Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Chai Kotsume

Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Post by Chai Kotsume » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm

(OOC: Doing an observation and discussion thread for the Ice-fishing event here to avoid cluttering. Observers are welcome to talk about the events and interact with Participants here!)
Ki-Rin * Bushi * Trusting * Riverside Patrol/ Yoriki?
Status
: 1 * Honour: What is expected * Glory: 2

Animal trainer * Otter fisher * River peoples represent!
Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.
Battle-ready: Above plus Yari, Light Armour.

Jiyo Sora

Re: Ice Fishing - Observation/ Discussion thread (D4, EM)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Sora, having caught nothing- not even a cold!- squired his brood off of the ice.

"... I'm just saying, Dad, had you ever used a net before?"

"Not on fish. We used to cast them at birds."

"I mean, full marks for trying something new, but-"

"Phi, come on, give him a break..."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Makime Ayano

Post by Makime Ayano » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Ayano was there as an observer. She was happy for the warmth, but still not pleased with this....ice fishing. Her clan mate had been one of hosts and so the young Makime had decided to show some solidarity.

Which right now took the form of a grumpy Lioness, trying not to look grumpy, wrapped in a blanket and watching the proceedings. Strangely it did not look as difficult as she had thought. Well apart from the wandering in ice cold conditions.
Lion Clan • Tactician • Sage • Makime Heir Apparent • Favored by Daikoku • Easily Exhausted

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 pm
Sora, having caught nothing- not even a cold!- squired his brood off of the ice.

"... I'm just saying, Dad, had you ever used a net before?"

"Not on fish. We used to cast them at birds."

"I mean, full marks for trying something new, but-"

"Phi, come on, give him a break..."
Seeing the old man going back with the kids without any fish, Kotsume approaches them with quick feet, almost slipping on the way but quickly regaining her footing.

"Hey, Jiyo-san", she shakes her head, quickly correcting herself "eh.. -sama, I mean!"

She raises the basket on her left hand, some fish still moving about in it. "Anyone who fishes for a living knows there's good and bad days, eh?", she says half to the man himself, but mostly looking at the kids, a wide smile on her face. "And where I come from at leat, fishers know when one doesn't get enough for the day, others will help us have something to bite, ne?"
Status

Often with: Saen (Dark brown otter), Uen (Light brown otter), Chuuen (Walnut-coloured otter cub), Ryuusui (Pony)
Carries: Nage-yari or Tonfa (if allowed), travelling clothes or kimono-like gi, basket with otters, food for critters.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 pm

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 pm
Seeing the old man going back with the kids without any fish, Kotsume approaches them with quick feet, almost slipping on the way but quickly regaining her footing.

"Hey, Jiyo-san", she shakes her head, quickly correcting herself "eh.. -sama, I mean!"

She raises the basket on her left hand, some fish still moving about in it. "Anyone who fishes for a living knows there's good and bad days, eh?", she says half to the man himself, but mostly looking at the kids, a wide smile on her face. "And where I come from at leat, fishers know when one doesn't get enough for the day, others will help us have something to bite, ne?"
Sora grinned.

"The whole point of the Empire is that nobody goes it alone, Chai-san."

"Those otters are so cute! Wanna see my puppy!"

"Soryu!"

"Aw, Phi..."
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 pm

"Otters? How delightful. Hsieh-Hsieh, no upsetting the otters."

If he could see he would have been witness to a withering glare of top level vulpine 'I don't care about the HGGJFHFHJFCHGJFGHJGJ otters, as long as they give me a fish' standards.

Still, the fox sat and grinned at the other animals around, he'd even left his stick in a safe place as he was hoping for a good fish from this.
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Glory 4.0 * Status 9.9 * Honour As expected

Accompanied by Hsieh-Hsieh Image

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Kuu had been present to observe the fishing, but his personal desire to not hurt people or animals prevented him from getting involved. And so he sat on the ground engulfed in mystical body heat, to provide warmth as a campfire might for other observers. He was literally burning hot to the touch, but sat there watching with pleasant and focused attention.

