[D2, EA] Imperial Court, Part 1 (Open, Event)

Isawa Kyosei

Re: [D2, EA] Imperial Court, Part 1 (Open, Event)

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:38 am

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:26 am

"The first lesson in preparation is that you are never prepared," she said in a tone that was about as monastic as she ever got. Her body posture didn't change, but she nodded in response to the talk of the old crow. Her daughter looked up curiously and Nozomi glanced down, a brief look of worry flitting on her features. She was even more upset that they were here suddenly, but she remembered Matsu. Matsu had been no younger. She'd endured. She'd bled, fought and ... Mayumi would be no different. "Always be prepared, right daughter?"

She nodded. "Always prepare for the unexpected, and you will never be surprised," the girl chirped up.

"The bird tends to see the forest. He has companions and those who see trees where he flutters far above the concerns of the world. Knowing him, he'll be busy... being what he is. I will endeavor to try and get him some grain to have a moment with his ear if you don't." Her lips thinned. "He should be made aware. I have never stopped being prepared for this, not for a day of my life. I doubt any of us ever completely came back, Isawa-sama. That journey changed us. I meant to make sure it changed only us."
"I am no -sama." It is almost reflexive at this point. "I did get some rest; having a safe home far from where those events took place, helped me, at least. But, I do understand. And, while I have a few small stones, I also have the larger piece. I take it with me, and in all my travels it has not been needed, yet I still feel it has some importance ahead of it."

He looks at the daughter. "How does one prepare for the unexpected? It may seem easy to say, but the actual doing? Not so easy."
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 2 • Jade • Earth • Granite

Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Hadananzi

Post by Hadananzi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 am

Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:19 am
"While it may not be mundane to those outside the order, these techniques are things that anyone might learn. Some who have an existing understanding of the elements and their chi, shugenja and monks not of the order, can adapt them by studying with us. But there is nothing barring even the clumsiest, frailest or closed minded individual from learning to perform such feats. All humans are born with the potential for it, unlike magic where the kami have to be willing to listen to you," he explains. "It is the primary reason why some join our order... to learn to master their body and spirit."
"Your order sounds quite formidable then. I would hate to cross one of your brethren on a bad day." Hadananzi smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Any human capable of such feats?

"May I ask what brings you to the imperial capitol this winter?"
Crane Clan | Bushi | Charismatic | Groom of Ananzihime

Honor: 5.5, Status: 5.0, Glory: 3.0

Played by GM Bakuriel

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:51 am

Kinsen arrives to court fashionably late. Too many things to prepare for the ball this evening took some of her time. She sees that many were already there, including her shining son, the handsome groom, and those otherworldly beauties that are her nieces.

It was also, the first time she experienced someone else's emanating light from the dias that was not her own husband. She bows low to the Emperor and provides a warm smile to the Consort, reminding the time she cooked a meal to them to the three of them before this all happened.

She does squint her eyes to get a better glimpse of the rather familiar fox. All those years ago. Could it be?

--
PM if you approach
Stag • Mom • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Nails • Golden • Hearts • Yuki-onna
DescriptionTheme • Honor: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.3 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Daisho, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:02 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:38 am
"I am no -sama." It is almost reflexive at this point. "I did get some rest; having a safe home far from where those events took place, helped me, at least. But, I do understand. And, while I have a few small stones, I also have the larger piece. I take it with me, and in all my travels it has not been needed, yet I still feel it has some importance ahead of it."

He looks at the daughter. "How does one prepare for the unexpected? It may seem easy to say, but the actual doing? Not so easy."
She chuckled and gave him a little bow and wink. "You're kind, but I'm a simple monk in the end, whatever travels we shared." Her head gestured towards the august god in their midst and she smiled over at him. "And in august company I'll defer to Lady Doji's ways as best I can, even if I still have too much of the back woods in me for some tastes." At the end, she recognized that technically a monk was a peasant and she played this game carefully.

