[D2EM] True Wisdom (Limited)

Doji Hikaru

[D2EM] True Wisdom (Limited)

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:48 pm

(pls ask)

It was not every day that one sought an audience with the Emperor. And yet, for most of his adult life, Hikaru saw Lady Doji nearly every day. How much did the status of one god over another matter, when they were all so far above a mortal like him? And perhaps the near constant exposure to Lady Doji inured Hikaru against being overawed by Shiba.

Nevertheless, he did dress in his finest kimono, in soft blues, whites and greys, and spent even more time than usual in his morning care routine, before making his way to the audience hall. And there he would wait, patiently, until Shiba met with him or he was turned away.
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Kakita

Re: [D2EM] True Wisdom (Limited)

Post by Kakita » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Having received a note from his old schoolmate Kakita made his way to the palace early that morning as well.

He walked up the corridor after the Crane samurai had already arrived. Once met by the sight of Hikaru waiting at the door Kakita gave his old companion a polite nod of greeting.
Bat Clan | Mystical Sword | Daimyo | Avian-like | Kenku-trained | Demon Cutter

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:01 pm

A messenger from the duty rota had reached Sora, and while he hadn't made any particular effort to finish Kinyoubi's foot massage early, he had skipped breakfast to be in attendance, in one of his better kimono.

I mean, it's a Crane, he's probably here to blither about why we need to be harsher in our social stratification or something, but if the Boss thought to have me turn up...
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme
Current Influence: All gone!

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 pm

It takes a few moments for Shiba to arrive, but when he does, he seems to raise the energy of the room. Visually, most everything seems to brighten, while the shadows in at least one corner of the room darken slightly with the change in lighting. He's dressed relatively simply at the moment, but seems resplendent in it nonetheless. For Hikaru there was a surprisingly palpable difference between he and Doji - perhaps simply a matter of the Sun's favor on her voice in Ningen-do.

Still, he nods to each of them as he arrives. "Good morning to both of you." He glanced to Sora. "And Sora-san, my old friend."

He settled into a formal sitting position, his leg folded under him and hands resting on them. "What brings you before me?"
Imperial Families | Kami | Emperor | Clear Thinker | Enlightened | Paragon of Compassion | Precise Memory | Sage

Honor: 10.0, Status: 10.0, Glory: 10.0

Run by GM Canary

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pm

Hikaru blinked, then bowed low. "Good morning to you, Emperor Shiba. Thank you for honoring us with this meeting. Know that I do not take this honor for granted; if there is anything that I might do to aid you, you need only ask."

He straightened, casting a glance about the room, his brow furrowing. This was an unfamiliar situation he found himself in, even as one of Lady Doji's retainers. He'd witnessed audiences with gods, but with the exception of Doji herself, this was the first one he had been granted.

Hikaru took a deep breath. "It is said that of all your divine family, you are the most learned. It is for this reason that I sought an audience; not because you are Emperor, but because you are wise." He bowed again.

When he straightened, his face was grim, and when he spoke, his voice was lower. "My question is this: Do you know what sorts of illnesses could afflict the Kami?"
Crane Clan * Loyal Retainer * Questing Samurai * Dangerous Beauty * Very Flammable * Stick Bearer

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 pm

His eyes widen slightly. "No diseases of Ningen-do that I am aware of. We are somewhat more vulnerable to spiritual maladies and the jealousy of the realms - clearly, given that we are mortal - but less so than most beings."

"Do you speak of my sister's troubles?"
Imperial Families | Kami | Emperor | Clear Thinker | Enlightened | Paragon of Compassion | Precise Memory | Sage

Run by GM Canary

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:03 pm

Maybe all of that time around Nanzi has finally gotten to her.

Sora frowned. Doji had never been a Kami he particularly liked, and watching what she and Nanzi were doing had caused him no end of aggravation (and had resulted in a couple of extracurricular jobs for some of his followers), but anything that could sicken her could potentially sicken the Emperor.

"The jealousy of the Realms, Shiba-sama?"

A vision he'd had the day before started to curdle in his gut.

What did they bring here?!
ImperialAssassin and former Babysitter • Experienced 2 • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru Veteran • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin • Probably Older Than You • Librarian • Literally Went to Hell One Time

Current Theme

Wears: Relatively simple kimono in Imperial colors most of the time, although he has armor handy if things look dicey.
Carries: A daisho, at least one scroll, a Nezumi Memory Stick, and some dried flower petals.