----

D4 EM, Fishing Observation, The Body is an Anvil, Meditation/Void, TN 15: 6d10o10k3 37
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Chai Kotsume

Post by Chai Kotsume » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 pm
Sora grinned.

"The whole point of the Empire is that nobody goes it alone, Chai-san."

"Those otters are so cute! Wanna see my puppy!"

"Soryu!"

"Aw, Phi..."
The corner of her lips twist a bit, a bit oddly at first, but soon changing to a grin as she nods at Sora. "'course you're right, Sora-sama.", she says, then extends the basket to him. "Here, let's share, eh?", she says with a smile, that widens even more when she hears the kids mentioning the otters.

She kneels down a bit to meet their height. "Oi! Soryu-san, Phi-san?", she says as if confirming their names, looking at Sora a bit as she does. "Uen and Saen may be a bit busy for now, but you're welcome to meet them later, but... " she whistles, and the smaller otter that was closer to them starts making its way towards them, a bit awkwardly as cubs often do. "Chuuen, meet Phi and Soryu!", she says, grinning as she pats the animal's head when it gets closer.
Yuzuru wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 pm
"Otters? How delightful. Hsieh-Hsieh, no upsetting the otters."

If he could see he would have been witness to a withering glare of top level vulpine 'I don't care about the HGGJFHFHJFCHGJFGHJGJ otters, as long as they give me a fish' standards.

Still, the fox sat and grinned at the other animals around, he'd even left his stick in a safe place as he was hoping for a good fish from this.
After some time watching the kids play with Chuuen and trying to help make them get along, Kotsume sees the Emperor's consort walking towards the pool with the corner of her eye. After some more time playing with them, she excuses herself with a wide smile and a promise that they can meet the otters again to play later if they want to, and slowly walks closer to Yuzuru, with Chuuen in tow.

When she comes close enough, she kneels on the ice and bows her head to the ground. "Yuzuru-h...heika", she says, struggling a bit in remembering the right words, but finally saying them. "We're honoured to have you here". Looking at the fox sitting besides him, however, brought a wide, happy smile to her face. She hesitated a bit when she saw Chuuen slowly approaching the fox, holding it back a bit with her hands, but let it get close enough to start sniffing at least. "Oi, Chuuen-chan, be respectful!", she said, urgently but clearly cheerful. "Meet Hsieh-hsieh-denka, Yuzuru-heika's fox", he said to the otter in a low, tone, then directed her speech to the Consort again, in a quieter, more respectful tone. "I'm sorry, Yuzuru-heika! Chuuen-tan is just so curious!", she said.

To her surprise, the otter cub suddenly reached into the basket, falling down inside it and throwing out on the ice one of the few fish still inside.
Status

Doji Misaki

Post by Doji Misaki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:28 am

Having gotten some good testing in with the fox-lure, Misaki went over to warm up. The test had gone better than expected, and she looked over the lure to see if any damage had been done to it as she warmed her hands.
Crane Clan ✿ Architect ✿ Engineer ✿ Gardener ✿ Pure White Flower ✿ Pious
Glory: 2 | Status: 1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question
---------------------------------
Often carrying: plain but immaculately kept priestess' clothes
In the Wilderness: walking staff, yumi and arrows

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:45 am

After her demonstration, Kawauso observed the various participants and circled through the small crowd. At one point, having seen the cold and frustrated Dragon with the ethereal look who she'd been hoping to run into earlier, Kawauso seeks her out.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:38 am

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:45 am
After her demonstration, Kawauso observed the various participants and circled through the small crowd. At one point, having seen the cold and frustrated Dragon with the ethereal look who she'd been hoping to run into earlier, Kawauso seeks her out.
The cold and wet Dragon was warming herself by one of the fires, and as she put her hands to her mouth to warm them there seemed to be vague hints of flames at the corners.

"Achoo!"
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Honor: What Is Expected 🐉 Status: 3.0 🐉 Glory: 2.0
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 am

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:38 am

The cold and wet Dragon was warming herself by one of the fires, and as she put her hands to her mouth to warm them there seemed to be vague hints of flames at the corners.