"If I were to give a recommendation in fashion, it would be that such stones never went out of style," she said, adding a cheeky element to her smirk that belied the severity of the situation, an implication that everyone should wear jade. Always. "I am glad to know that you brought it with. Perhaps we should trade with our neighbors for more one day. It would do us all good."

She glanced at her own daughter, raising an eyebrow. "Well?" she added as Mayumi looked a bit like reciting a lesson. "With eyes open and clear. See what is there before you, and keep your gaze keen always. And then, put aside what you assume a thing means. It may be something else entirely. Assumptions are the most dangerous thing, because then you only see what is expected, and the world is not what we think it is. It simply is." Yeah definitely sounded recited, but it was something her mother had taught her. A lot.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Status - 1.0, Honor - "What is Expected," Glory - 3.0, Current Influence - 4
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Accompanied By: Her daughter, Mayumi (14)
Always Checks for Lying Darkness Corruption with Scorpion
CharacterProfile * Theme Song * (The safe word is still "Sea Cucumber")

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:10 am

Hadananzi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 am
"Your order sounds quite formidable then. I would hate to cross one of your brethren on a bad day." Hadananzi smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Any human capable of such feats?

"May I ask what brings you to the imperial capitol this winter?"
"I am a scribe of my order, so I travel a lot of places with others to record various happenings for our libraries. But we also are an order focused on encouraging the spirit of heroism in the empire. Sharing tales of past and present heroes while seeking out present and future heroes. As I understand the story, Shinsei identified those among the expedition south that were the most likely to succeed in bringing Hisomu-sama back from his imprisonment. Much like that example, the order hopes to identify future dangers and identify those that are willing and able to stand against them. Because it is often key individuals or small groups of people that inspire the rest to victory."
Order of Heroes ° Monk ° Calligrapher ° Ascetic

Glory: 1.5 | Status: 1.0 | Honor: What is Expected
Carries: Calligrapher's Kit

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 am

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:02 am

She chuckled and gave him a little bow and wink. "You're kind, but I'm a simple monk in the end, whatever travels we shared." Her head gestured towards the august god in their midst and she smiled over at him. "And in august company I'll defer to Lady Doji's ways as best I can, even if I still have too much of the back woods in me for some tastes." At the end, she recognized that technically a monk was a peasant and she played this game carefully.

"If I were to give a recommendation in fashion, it would be that such stones never went out of style," she said, adding a cheeky element to her smirk that belied the severity of the situation, an implication that everyone should wear jade. Always. "I am glad to know that you brought it with. Perhaps we should trade with our neighbors for more one day. It would do us all good."

She glanced at her own daughter, raising an eyebrow. "Well?" she added as Mayumi looked a bit like reciting a lesson. "With eyes open and clear. See what is there before you, and keep your gaze keen always. And then, put aside what you assume a thing means. It may be something else entirely. Assumptions are the most dangerous thing, because then you only see what is expected, and the world is not what we think it is. It simply is." Yeah definitely sounded recited, but it was something her mother had taught her. A lot.
Kyosei shakes his head at her game. He can understand the use of the terms, but grew up without them for the most part. "I am carrying a few small stones myself at the moment. While making a bracelet, or sewing them onto robes or kimono would be nice, my skills do not extend so far."

Turning to the young lady, he adds "There is one other, I have found. Just a little older than you, I thought I could withstand the world alone, but I have found, as I grow older, the wisdom in looking for trustworthy companions, for many reasons. They will have skills you do not. They can cover your back. And they will see things differently from you."
Imperial • Shugenja • Mine-Overseer • Trader • Experienced 2 • Jade • Earth • Granite

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 am
Kyosei shakes his head at her game. He can understand the use of the terms, but grew up without them for the most part. "I am carrying a few small stones myself at the moment. While making a bracelet, or sewing them onto robes or kimono would be nice, my skills do not extend so far."