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:16 pm

"This is more Hisomu's specialty than my own, but I know enough about it to explain. Each of the realms likes to take possession of things and creatures that enter their domain," Shiba explained. "Ningen-do, for instance, is referred that way as a matter of its most prominent residents, but it might more accurately be called the Realm of Mortality. It afflicts the capability of death on all who enter - one of the most powerful effects of all of the spirit realms. You have observed Jigoku's warping of all it touches, Sora-san. That's another example. Each realm has something like that."

Run by GM Canary

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 pm

"I do." Hikaru said, his voice quiet but firm. "Lady Doji's health has become worse as of late, enough to prevent her coming here to witness this wedding."

His lips pressed together a moment. "In truth, your answer does not surprise me. I already suspected that Lady Doji's troubles, as you say, would be supernatural. What mortal illness could afflict a god?" He shook his head, then looked at Shiba once more. "Have you any idea what it might be? What could be done? I don't know where I would begin." His face was calm, but hands briefly clenched down at his sides.

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:27 pm

"I will do my best to help, Doji-san. Is there any more you can tell me about what you've observed?" He asked, voice soft, though still infused with the power of a god.

Run by GM Canary

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Sora made a discrete hand sign to the Emperor. Anyone familiar with the sign language developed during the trip south would.... not recognize the sign.

I think I need to tell my Emperor what I've seen and what I'm trying to do about it...

Current Theme

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 pm

Hikaru took a deep breath. "At first, it was only fatigue that afflicted her. But it's gotten worse as time has passed. Now... have you ever seen someone who, though asleep, walks about as though awake? And sometimes speaks? So it has been with Lady Doji."

His frown deepened. "And sometimes when she writes... there are other characters mixed in. I do not recognize them, nor have I yet met any who do. But it as though they infiltrate her writing, entering it unannounced."

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 pm

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 pm
Sora made a discrete hand sign to the Emperor. Anyone familiar with the sign language developed during the trip south would.... not recognize the sign.

I think I need to tell my Emperor what I've seen and what I'm trying to do about it...
The Emperor merely blinked immediately after. It was an acknowledgment. They would speak later.
Doji Hikaru wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 pm
Hikaru took a deep breath. "At first, it was only fatigue that afflicted her. But it's gotten worse as time has passed. Now... have you ever seen someone who, though asleep, walks about as though awake? And sometimes speaks? So it has been with Lady Doji."

His frown deepened. "And sometimes when she writes... there are other characters mixed in. I do not recognize them, nor have I yet met any who do. But it as though they infiltrate her writing, entering it unannounced."
Shiba rubbed a hand over his mouth, brows furrowing. "I have heard of strange things happening when people are robbed of sleep... Do you have any of that writing? Or could you reproduce it?"

Run by GM Canary

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:41 am

If Hikaru noticed the hand signal, he gave no acknowledgement of it; most likely, he did not.

He gave a slow nod, reaching into his kimono. From there, he drew out a piece of paper, worn, but very fine. "This is a poem written by Lady Doji. You can see the strange characters scattered throughout. I have carried this with me for a year."

He bowed before he approached the Emperor, offering it to him with both hands.

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:44 am

He accepted the scroll. "Her condition has been this serious for that long?"

Run by GM Canary

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:48 am

"And has gotten worse in that time." Hikaru said grimly. He gestured to the scroll with open palm. "This was the first instance of such. I was dismayed to learn that it continued, and grew more common, as time passed."

Kakita

Post by Kakita » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 am

Kakita stood next to Hikaru listening to the condition of the Lady Doji for the first time... and the fire within him bloomed and climbed higher within his soul.
Bat Clan | Mystical Sword | Daimyo | Avian-like | Kenku-trained | Demon Cutter

- 逸材の花より挑み続け咲いた一輪が美しい-

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:39 am

Shiba looked over the writing. "... The writing is like nothing I recognize, but it might simply be a script from another part of the world we are yet unfamiliar with. Perhaps I should speak with that young lady from the Ivory Kingdoms..." He sounded doubtful that this was the correct conclusion despite himself.

Run by GM Canary

Doji Hikaru

Post by Doji Hikaru » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:46 am

Hikaru frowned. "But why would Lady Doji be writing in their script? Would something from their lands be making her sick? Or possessing her, somehow?" A muscle in his jaw twitched.

Shiba

Post by Shiba » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:49 am

"In all honesty, I highly doubt it," he replied. "I'm just exhausting all possibilities."

Run by GM Canary