slightly with the force of a sigh.
Accoutrements: Extravagant clothing, veils, kanazashi and jewelry, fan, small sheaf of writing paper, etc.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:21 am

"Monk," Kuu corrects. "I am Kuu. And I often find that form can be it's own substance. Even if you don't practice the art that created this kata, it is still an exercise that brings health and calm. Beneficial for anyone." He smiles at her without breaking his stride in conversation or kata.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:50 pm

"Monk Kuu. My apologies." Another sidelong glance. "Then... you must belong to the 'Order of Heroes.' An honor to meet one of your number for the first time." She considers breaking her stride to converse properly, but seeing that Kuu seems inclined to keep going, When in the mountains, do as the mountain folk do, as the saying goes. Subtly, she begins to mirror his pacing rather than set her own.

"I am Kogi, and I serve the house of Bayushi." She concentrates for a moment on executing the next part of the sequence properly before adding, "Not often with strength of arms, though. If only practice alone brought mastery..." The voice floating out from her veil might be a little wry, or perhaps just dusted with old annoyance.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:03 am

"We hold people as masters of certain skills, but that is only because of our relative abilities. Mastery is a pursuit, not a result, and so mastery is practice," he says with a smile, his form never failing. He is moving at a leisurely but not slow pace, one that requires more focus on balance than body placement.

"I was aware that some of my compatriots had been sent to Scorpion lands for diplomatic purposes as much as to provide ministry to those who desired it. But our number is still quite small, so I am not surprised that most have never met one of us. Perhaps one day we may have the opportunity to build a shrine to honor the bravery and contributions of Bayushi Umeno, who fought beside the fallen Nezumi Ch'jak'matt during the expedition to free Hisomu-kami from his imprisonment."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:45 am

"Lady Bayushi Umeno yet lives." There's a note of surprise in Kogi's voice. "In the city at Beiden Pass."

She had always thought the Order of Heroes venerated martyred heroes, not living ones, though she's suddenly unsure why; internally, she chides herself for making unconscious assumptions. Perhaps it was because in the village of her childhood, householders offered spirit goods to their dead ancestors only, never the living ones (who would have little use for tiny paper garments and houses made of mud, anyway).
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:41 am

"I was not aware of her current location ors status, but a hero need not die in service to be respected as such. I am glad to hear she has found a home, and hope that she lives a long and rewarding life. Hopefully there won't be need for the empire to call on her in similarly drastic circumstances, but it makes me glad to know there are such heroes out there," Kuu continues the kata to its end before starting another common one.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:01 am

Kogi takes that in, eyelids half-lowering thoughtfully. "Are you here at court to... tell people tales of heroes, then, Monk Kuu?"

She finishes her kata along with Kuu, but then has to pause and watch for a moment to figure out which sequence he's doing next, and whether she knows it. It turns out to be familiar after all; she hastens through the first couple of moves to catch up, the movement of the cloth over her face showing that her breathing rate picks up a bit.
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am

"I'm actually here to discuss logistics, diplomacy and philosophy. As well as to record the happenings of my time here for our records. But I have told a few stories. Tomorrow evening, I have set aside time in the dining hall to allow others to tell stories of heroes they know, so that the order can honor those they don't know of yet. I would love to hear about Scorpion clan heroes there if you would be willing to share." He continues moving with ease, taking his time at a comfortable pace.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:30 pm

"Logistics, diplomacy and philosophy, and records," Kogi echoes, adding after a beat, "Your brief is rather close to mine. Apart from the philosophy, at least."

Although she knows this kata, it isn't one she had drilled quite as regularly back in Kyuden Bayushi, which means it takes up a bit more of her focus than the last one. Thus, there's a slightly longer pause before she continues, "I can't say I really know who is and is not a hero, Monk Kuu. Who am I to judge?"
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm

"It's not about judging. It is about recognizing effort and intent. Seeing those that give of themselves for the good of others. There have been and will be many heroes that will forever be unknown because they do not act seeking recognition from anyone. But occasionally their good works do get recognized and people talk," he says with a smile.

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm

"Intent is the difficult thing, though, isn't it?" Kogi muses, shaking her head a little to keep her veil in place as a brisk little winter breeze picks up suddenly. "So what about someone whose actions help others, but for a selfish reason?"
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:29 am

"I believe the term for that is mercenary. But they are not mutually exclusive things. Some of those that went on the expedition to rescue Hisomu-sama likely did so for selfish reasons. But the result they brought was worth more than what they could be rewarded with. And they also did so bravely, without knowing what they were going to face." He chuckles for a moment.

"If a man is paid to protect a village from bandits, the villagers likely don't mind his motivation. They appreciate the effort and results. What are a few trade goods or luxuries compared to their lives and livelihoods?"

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:22 am

A slightly sharper exhale punctuates the sound of Kogi's breathing. "Uff. That depends on the price he asks for his protection." She moves through what would be a series of palm strikes, if executed three times as fast and with any actual force. "And... someone who commits an act that some other people think is awful, but for a selfless reason?"
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:08 am

"Depends on the perspective of those who see what they have done. Not everyone will always agree that certain acts are heroic," he replies, continuing the kata alongside Koki. "Killing a group of diseased people to prevent the spread of the disease, rather than seeking a cure and keeping them isolated. Some might consider ending them a mercy to the sick and the lives of others that are threatened, others might think it's better to do everything they can to save each life. Not everyone will always agree on what a hero is. Not even in the Order. But when seeking out heroes for problems of the present, the Order's focus is on finding those with the skill and means to deal with problems of the present and near future."

Bayushi Kogi

Post by Bayushi Kogi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 pm

"I see. Heroism is not so simple." Neat brows arch in the space between Kogi's veils. "Do the people in your order ever disagree? About whether someone is a hero, I mean. Who decides then?"
是藥三分毒

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 pm

"We disagree all the time. I believe the primary purpose of monks may be to disagree with each other and try to come to terms," he says with a hearty laugh. "It tends to get decided when enough monks aware of a story agree that it is worth preserving and retelling. There may end up being tales of minor heroics that do not get retold frequently, but are still recorded. But many of the most heroic stories will likely be used as anecdotes and metaphors for contemporary issues, preserving them more robustly. I suppose that future generations will be the most influential judges of past heroics, by virtue of choosing which ones are retold or imitated the most. Which means my job is really to record as much as I can so that they have access to a great library."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:09 pm

"Oh, we definitely disagree all the time," barked a voice chuckling from another nearby part of the garden. Another monk began to walk into the presence of the two of them, bowing to Kuu and the Bayushi with equal deference. "And I swear that the stories change often enough with time that there will never be agreement. Makes for better stories, if you ask me."

As she rose from her bow, she smiled apologetically. "Brother. Apologies. I wasn't listening in. Just happened by. And ... uh... Bayushi-san. A pleasure. I am Nozomi and my daughter is somewhere in this garden." She folded her arms into her sleeves, smiling over at them. There was a bit of nerves there for a moment, but it faded soon afterwards. She never quite knew how to behave around the Scorpion.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 pm

Kuu nods to Nozomi, but continues his kata. He knew she's not mind... most monks were like that, not stopping what they were doing just because someone says hi. "How is young Mayumi-san doing?" he asks the 'senior' monk. Founder of the order does give a level of honorary rank even if they were technically social equals by everyone else's view. And so most monks were aware of Nozomi and the public knowledge of her life. Kuu in particular, as one of the order's most capable scribes, had been there to record Shinsei's words on several occasions and Nozomi was never really that far away by his understanding.