Turning to the young lady, he adds "There is one other, I have found. Just a little older than you, I thought I could withstand the world alone, but I have found, as I grow older, the wisdom in looking for trustworthy companions, for many reasons. They will have skills you do not. They can cover your back. And they will see things differently from you."
She hated Doji's game, truth told. It wasn't hidden on her face. She was a backwoods killer turned monk. -sama and -san weren't her way, but she was conscious of reflections she had on the others of the order, so she played along, at least in public places like this. still, she liked that he'd tried to say that. They'd been through enough together hadn't they?

"Heh, there just aren't enough jewelers in the world are there?" she quipped in fake sadness. "Perhaps there will be another opportunity someday to promote the fashion statement. For now, I'm making sure to keep to mine." And if anything came near her daughter, giving it to her. Damnit, if she'd known, she would have done whatever she needed for another finger, like she'd given to Matsu years ago. She almost cursed herself for it.

Mayumi nodded. "We fall alone. Together, we are greater than we are apart. Mother said that once. And so did the little teacher. You've met him, haven't you?" Someone had absolutely no clue that they'd been talking about him already.
Monk * Ascetic * Experienced Phi * Mom * Disciple of Shinsei * Disturbing Countenance (Albino) * Shinsei's Receptionist?!?
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:24 am

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 am

She hated Doji's game, truth told. It wasn't hidden on her face. She was a backwoods killer turned monk. -sama and -san weren't her way, but she was conscious of reflections she had on the others of the order, so she played along, at least in public places like this. still, she liked that he'd tried to say that. They'd been through enough together hadn't they?

"Heh, there just aren't enough jewelers in the world are there?" she quipped in fake sadness. "Perhaps there will be another opportunity someday to promote the fashion statement. For now, I'm making sure to keep to mine." And if anything came near her daughter, giving it to her. Damnit, if she'd known, she would have done whatever she needed for another finger, like she'd given to Matsu years ago. She almost cursed herself for it.

Mayumi nodded. "We fall alone. Together, we are greater than we are apart. Mother said that once. And so did the little teacher. You've met him, haven't you?" Someone had absolutely no clue that they'd been talking about him already.
"I met him, yes. We disagreed on several points, but I respect what he did, and could do. I only hope he might have the same respect for me. And yes, that encapsulates what I was saying even better."

Hadananzi

Post by Hadananzi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:26 am

Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:10 am
"I am a scribe of my order, so I travel a lot of places with others to record various happenings for our libraries. But we also are an order focused on encouraging the spirit of heroism in the empire. Sharing tales of past and present heroes while seeking out present and future heroes. As I understand the story, Shinsei identified those among the expedition south that were the most likely to succeed in bringing Hisomu-sama back from his imprisonment. Much like that example, the order hopes to identify future dangers and identify those that are willing and able to stand against them. Because it is often key individuals or small groups of people that inspire the rest to victory."
"The spirit of heroism. Sounds like a lovely ideal to live up to. I've heard much of this Shinsei, though I've not had the pleasure of meeting him myself... You say he identified the people who saved Hisomu-kami? How did he achieve that?" Hadananzi inclined his head to the side in a curious gesture, though one of his eyebrows twitched imperceptibly at the direction the conversation was going.

Played by GM Bakuriel

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:24 am
"I met him, yes. We disagreed on several points, but I respect what he did, and could do. I only hope he might have the same respect for me. And yes, that encapsulates what I was saying even better."
"If there is one thing I have learned at the feet of the Little Teacher," she said, certain she could speak more openly like this because it was his teachings they were discussing, not the possibility of evil or the taint. "It is that he has much more respect than any imagine for the fact that we each walk our own path. I have argued with him more than once in my life. I know as much."

She'd once called him an idiot and threatened to send him to hell in front of a god. Oh man, people could have disagreements with Shinsei.

"Even among the orders, we are not all the same. And I think we're better for the variety. The empire is good to have you as well."