"Achoo!"
"Erm, Dragonnnn-sama," the Akodo inquires as she approaches, really unsure what she's seeing but looking at it with the curiosity of an otter eyeing an unknown type of fish. Kawauso does manage to remember herself and bow in a respectable fashion. "Dragon-sama, I am Akodo Kawauso. I had been hoping to find you so I might offer a compliment." The Lion's eyes remain sparkly with curiosity about the special being before her, but there's a warm and friendly smile to go with the look now.
Lion Clan bushi * Spear master * Person of the river * Practical * Doesn't get out much
Carries, in respectable places: rustic tunic and pants, daisho. Outdoors, adds: worn but well maintained woolen cloak and big damn spear.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:36 am

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am
The corner of her lips twist a bit, a bit oddly at first, but soon changing to a grin as she nods at Sora. "'course you're right, Sora-sama.", she says, then extends the basket to him. "Here, let's share, eh?", she says with a smile, that widens even more when she hears the kids mentioning the otters.

She kneels down a bit to meet their height. "Oi! Soryu-san, Phi-san?", she says as if confirming their names, looking at Sora a bit as she does. "Uen and Saen may be a bit busy for now, but you're welcome to meet them later, but... " she whistles, and the smaller otter that was closer to them starts making its way towards them, a bit awkwardly as cubs often do. "Chuuen, meet Phi and Soryu!", she says, grinning as she pats the animal's head when it gets closer.
"Whoa! Neat!"

"Be gentle, Soryu, Chuuen's like Chomper, still pretty young..."

Shirayuki rolled her eyes at Phi's speech. "Gets bossier every year..."

"You say 'bossy,' 'Yuki, I say "responsible.'"

"Is there a difference?"

Sora just rolled his eyes and started cleaning some fish.

Current Theme

Yuzuru

Post by Yuzuru » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:52 pm

Chai Kotsume wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am
After some time watching the kids play with Chuuen and trying to help make them get along, Kotsume sees the Emperor's consort walking towards the pool with the corner of her eye. After some more time playing with them, she excuses herself with a wide smile and a promise that they can meet the otters again to play later if they want to, and slowly walks closer to Yuzuru, with Chuuen in tow.

When she comes close enough, she kneels on the ice and bows her head to the ground. "Yuzuru-h...heika", she says, struggling a bit in remembering the right words, but finally saying them. "We're honoured to have you here". Looking at the fox sitting besides him, however, brought a wide, happy smile to her face. She hesitated a bit when she saw Chuuen slowly approaching the fox, holding it back a bit with her hands, but let it get close enough to start sniffing at least. "Oi, Chuuen-chan, be respectful!", she said, urgently but clearly cheerful. "Meet Hsieh-hsieh-denka, Yuzuru-heika's fox", he said to the otter in a low, tone, then directed her speech to the Consort again, in a quieter, more respectful tone. "I'm sorry, Yuzuru-heika! Chuuen-tan is just so curious!", she said.

To her surprise, the otter cub suddenly reached into the basket, falling down inside it and throwing out on the ice one of the few fish still inside.
"Chai-san, don't worry. Hsieh-Hsieh is usually well behaved around other animals. Except perhaps chickens. Even I have difficulty restraining him when those are around. Are you actually using the otters to fish for you? Or a combination of net and otter?"

It seemed like the Consort knew something of fishing?

Meanwhile Hsieh-Hsieh was growling softly at the young otter in between snacking noisily on his fish. They seemed to be getting along just fine.
Imperial Consort * Shugenja * Blind * Seer * Prophet * Daimyo * Touched * Ayakashi

Glory 4.0 * Status 9.9 * Honour As expected

Accompanied by Hsieh-Hsieh Image

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 am
"Erm, Dragonnnn-sama," the Akodo inquires as she approaches, really unsure what she's seeing but looking at it with the curiosity of an otter eyeing an unknown type of fish. Kawauso does manage to remember herself and bow in a respectable fashion. "Dragon-sama, I am Akodo Kawauso. I had been hoping to find you so I might offer a compliment." The Lion's eyes remain sparkly with curiosity about the special being before her, but there's a warm and friendly smile to go with the look now.
"Eh?" the princess blinked with some confusion at the mention of compliments. "But I didn't c-c-c-c-catch any fish... compliments on how to get soaked maybe?" She laughed a little at her own expense, clearly not thinking herself above her own mishaps and failures.
Dragon • Daughter of the Dragon • Fire • Shugenja • Sassy Princess • Otherworldly Beauty • Tattooed • Blessed By The Heavens
Theme | Profile
Has: Wakizashi, small knife, yumi and quiver (on occassion), scrolls, jade bracelet, Guqin (on occassion).