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:42 am

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 am
"If there is one thing I have learned at the feet of the Little Teacher," she said, certain she could speak more openly like this because it was his teachings they were discussing, not the possibility of evil or the taint. "It is that he has much more respect than any imagine for the fact that we each walk our own path. I have argued with him more than once in my life. I know as much."

She'd once called him an idiot and threatened to send him to hell in front of a god. Oh man, people could have disagreements with Shinsei.

"Even among the orders, we are not all the same. And I think we're better for the variety. The empire is good to have you as well."
"Variety is good. As is working together - part of why I worked so hard to integrate the Isawa tribe and the Empire. Otherwise, it would have lead to war. And, while I think the Isawa would eventually have lost, I do not think it would have been so one-sided as others might think it would be. And, together, we really are stronger."

"Heh. Isn't it said of Void that it is made up of the other four elements, in perfect unity, while having none of them? Heard that from the head of the Isawa. I do wonder how a meeting between he and Shinsei might go. Heh." Kyosei shakes his head slowly. "Circling back around a bit, could you, quietly, also pass on my message, and the warning of the other?"

Yoshitsune Chizu

Post by Yoshitsune Chizu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:46 am

Yoshitsune Chizu was in court that day as well, in her nicest clothes and holding a courtier's fan. The Crab woman stood near the back, but her height still easily allowed her to see the proceedings. Though Chizu had no particular business for the Emperor, it seemed important to see and be seen at these things.

Chizu watched and learned.
Crab Clan ❖ Bushi ❖ Large ❖ Benten's Blessing
Status 1.0 ❖ Glory 2.0 ❖ Exceptional Honor
in court: sturdy clothing, fan. in battle: heavy armor, tetsubo

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:50 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:42 am
"Variety is good. As is working together - part of why I worked so hard to integrate the Isawa tribe and the Empire. Otherwise, it would have lead to war. And, while I think the Isawa would eventually have lost, I do not think it would have been so one-sided as others might think it would be. And, together, we really are stronger."

"Heh. Isn't it said of Void that it is made up of the other four elements, in perfect unity, while having none of them? Heard that from the head of the Isawa. I do wonder how a meeting between he and Shinsei might go. Heh." Kyosei shakes his head slowly. "Circling back around a bit, could you, quietly, also pass on my message, and the warning of the other?"
"We each had old ways to put aside. The empire is blessed that you put the effort into helping them see that, and I am grateful others were there for the remnants of ones I have traveled beside." And as he said, they were stronger together. Mayumi nodded vigorously, murmuring about the fact that they were truly powerful.

She nodded. Glancing around. "I believe that I can pass word along. Likely not today. He is ... occupied at present, but I will have a moment to speak with him tomorrow. I am certain of it. One way or another, he will know that we've spoken, and he will understand the importance." he knew all about Sora's visions as well. "Even if he already imagines, it will be important that it be confirmed."

No, there was absolute certainty in her voice. She was pretty sure she wouldn't be able to find that bald bastard today, but he was going to hear all about this in the morning, one way or another. Too many constraints on his time in events like this made it hard to speak, but there was no way in hell she was avoiding warning him that there was a threat to the empire's integrity right here possibly.

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52 am

Hadananzi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:26 am
"The spirit of heroism. Sounds like a lovely ideal to live up to. I've heard much of this Shinsei, though I've not had the pleasure of meeting him myself... You say he identified the people who saved Hisomu-kami? How did he achieve that?" Hadananzi inclined his head to the side in a curious gesture, though one of his eyebrows twitched imperceptibly at the direction the conversation was going.
"I couldn't tell you, as I was not there. It is part of the story of our foundation, part of the idea that blossomed into the order. But where Shinsei may have identified or selected, we encourage and aid those with the potential to perform great deeds. In fact, we are trained in actually passing along that encouragement with our spirits and chi. We can connect to others through an unseen force and literally exert effort to help them succeed. It's taxing, but even a little nudge might be the difference between success and failure. And success can inspire confidence and courage."

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 am

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:50 am

"We each had old ways to put aside. The empire is blessed that you put the effort into helping them see that, and I am grateful others were there for the remnants of ones I have traveled beside." And as he said, they were stronger together. Mayumi nodded vigorously, murmuring about the fact that they were truly powerful.

She nodded. Glancing around. "I believe that I can pass word along. Likely not today. He is ... occupied at present, but I will have a moment to speak with him tomorrow. I am certain of it. One way or another, he will know that we've spoken, and he will understand the importance." he knew all about Sora's visions as well. "Even if he already imagines, it will be important that it be confirmed."

No, there was absolute certainty in her voice. She was pretty sure she wouldn't be able to find that bald bastard today, but he was going to hear all about this in the morning, one way or another. Too many constraints on his time in events like this made it hard to speak, but there was no way in hell she was avoiding warning him that there was a threat to the empire's integrity right here possibly.
"Him, yes, but others too. Some I did not have a good relationship with, others I simply didn't meet at all, though we traveled together for weeks. Such happens in a grouping such as we had."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:05 am

Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 am

"Him, yes, but others too. Some I did not have a good relationship with, others I simply didn't meet at all, though we traveled together for weeks. Such happens in a grouping such as we had."
"Ah, sorry. It's a way I sometimes speak of the Hikaru. It was a former life, after all." She managed a little uncomfortable grunt and smile. "I am grateful that bloodshed was avoided with my former kin as well, to be clear."

Hadananzi

Post by Hadananzi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:19 am

Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52 am

"I couldn't tell you, as I was not there. It is part of the story of our foundation, part of the idea that blossomed into the order. But where Shinsei may have identified or selected, we encourage and aid those with the potential to perform great deeds. In fact, we are trained in actually passing along that encouragement with our spirits and chi. We can connect to others through an unseen force and literally exert effort to help them succeed. It's taxing, but even a little nudge might be the difference between success and failure. And success can inspire confidence and courage."
"Fascinating, truly fascinating. I never would have thought mankind was capable of such power." The way Hadananzi said mankind was a bit off putting. "And anyone can achieve this through study and meditation? It seems a small price to pay for such great rewards."

Played by GM Bakuriel

Kuu

Post by Kuu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 am

Hadananzi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:19 am
"Fascinating, truly fascinating. I never would have thought mankind was capable of such power." The way Hadananzi said mankind was a bit off putting. "And anyone can achieve this through study and meditation? It seems a small price to pay for such great rewards."
"Anyone, yes. Though that particular ability is only taught to members of the order," he says. "Many of the other abilities with more direct physical effects we may teach to someone with the aptitude, depending on the nature of their desire to learn. Typically friends and allies that have shown they believe in our aims even if they don't follow such themselves or if they have performed services for the order."

Isawa Kyosei

Post by Isawa Kyosei » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:44 am

Nozomi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:05 am
Isawa Kyosei wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 am

"Ah, sorry. It's a way I sometimes speak of the Hikaru. It was a former life, after all." She managed a little uncomfortable grunt and smile. "I am grateful that bloodshed was avoided with my former kin as well, to be clear."
Kyosei shakes his head. "I think we have split our trails. I meant both the old bird, and others from that trip so long ago, who might also be present for this winter."

Hadananzi

Post by Hadananzi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:50 am

Kuu wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 am
"Anyone, yes. Though that particular ability is only taught to members of the order," he says. "Many of the other abilities with more direct physical effects we may teach to someone with the aptitude, depending on the nature of their desire to learn. Typically friends and allies that have shown they believe in our aims even if they don't follow such themselves or if they have performed services for the order."
"Oh, of course. Teaching such simply to anyone doesn't speak to the heart of finding heroes. Anyone can be a hero, but not everyone will be. There need be villains for there to be heroes to oppose them, yes? It wouldn't do well to teach powerful techniques to those who might misuse them for personal gain and glory."

Played by GM Bakuriel