Bayushi Sasori

Post by Bayushi Sasori » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Sasori saw an open bench and took a seat. She will watch people go by but her mind elsewhere not paying much attention to any particular thing.
☆Scorpion ☆Courtier ☆Dangerous Beauty ☆Bland ☆Silent ☆Fan girl
Carries: fan, cat mask, warfan
Followed by: Shino (black cat)

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Kuu wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:56 pm
Kuu had been present to observe the fishing, but his personal desire to not hurt people or animals prevented him from getting involved. And so he sat on the ground engulfed in mystical body heat, to provide warmth as a campfire might for other observers. He was literally burning hot to the touch, but sat there watching with pleasant and focused attention.

----

D4 EM, Fishing Observation, The Body is an Anvil, Meditation/Void, TN 15: 6d10o10k3 37
Since the fish wasn't biting today, Ayumu returned the fishing rod, and rubbing his hands and joints to chase the cold, went to the campfire to finish restoring a proper blood flow through his body.

Except it wasn't a campfire. And while it wasn't the most bizarre thing Ayumu had ever witnessed, it was definitely a most bizarre thing.

"Good morning Kuu-san. An intriguing trick you've got there."
Imperial • Bushi • Isawa Tribe • Experienced

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:15 pm

"Eh?" the princess blinked with some confusion at the mention of compliments. "But I didn't c-c-c-c-catch any fish... compliments on how to get soaked maybe?" She laughed a little at her own expense, clearly not thinking herself above her own mishaps and failures.
Kawauso laughs gently and continues smiling. "Ah, a compliment from the other night, actually. At the gift-giving. You said something about us not bothering the bride and groom so they could do married people things, and it was... So exactly how I felt. I mean, I said what I was supposed to say, but I wish I had been brave like you." There's a little sparkle of adoration in the Lions eyes, although she's too embarrassed to look for too long before looking down.

Togashi Satsuki

Post by Togashi Satsuki » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Akodo Kawauso wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 pm
Kawauso laughs gently and continues smiling. "Ah, a compliment from the other night, actually. At the gift-giving. You said something about us not bothering the bride and groom so they could do married people things, and it was... So exactly how I felt. I mean, I said what I was supposed to say, but I wish I had been brave like you." There's a little sparkle of adoration in the Lions eyes, although she's too embarrassed to look for too long before looking down.
"Oh, uh..." Satsuki smiled sheepishly. "Thank you. Usually I get in trouble for speaking my mind like that. I just... well, didn't see the point in all the fanfare. Marriages among the Dragon are more quiet affairs, private for the couple and their closest. So... ah... thanks. I don't really understand the ways of the other clans sometimes."
Theme | Profile

Akodo Kawauso

Post by Akodo Kawauso » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Togashi Satsuki wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 pm

"Oh, uh..." Satsuki smiled sheepishly. "Thank you. Usually I get in trouble for speaking my mind like that. I just... well, didn't see the point in all the fanfare. Marriages among the Dragon are more quiet affairs, private for the couple and their closest. So... ah... thanks. I don't really understand the ways of the other clans sometimes."
The honesty puts Kawauso more at ease, but no less admiring of Satsuki.

"Quieter, more traditional... it's like that for my people too," Kawauso nods approvingly. "I guess... this..." she says, waving gently toward the castle, "is maybe the way that we'll all go? I'm afraid I don't understand it, but, um, I'm just a river guardian. Maybe the fancy ways are better, somehow," she suggests, not really believing but not sure it's ok to question.